3 Replies Latest reply: Feb 4, 2013 7:18 AM by donaldrb RSS

Slingbox doesnt work outside of home network

kfigg

My Slingbox works just fine when im at home (HD quality and all), but for some reason lately it does not work when I am not inside my house. The slingbox worked just fine as recently as 3 weeks ago but for the last couple of weeks I get the message that says its not accessible.

Nothing in my home network has changed. And its not just on my computer because it doesnt work on my phone when im not at home either.

Anyone know what the issue may be and how I can fix it?

• Re: Slingbox doesnt work outside of home network
          chakkarinen Apprentice

Since you can view it from within your local area network in your home, I am guessing that the SB is getting an appropriate local IP address from your router.   But since you can not access it from outside your local area network, I suspect that your cable modem (or DSL modem) has hiccupped and is blocking transmissions.   For starters, you might perform a cold reboot of both the modem and the router, and then perhaps also do a soft reset of the SB.

trivers1979 Newbie

Hello kfigg,

Thank you for using our online answers forum. I am sorry to hear your having issues accessing your Slingbox outside of your home location. It sounds like Internet Viewing might not be configured properly. At this point I would recommend going to Setup.Slingbox.com and go through and test the Internet Viewing. After running the Internet Viewing setup, the only message we would like to see is Internet Viewing is ready, if you see any message besides that then we will have to go through and do a port forward. If that's the case you can use our setup assistant or you can also go to portforward.com.

Here are a couple links to help try and troubleshoot your issue further.

Hope this helps, feel free to reply back with any other questions or concerns you might have!

Regards,

The Sling Moderation Team

donaldrb

Hello,

My apologies for adding my question as a response to kfigg’s post, but I’m not clear on how to create an original post.  Anyway, my problem is identical to kfigg’s, so I thought this would be an appropriate place to post my question.

As in kfigg’s case, I have a Slingbox Pro HD which works fine when accessed from within my home network, but doesn’t respond when accessed from outside the home network (see network topology diagram - 59-41). 

I should also note I was able to access the Slingbox when I was last away from the house, back in March 2012.  There have been no significant or relevant changes to my network since that time.

I believe that the problem is that sometime since March, my ISP has changed my external IP address.  It’s clear that when the support.slingbox.com site is accessed, the new IP address is not being displayed (see graphic - 53-07).  That would seem to me to be at the root of the problem.

Since I discovered this problem, I have been attempting to change the outside IP address on the support.slingbox.com site to the known new updated address.

I was advised by Slingbox technical support that the outside IP address can only be changed while connected to the home network and (you guessed it) I’m currently 2100 km away trying to get this working with the aid of a friendly neighbour.

I had my neighbour access the support.slingbox.com site from within my network, but it didn’t appear that it was possible to change the external IP address from that specific page location (see graphic).  As a side note, he was able to confirm that the Slingbox is working from inside my network.

So, with all of that said, here are my questions.

Is iIs it possible to manually change the external IP address of my Slingbox from somewhere on the Slingbox.com site? 

a.       If so, where on the Slingbox.com site is that accomplished?  Where do I direct my neighbour to go once he is back over to my home network? 

b.      If it is not possible to manually change the external IP address within the Slingbox site, how are external IP address changes (like the one I’ve experienced) get transferred into the Slingbox.com site?  Is there anything you can provide or recommend that will help me get this system working from my remote location?

Regards,

Rob Donald