13 Replies Latest reply: Jan 18, 2013 1:03 PM by Dolphinia RSS

Change Virtual Remote While Away From Home?  It Suddenly Changed w/Update and I'm Away!

Dolphinia

My Slingbox 500's virtual remote (on both my tablet and phone, both Android) suddenly changed overnight to the wrong virtual remote, seems like it was due to a system update, as when I logged onto this Web site it said my box got an update yesterday (1/15/13).  It was working perfectly up until then (halfway through a three-week trip out of the country).  I hope this doesn't happen every time the thing gets an update! 

Is there a way I can change the remote back to what it is supposed to be while I'm away from home?  It changed it to a very different remote that doesn't have a DVR button.  Thankfully, I figured out that I can access the DVR menu via the "Menu" button in a roundabout way and the other buttons all work for watching my recorded shows (the reason I need a Slingbox), so I won't have to waste money making an int'l call to yell at whatever Slingbox person messed up.  ;-)  Or have the person at home who can do it be looking at my DVR.  :-P

Thanks!

• Re: Change Virtual Remote While Away From Home?  It Suddenly Changed w/Update and I'm Away!
          alanrichey42 Master

Have you re-run the 'Configure Input' routine ?

What device is it ?

• Re: Change Virtual Remote While Away From Home?  It Suddenly Changed w/Update and I'm Away!
              Dolphinia

If you mean the little box that tells me what input and cable box I'm using inside the Android apps, yes, I've looked at that and it still lists my box on the correct input and my box works, it just has the wrong virtual remote suddenly.  I've been using it most days of my trip (THANK YOU for this wonderful invention, Slingbox!!) including the day before the update and the remote was the correct one.

It isn't a mega problem, since I found the roundabout way to access my DVR menu without having a "DVR" button on this wrong remote, but it is an annoyance.  Hopefully, it will continue to work!  Perhaps Slingbox should build in an option for you to tell the box when it is not okay to update itself (dates you will be away) so problems from updates won't arise while you're gone.  And they really need to fix the darn virtual remote always disappearing after too short a time of non-use.

The tablet is the ASUS Eee Pad Slider (Ice Cream Sandwich) and the phone is Samsung Galaxy S III (Jelly Bean or whatever it is called).

trivers1979 Newbie

Hello Dolphinia,

Thank you for using our online answers forum. Sorry to hear your are having issues with your remote control, any updates that take place should not have  any effect on your virtual remote or your setup in general. The good news is you should be able to go through and get your old remote make whether your at home or a remote location, simply go to Watch.Slingbox.com, then you can click on settings and configure input. After selecting that simply follow the steps like you normally would as if you were setting up the Slingbox for the first time.

Hope this answers your inquiry!

Feel free to reply back with any other questions or concerns you might have.

Cheers,

The Sling Moderation Team

alanrichey42 Master

We have to be a bit careful here as lots of confusion is creeping in.  First, are you talking about an update to your Slingbox firmware or an update to the Android player ?  If it is the Android player the it is quite possible they have changed the design of the remote as that is a fixed design that has the same for ALL devices and rerunning the setup is pointless.

And when I said device I meant the cable/Satellite box, not the phone/tablet.

So please give us a lot more information.  Please remember we cannot see what you are seeing so you have to be very specific.

Dolphinia

The update is to the Slingbox firmware, which is how I saw it on this site as having gotten an update when I logged in and it gave me my box info.  No, the virtual remote is not a fixed design; it is a graphic of your home remote so you know just where all your buttons are (save for the few buttons it leaves off).  The one it shows me now is completely different from my remote, as it shows a rectangular black remote and mine is a curvy oval-bottomed sort of silver thing.  My remote is for a DVR box and the one it shows me now is not.

It is a Comcast DVR cable box, don't have the model number memorized.

alanrichey42 Master

OK, I understand what is happening now.   The firmware update to the Slingbox had nothing to do with your problem, that was a coincidence.  The problem was probably caused, as you also suggested, by an update to the remote database (https://community.sling.com/community/whats-new/blog/2013/01/15/new-remotes-added).

Let me explain what happens, it won't cure your problem, but at least you will understand more what is going on.   When you ran the "Configure Input Sources" routine on the Slingbox and specified the cable/satellite box you were using Sling checked it's database to see if they had produced a realistic image of the remote.  Although they support a few thousand devices, they have only produced images for a few hundred of the most popular devices.  You were one of the lucky ones !!   The rest of us have to use the default (basic) remote, which I suspect is the one you are seeing now.  It then downloads that image (or the default image) and stores that on the device.  Then, every time you run Slingplayer it does a quick check to see if anything has changed and may update the image if appropriate.

So what appears to have happened is that the 'link' between your Comcast box and the correct image, has been broken, and so you are seeing the default remote.  Unfortunately until you can re-run the "Configure Input Sources" on your Slingbox to refresh the internals, you won't know if this is a fault with the main database or simply a slight corruption in your Slingbox.   So you will need access to either a PC/Mac or actually be at the location of the Slingbox with the TV UI to carry out this procedure.

Once you have refreshed the Slingbox, if you still get the default remote image then you need to report it to Sling so they can fix the linkage.   Without knowing the model number of the DVR I cannot test it for you.

To make matters worse, the DVR control function is available in the Slingbox and on a PC/Mac you simply right-click on the image to bring up the extra functions not shown on the default remote.  I haven't seen the Android tablet player but I know on the iPad player they 'forgot' to include that extra functionality so you are stuck with what you see.  Again, I could tweak a Custom Remote for you so that function was mapped to the White button you probably have next to the standard 4 colour buttons,  but without the Model Number I am stuck.   And you would still need a PC/Mac to run the routine.

Hope that makes sense.   As I said, it doesn't cure your problem, but hopefully explains what has happened.

Dolphinia

Thanks!  That makes sense.

Yeah, there is no DVR button on the Android app remote.  Crazy!  While I might catch the eleven o'clock news at home live every now and again (who wants to see weather reports about snow while soaking up the sun?!), I mainly use my Slingbox to watch DVRed stuff.  I don't watch much live TV while away, only sports.

Not sure when I'll get around to getting on a PC, but hopefully that will bring me my remote back.  The Sling ppl really should just add in a DVR button to their default remote, though.  (I still want my prettier one back!)

Dolphinia

The update is the only change that took place, so I don't know how else the remote could have magically changed on the same day.  ;-)  I know I saw a post saying they added new remotes, so maybe they screwed up the order of the remotes in their system or something when they did that.

The site you gave won't work on my tablet, so I'll have to wait to use a laptop of a fellow traveller to access it.

Thanks!

trivers1979 Newbie

Hello Dolphinia,

Thanks for your reply back to our answers forum. I am sorry you are still having issues with your remote control. There are a few things you can try doing. Have you tried going through and reconfiguring the input and selecting a new remote yet on your PC/Mac? Is this just happening on your tablet, or on the computer as well? If you are not sure what the make and model is of your cable box is, you can try using RNG200 or RNG200N they have the DVR function. If you keep having issues, feel free to contact our support center to troubleshoot the issue further.

Here is a link to reach out to our support center.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

The Sling Moderation Team

Cauchon Novice

Hi Dolphinia,

I'm sorry that the skin you were using disappeared all the sudden. I am the Product Manager for the remotes project and am happy to look into this for you.

Can you let me know exactly what remote you were using that had the skin disappear? We can dig deeper and see if we can resolve the issue.

Thanks,

Justin