6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 26, 2012 7:07 AM by yscho1219 RSS

Can i use slingbox Hd Pro to stream ESPN 3d content ?

gpacheco

I wonder if Hd pro could stream HD 3D content, because work i live part in USA and part in PERU, and i want to see (dont miss) the FIFA world cup ESPN 3D transmitions that would be transmited by DIRECTV, is posible to stream the signal to my PC  and connect it to mi Samsung 3d TV? I really apprreciate your responses

• Re: Can i use slingbox Hd Pro to stream ESPN 3d content ?
          eferz Expert

Probably not.

Most of the HD3D equipment is using Alternate-Frame  Sequencing (AFS).  This requires an active shutter glasses that is  sychronized with the TV that alternates visibity for each eye at 50  frames per eye per second.  This is fast enough that your brain doesn't  see a gap, but each eye is given a unique perspective which gives the illusion of 3D from a 2D display.  However, Slingbox use compression and variable bit  rates in order to dynamically encode, encrypt, and rebroadcast live  television streams.  The resolution of the stream is also reduced when  you use it over the internet.  So, unless the program your watching is  using passive 3D technology with polarized glasses, I doubt that even  the Pro HD will be able to keep up.

gpacheco

Thank you for your response, i wonder if is possible to Stream the signal of the new ESPN 3D  channel to my PC  (I have a DirecTV suscription ) with SLINGBOX HD PRO, also my PC have  a conecction to a 3D tv as a second monitor.  

BrandonC Novice

gpacheco, The box will stream what you send it but there are all kinds of determining issues on how can use it.

If I were you I would post your question on 3D TV here http://www.explore3dtv.com/ the gang there knows a ton about 3D TV and the Sling box.

OvCollyer Apprentice

Has anyone tried this or got it to work?

I have a Sky+HD connection from the UK, including the 3D package and i just tried viewing it via the sling web player plugin and the 3D format is 'side-by-side' (ie i get a stream with a left and right image on screen at once) so I would think that concerns about the effect of variable compression/bitrates on an active shutter system shouldn't come into it, as at any given time there would be a left image with the corresponding right image?