7 Replies Latest reply: Jan 26, 2013 7:36 AM by alanrichey42 RSS

virtaul Sling remote for Triax DVB 354 TX - 01

mpontoppidan

Hello,

Sorry, but the text of my first question was truncated. Here is what it should have been:

Winth my Slingbox Solo I have two DVB receivers, one STRONG and one Triax 354TX.

The combination with the Strong reciveiver works well by use of the TSR400 Bin-file from the Sling library, but the availabe Bin-file for the Triax does not work at all.

I have tried a couple of hundred alternative files from the library, bt without succes.

Can anybody please help to find the Bin-file, which will work with my Triax receiver?

Thanks,

Michael

• Re: virtaul Sling remote for Triax DVB 354 TX - 01
            alanrichey42 Master

So what happened ?  Did it work ?

mpontoppidan

Hello Alan,

First of all, it did work at the end, but to arrive at that, the steps to

accomplish are a little more complicated than the “readme” file indicates.

As it might be of interest for others in the same situation I will give a

short explanation:

1.     My Slingbox Solo purchased in October 2012 was installed on the PC

with the custom installation from Sling Support, hereafter referred to as

“Original”.

2.     The Original installation does not provide the SBAV directory in the

Slingplayer folder. Therefore I created the SBAV folder and installed the

two BIN-files.

3.     First approach was to use the Original SW setup assistant to

configure Video Sources. It simply does not work. It does not propose to use

“Cable” as device and “Other” as manufacturer. Dead end !!

4.     Next approach was to try to install an independent Slingplayer

2.0.4, hereafter referred to as “Alternative player”. Do not try to use the

Download.slingmedia.com-link. It supplied a completely useless FLV-player,

which furthermore put my XP-SP3 system in crisis and consequently had to be

immediately desinstalled.

5.     Next step was to look up on the net a third part supplier and the

nearest to find was an independent Slingplayer version 2.0.3508.

6.     Once the Alternative player installed it began a series of update

loops on the Sling site. Furthermore it provided, in its base directory

located on a different local hard disk on my PC, directly the SBAV folder

into which the C2010-bin files could be copied.

7.     Inside the Alternative player the change in video sources operated

by the “Cable/Other/C2010” sequence does work and finally a remote; which

works with the Triax DVB 354 receiver pops up.

I did this rather detailed description to enable an eventual update of the

“readme” file if somebody has the possibility to do it. I do not know who

can perform an update.

Anyway thanks for the help.

Best regards,

Michal

alanrichey42 Master

Thanks for the comprehenive reply.  However there are a couple of things that I need clarifying, as you either didn't read the instructions very well   Or they need changing, and I am always open to suggestions.

2.     The Original installation does not provide the SBAV directory in the

Slingplayer folder. Therefore I created the SBAV folder and installed the

two BIN-files.

You haven't defined exactly what your 'Original' installation was, but you should not have had to create the \SBAV\ folder unless you were mixing the 2 different installation methods.   I talk about the \SBAV\ directory ONLY in the section that discusses installations using the standalone Slingplayer (2.04 at the moment) not the web-based player.

3.     First approach was to use the Original SW setup assistant to

configure Video Sources. It simply does not work. It does not propose to use

“Cable” as device and “Other” as manufacturer. Dead end !!

OK, don't understand that.  As far back as V1.5 that has worked.  What EXACTLY was your 'original' software ?

4.     Next approach was to try to install an independent Slingplayer

2.0.4, hereafter referred to as “Alternative player”. Do not try to use the

Download.slingmedia.com-link. It supplied a completely useless FLV-player,

which furthermore put my XP-SP3 system in crisis and consequently had to be

immediately desinstalled.

Are you talking about the link in the instructions ?  http://download.slingmedia.com/player/pc/SlingPlayer-2.0.4-Setup.exe ?

That has worked OK for everyone else, including me, be interested to know EXACTLY what happened to you.

6.     Once the Alternative player installed it began a series of update

loops on the Sling site. Furthermore it provided, in its base directory

located on a different local hard disk on my PC, directly the SBAV folder

into which the C2010-bin files could be copied.

Sorry, not sure what you mean here.    Are you saying the \SBAV\ path I suggest is wrong ?

7.     Inside the Alternative player the change in video sources operated

by the “Cable/Other/C2010” sequence does work and finally a remote; which

works with the Triax DVB 354 receiver pops up.

