14 Replies Latest reply: Oct 31, 2013 6:34 AM by Ger RSS

Slingbox 500 in Sweden

BÅW

Can I use a slingbox 500 in Sweden if I buy it from America

• Re: Slingbox 500 in Sweden
          D4gG3R

I'm wondering the exact same thing.

Does the Slingbox 500 work with both PAL (Europe) and NTSC (USA)?

Nevermind that we need to buy another power supply cord.. It only costs about 9$

As long as it supports PAL, as all the other Slingboxes do that they allready sell here does, it should work just fine togeather with my iPhone and iPad right???

Best Regards,

Dag Hansson

alanrichey42 Master

PAL/NTSC is irrelevant, as the 500 doesn't have a built in tuner.   It has only composite, component and HDMI, all of which are global standards.   And you won't need a new lead as the power supply is 110-250V, all you need is a simple adaptor.

The 350 & 500 can be used anywhere in the world, you just have to lie when it asks for your location and specify the USA and a random ZIP code.  That is used only for the program guide, it doesn't affect the operation.  In fact, if Sling made a one line change and an 'Other' option in addition to USA & Canada, that then skipped the Guide setup, both boxes would be globally capable.

D4gG3R

Thank you so much for the response..

I find it strange that if you ask the Slingbox-crew they answer that it only works/is supported in USA/Canada.

It should be in there interest to sell the box worldwide??

alanrichey42 Master

That's because they don't provide support outside of the USA/Canada.  That will take some time to set up I guess and cost them a lot of money.  But I agree they shouldn't say it doesn't work.

D4gG3R

Okay. That sounds about right..

Hey Alan, I have two other questions that i hope you might answer for me since you seem to know pretty much about Sling ...

1)

Is it ONLY possible to connect the SB500 to an DVR, or would it also be possible to connect it to my reciever which of course has both HDMI and Component-OUT..

What i wonder is.. If I use all my HDMI inputs to other AV-devices, like my DVR, would it not then be possible to just use one HDMI-cable from the HDMI-output from my reciever, and then the HDMI-out from the SB500 to the TV.

It it matters, I belive it don't, Ive got an Onkyo TX-1007 (http://www.eu.onkyo.com/en/products/tx-nr1007-35289.html).

2)

Is it then ONLY possible to use the SB500 to sling my DVR (Live TV) - content? Or could it also sling away other video sources to my iPad.. like the audio and video from my PS3.

Split question.

Do you think it could accutaly sling away a live game to my iPad to i can see and hear the game I have inside the PS3 on my iPad?

And/or do you think the SB500 could sling a blu-ray movie, that's inside the PS3, to my iPad?

I have a very stable 100Mbit fiber connection, a very very good router, and enough tech-stuff (iTach for the Wifi-to-IR, IR extenders and blasters to reach all my IR products like TV/Reciever, IR-to-RF to control lights/lamps with NEXA, and Logitechs IR-Bluetooth to control the PS3) to remoty control everything at home from my iPhone/iPad allready.. but I'm currenty wondering if there's any way to "sling" my PS3 game to my iPad, and then just use the iPad like a remote TV-screen, since i allready can controll my PS3 fully from my iPhone over 3G (or WiFi of course). In another words I want to use my iPhone as a remote control while I can see my PS3 game on the iPad <=> I can play my PS3 on the fly anywhere...

Not because it will be perfect resolution and without lag..

But just because I can, and think it's awesome how tech-stuff work togeather.

I'm looking forward from your answer, whenever you have the time. =)

Best regards from Sweden,

Dag Hansson

alanrichey42 Master
                              Hey Alan, I have two other questions that i hope you might answer for me since you seem to know pretty much about Sling ...

Actually my expertise is limited to the area of virtual remotes, but I will have a go.

Is it ONLY possible to connect the SB500 to an DVR, or would it also be possible to connect it to my reciever which of course has both HDMI and Component-OUT..

What i wonder is.. If I use all my HDMI inputs to other AV-devices, like my DVR, would it not then be possible to just use one HDMI-cable from the HDMI-output from my reciever, and then the HDMI-out from the SB500 to the TV.

It it matters, I belive it don't, Ive got an Onkyo TX-1007 (http://www.eu.onkyo.com/en/products/tx-nr1007-35289.html).

That is how the Slingbox is designed to operate, using the HDMI pass through, so not sure I read your question correctly.

2)  Is it then ONLY possible to use the SB500 to sling my DVR (Live TV) - content? Or could it also sling away other video sources to my iPad.. like the audio and video from my PS3.

Split question.

Do you think it could accutaly sling away a live game to my iPad to i can see and hear the game I have inside the PS3 on my iPad?

And/or do you think the SB500 could sling a blu-ray movie, that's inside the PS3, to my iPad?

Again,  a confusing question.   The Slingbox will sling any content you put into either of the 3 inputs, it doesn't care what they are.

The only problem with multiple devices is the audio, as while you have 3 possible video inputs (HDMI, component and composite), you have only 2 audio sources (HDMI and composite).   Although I have successfully streamed 3 devices by passing the red/white audio through a 'Y' splitter.

Also, you can run into problems with HDCP if you use seperate devices on the HDMI and component inputs,  The only way to find that out is to try it, as it doesn't depend on the Slingbox or the AV device, it depends on your TV/Cable/Satellite provider.

If I haven't answered the questions can you try rephrasing them to make them a bit simpler ?

Al

D4gG3R

Thanks for your answers..

"The Slingbox will sling any content you put into either of the 3 inputs, it doesn't care what they are." Was pretty much the one I was looking for.

Well, what I didn't know was that SB sling all the AV-material that is passed through it.. I first tought that it only slinged TV (via a DVR).

But this is exellent.. then I only have to connect the SB500 between the TV and the reciever to make it possible to sling whatever is connected to the reciever, regardless of which connection/cables it has, since the output from the reciever is HDMI.

I only have to change the "source" on the reciever if I want to sling the PS3, Mac mini, popcorn hour or DVR.. .. NICE!

By doing this it will never be a problem to connect several devices to SB500, since the reciver does all the work,

and I can use both HDMI and the component-cable to "be safe" that it works regardless of any possible HDCP.. =)

Thanks!

/Best regards,

Dag