14 Replies Latest reply: Jun 19, 2010 10:58 AM by eferz RSS

weak or no video signal when using slingbox with dvd recorder

boutete

I have a LG DVD recorder (LGR435).  When I plug it between my satellite receiver and my slingbox, I get a "weak or no video signal".  Everything works fine when I plug the slingbox directly to the satellite receiver...

would a signal booster help ?  better cables ? (like s-video instead of rca cables)

• Re: weak or no video signal when using slingbox with dvd recorder
          ArizonaSackbut Apprentice

Hi Boutete,

Do not use a booster amp between the sat box and Solo, you might end up cooking your Slingbox.

Weak/No Video Signal errors almost always turn out to be caused by no signal, and usually come down to one of these things:

- Bad wires / Improper connection

- The source is not plugged in to the Slingbox input you're trying to watch

- The source is not turned on (no kidding, it happens)

- HDMI is being used somewhere in the overall set up

You've already completed a key test- the Slingbox is working properly when connected directly to the sat box.  I'd say bad wires are possible but very unlikely.  That leaves the SlingPlayer's input selection (check your menus) or HDMI.  Have you checked to make sure the LG recorder works on your TV without the Slingbox ?

If you post back with additional details about what equipment you have and how it's all connected, we should be able to pinpoint what's going on.  From your description so far, I suspect you are using HDMI from sat box > TV.

- Az

boutete

the dvd recorder works fine with tv and with slingbox

here's my connection...

cable - sat - dvd recorder - slingbox - TV:  can see the signal from the dvd, but when it's off, i can't see the sat

cable - sat - slingbox - TV: everything works

as for input selection, the lgr435 is not in the in the list

what is HDMI ?

ArizonaSackbut Apprentice

Hi Boutete,

here's my connection...

cable - sat - dvd recorder - slingbox - TV:  can see the signal from the dvd, but when it's off, i can't see the sat

cable - sat - slingbox - TV: everything works

Okay, I understand you now.  That makes sense.  When the DVD recorder is off, it stops passing the sat box signal through.  I have a Philips DVD/Hard Disk recorder, it does the same thing.

The only normal way around that on the Sling Solo is to put the Slingbox between the sat box and DVD (you won't be able to sling the DVD but it'll work fine on the TV), or leave things alone and keep DVD recorder turned on when you're watching.  Unfortunately you can't use two different Slingbox inputs or you run into audio problems.

as for input selection, the lgr435 is not in the in the list

To make the on-screen SlingPlayer remote work, you're correct.  However I was talking about switching between the component, composite and S-Video inputs on the back of the Slingbox.  It doesn't matter now though, that doesn't appear to be your problem.

You may be able to use a custom remote file for your DVD recorder.  If you can find one, you will be able to control the DVD from the SlingPlayer on-screen remote.  Many people do this, that's how I got my Philips DVD to work.  Post a new thread with the specific LG model number and ask if anyone has a custom remote for it.  Someone else might be able to help you with it.

what is HDMI ?

It's a newer type of cable that (usually) carries both audio and video.  Lots of flat TVs and cable/sat boxes use that, among other devices.  It looks like this:

HDMI Cable.jpg

HDMI Male Closeup.jpg

Click to Enlarge

HDMI is cool, but it has a copy protection scheme built into the spec called HDCP.  The problem with Slingbox is that it doesn't generate the "Everything's okay, no piracy here" signal that HDCP expects.  No HDCP signal = No Picture.  Further, Slingbox counts as a TV and some devices don't cooperate when you try to connect two displays up at the same time.  The use of HDCP is inconsistent and tends to cause a bunch of annoying connection headaches.

Good luck,

- Az

boutete

thanks a lot !

I'll have to "finish" the dvd I write and read them in my laptop insted...