4 Replies Latest reply: May 24, 2010 9:46 AM by ArizonaSackbut RSS

Built In Tuner problem

metsrock87

I bought the Slingbox Pro and when I change the channel at home it changes the channel on my laptop. How do I set it up so I can watch two different channels?

• Re: Built In Tuner problem
          robbr Newbie

I am assuming you mean you have a Pro HD, you need to set up the coax input so you don't bother others while changing the channels on your computer.  But, to do that you need to split your cable (CATV or OTA) input; it will not work if you have satellite, you can not split those signals.  Your other option would be to set up a second box.  I have my Pro HD set up with both my DirecTv box and also have my OTA anetenna set up as well.  If you giev us a few more details of how your box is set up I am sure we can help you further.

ArizonaSackbut Apprentice

Hi Metsrock,

What Robbr mentioned applies to both the Slingbox Pro and Pro HD models as they both have multiple inputs including a tuner.

The US version of the Pro only has an NTSC tuner, so it only works now with analog cable.

The Pro HD has an NTSC/ATSC/QAM tuner, so it works with analog cable, unencrypted digital cable (Clear QAM) and the new ATSC over-the-air digital broadcast standard for your local stations.

The issue comes down to this: If you are sharing the same video source as the home TV, you'll see the same picture over Slingbox including channel changes.  If you watch a different source, you can watch without interference.

- Az

metsrock87

I have the Pro HD as mentioned. I have the slingbox hooked up to a DVR and for sound I have it hooked up to a receiver which also controls the DVD player, VCR, and Nintendo Wii. I am not sure what is meant by split the cable, but I just want to be able to watch a different channel from whoever is watching the TV.

ArizonaSackbut Apprentice

Hi Metsrock,

I am not sure what is meant by split the cable, but I just want to be able to watch a different channel from whoever is watching the TV.

You need a second, separate video source to pull that off.  Right now you only have one- the Slingbox and TV are sharing the DVR, that's why you're forced to watch the same channel.

If you connect a different source to one of the unused inputs on your Slingbox, you can sling that without disturbing what is being watched on the DVR and TV.  You have three separate input groups on the Pro HD: High Def (Component + Audio), Standard Def (Composite/S-Video + Audio) and Antenna Tuner (NTSC/ATSC/QAM).

You can flip between the Slingbox input groups in the Player, so having both the DVR and a second source gives you access to everything.  If the DVR is free, watch it.  If someone is already watching it from the TV, flip over and watch the second source.

If you have cable TV and your service includes analog basic or unencrypted digital (Clear QAM) channels, you can use one of these...

CATV 2-Way Splitter.jpg

...to split the coax cable before the DVR.  That's what Robbr is talking about.  Then one coax goes into the DVR and that side works like it does now.  The other coax connects to the Slingbox, and counts as a second video source.  It would be exactly like hooking a second TV in a different room in your house directly to the wallplate without a cable box.

Note that the Pro HD has both input and output connections (passthrough) which does the same thing as a regular splitter.  You shouldn't need a separate splitter like the one pictured above, just go wall (coax) > Sling Tuner IN > Sling Tuner OUT > DVR.

To be clear: In order to use the tuner input, you must have cable TV service that includes analog basic and/or unencrypted digital QAM channels.  If your provider doesn't send those signals or if you have Satellite, this is not going to work.

The only other options to avoid being stuck watching the same channel as the TV is to order a second cable/sat box or connect an antenna and watch whatever local broadcast stations are floating through the air.

Hope this helps,

- Az