Good

I did this rather detailed description to enable an eventual update of the

“readme” file if somebody has the possibility to do it. I do not know who

can perform an update.

It's me, I wrote it and keep updating it as users make suggestions.   I thought it was about right now, although obviously not.  I'm happy to update it but you haven't really made any concrete suggestions.  Please do so and I will consider them.

Cheers

Al

mpontoppidan

Hi Allan,

I will try to be a little more specific about the items you asked about.

When I bought the Slingbox Solo I followed the instruction manual and

installed the web-based player, which is the version referred to as

“Original”.  As a matter of fact this installation does not provide the SBAV

folder in the Sling player directory. So if one wants to use the setting

setup approach of this version the SBAV folder with the BIN-files must be

installed manually.

The reason for which I decided to try the alternative stand alone player

2.04 (2.03.508 updated to 2.04.521) installed on a different disk (d:/) was

that the original approach’s setting for video sources does not allow the

“Cable/Other/Custom” entry, only already existing Sling remotes can be

loaded by this mode.

At this point could be asked why Sling does not include the C2010 remote,

which works in their panel instead of the non-working remote they suggest

for the Triax?

For the link

http://download.slingmedia.com/player/pc/SlingPlayer-2.0.4-Setup.exe" I

directly copied it into my browser (IE8), which responds that the link

cannot be attained. So for me this approach did not work.

That I finally ended up with the FLV player may have been an independent

action from the browser, but this was not a success.

At this point the rest of the work was done with the alternative stand alone

player (2.04.521) to which I had to add the SBAV folder with the BIN-files.

This was not done by the basic installation. As you know using the

alternative player you can use the “Cable/Other/Custom” sequence and the

obtained remote works well.

I hope by this I did clarify the pending questions.

Best regards,

Michael

alanrichey42 Master

Thanks, here are my answers

When I bought the Slingbox Solo I followed the instruction manual and

installed the web-based player, which is the version referred to as

“Original”.  As a matter of fact this installation does not provide the SBAV

folder in the Sling player directory. So if one wants to use the setting

setup approach of this version the SBAV folder with the BIN-files must be

installed manually.

OK, I am reasonably happy that it is made clear in the instructions that the \SBAV\ folder is only used if you are doing the installation with the standalone player. It states:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"If you want to install using the Web-based player then Sling have provided instructions at http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-1000320.html.  Once you have installed the remote continue reading this file for extra information.

Alternatively, if you are using the standalone program then here are step-by-step instructions."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And if you follow the link to the Sling-provided installation procedure for the Web playee the \SBAV\ folder is never mentioned.   So as you should have been following that set of instructions I am not sure why you expected the \SBAV\ folder to be present.

How can I improve those words ?

The reason for which I decided to try the alternative stand alone player

2.04 (2.03.508 updated to 2.04.521) installed on a different disk (d:/) was

that the original approach’s setting for video sources does not allow the

“Cable/Other/Custom” entry, only already existing Sling remotes can be

loaded by this mode.

Again you seem to be using the instructions for the standalone player when you are actually using the web player.  That doesn't work, you have to use the right set of instructions.  In the Web Player instructions the procedure is different,  You select Cable and then 'Custom' as the Model Number NOT 'Other'

At this point could be asked why Sling does not include the C2010 remote,

which works in their panel instead of the non-working remote they suggest

for the Triax?

The C2010 is irrelevant.  The built-in remotes use code from 000-1999.  Custom Remotes can be any number between 2000-2047.  I just happen to have 'adopted' 2010 as my own personal 'handle'.  There are almost 600 x C2010 BIN files on the net that I have built.    So your C2010 was simply one I built specially for your Triax, Sling cannot use it.

For the link

http://download.slingmedia.com/player/pc/SlingPlayer-2.0.4-Setup.exe" I

directly copied it into my browser (IE8), which responds that the link

cannot be attained. So for me this approach did not work.

That I finally ended up with the FLV player may have been an independent

action from the browser, but this was not a success.

OK,not sure what is wrong with your copy of IE, but on mine if I type in that link

image1.jpg

I get a box at the bottom like this

Image2.jpg

and tapping on the RUN button installs the program.  You really need to check your IE settings as that is standard procedure for any browser if you type in a link ending in EXE.

Al