4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 17, 2013 12:46 AM by jbondsr1 RSS

A Little Clarification Please....

aeneas1

will sligbox allow me to remorely watch channels of my choice even if someone is watching tv at the source? in other words, can one person watch tv at the source (where the slingbox is installed) while another person watches tv remotely, free to watch any channel he/she wants? thanks for your help!

• Re: A Little Clarification Please....
          jbondsr1 Newbie

No.

What ever is being accessed at the source will be what is displayed when accessing the slingbox.

So say if you're accessing the slingbox during lunch at work, but you're kid is home and decides to change the channel, you'll be stuck watching spongebob.

If you can swing it, I recommend hooking it up to a box that no one will use.

If you've got some sort of cable/satellite service, rent another receiver, put it off to the side not connected to any TV and connect the slingbox to that.

And if you do decide to do that, make sure it's not in range of any remote of the same model, or the channel could change on you suddenly if someone else is in the room pointing a remote at it.

aeneas1

thanks very much, exactly what i wanted to know. a couple of more things if i may: i'm assuming the slingbox unit and (in this case) the cable receiver can be tunred on/off remotely? and if i'm in the middle of watching a program remotely, it will be automatically change to whatever the source user tunes into if/when that should happen? thanks again.

jbondsr1 Newbie

You can't turn off/on the Slingbox remotely (not sure if the newer 350 and 500 models have that capability, but i doubt it)

You need to physically power it off and on. (Or you could hook it up to an IP power control device, but that's going off on a tangent)

However, you can power off/on the cable receiver through the slingbox remotely, as long as the slingbox is powered on.

And yes, if you're watching the slingbox through the software and someone changes the channel at the source, the software will automatically display whatever the source is tuned into.