5 Replies Latest reply: May 26, 2010 8:19 PM by ArizonaSackbut RSS

Cant connect to slingbox

kwilkins

I have moved from California to Texas...I brought my slingbox with me, one that had worked great since August of last year.

Now I am trying to set up at my new place.  I have direct tv and 2 wire by att for my internet and tv services.  I have connected my slingbox and both lights are solid red...however when I try to connect to my slingbox it says that I can not connect and there is an error...

I have the ethernet cord plugged up onto the 2wire from my slingbox and my computer is on the same wireless network and my internet works fine so I know thats not the problem.

Why does it say it can not connect or locate my slingbox which is already registered and both lights are solid red.

I even tried to unistall old slingplayer and install slingplayer 2.0 and reset my slingbox and it still didnt work.

What do I need to do to get it working...this is extremely frustrating because the fact that you have to pay for technical support absurd

• Re: Cant connect to slingbox
          ArizonaSackbut Apprentice

HI kwilkins,

Sounds like you've hooked everything up properly and are on the right track.

The most common reason I've seen for what you're describing is that the Slingbox needs a hard reset.

I know you've tried that, are you sure it succeeded ?  If not, poke and hold the reset button for around five seconds until the lights blink.  Keep holding until they go from fast blinking to slow blinking, then let go.  About 30 seconds later it should be finished starting back up.  A solid power and network light is what you're looking for.

Have you tried setup.slingbox.com ?

Have you tried from a different computer ?

Any other details or clues you've noticed might be helpful.

Good luck,

- Az

kwilkins

Hey,

I have solid lights...so thats not the problem...

I have not tried the 30 second hard reset...I will try that...

However I dont have another computer to try it with...it is the same laptop that I used and has worked before...

So I couldn't tell you what is wrong and when I used the set up assistant...it says no slingbox detected...but when I log in it shows my slingbox in my directory...

Any other ideas...I will try the hard reset when I get home

ArizonaSackbut Apprentice
                  I have solid lights...so thats not the problem...

If the Slingbox is still retaining the network settings from the old router and senses the new router over ethernet, it will show a solid network light even though it's not working (wrong network info).  That's what the hard reset is supposed to fix, it forces the Slingbox to purge the old network info and accept new settings from the router.  There might be something else going on, but what you're describing is still consistent with a Slingbox in need of a hard reset.

I have not tried the 30 second hard reset...I will try that...

Cool.  I'll keep my fingers crossed.    You don't need to hold the button for 30 seconds, just until the lights stop blinking fast.  Reset + Restart is what takes 30 seconds or so, the whole process.

Here's a support doc if you care to read the full instructions:

http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-5000054.html

However I dont have another computer to try it with...it is the same laptop that I used and has worked before...

No problem, I asked about that because it's sometimes helpful to try with a second computer.  It's easier to isolate problem spots while troubleshooting that way.

So I couldn't tell you what is wrong and when I used the set up assistant...it says no slingbox detected...but when I log in it shows my slingbox in my directory...

Okay.  Again, that's consistent with a Slingbox in need of a reset.  Setup can't find the Slingbox because it's network settings are goofy (it's there but not answering), the Directory still shows it because it's been added to the list previously.  Once things get rolling, that directory listing should automatically update with the correct network information.  No need to worry about that now.

Any other ideas...I will try the hard reset when I get home

Nope, not yet.   Let's see how the reset goes first.  From your descriptions, that really should work.

- Az