4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 28, 2013 6:21 PM by callanish RSS

Two slingbox solo units

wperzel

I have not bought my Slingbox yet but I plan to connect it to my WD Live TV. I was told by my reseller that I need to buy two. One at the cable modem end and one at the computer/WD Live TV end. I tried to find a download for the Quickstart Guide to answer the question for myself. but was not able to find anything but the User guide

So two questions:

Do I need two?

Is the Quickstart Guide still available on-line?

Warren

• Re: Two slingbox solo units
          callanish Apprentice

Noop, he's wrong. The slingbox just needs a connected device to stream to and that would be, in your case, a WdTV live box. No second box required to receive the slingbox stream.

wperzel

To callanish;

Thank you for your prompt answer. To expand on your answer, when you say a connected device, you mean connected to the internet such as my WD TV or computer or such.

Thank you.

Warren

callanish Apprentice

Correct. Any device running googletv, the wdtv live hardware, the discontinued older boxee, and the slingcatcher are classed as connected devices due to their direct interaction with your slingbox. Computer's aren't really classed as a connected device and have their own platform, so sling doesn't include them in the same category, but your point stands.

I'm running both a slingcatcher and wdtv live to two solo's remotely and although the wdtv live does work fine for me, it's still a buggy platform and a little inconvenient for remote control use due to the layout, but like I said, it still works. For me, wirelessly connecting through the wdtv live to my slingbox has caused a few disconnections, whereas directly using an ethernet cable has made the stream pretty solid. You'll hear positive and negative things with all connected devices, but a few firmware updates have improved the streaming stability for use with the wdtv live. The only other issue you might come across is a buffer build up when accessing remote functions. In other words, the delay when you press a function on the wdtv live remote increases the more you use it while running your slingbox. It also applies to the google tv boxes, so It's something we hope will be fixed in a future firmware update.

To your original question. One connected device and one slingbox is all you need to get things up and running. If you have a good fast stable internet connection on both ends, you should be good to go.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask them.