4 Replies Latest reply: Feb 13, 2013 12:01 AM by tcaradonna RSS

CES 2013: Support for Netgear NeoTV coming soon!

tcaradonna Novice

Good news!  Another "connected device" gets slingplayer.

Announced at CES2013, the NeoTV line of media players will be next to get a slingplayer.  Our community still seems to searching for an equivalent replacement for the legendary SlingCatcher, so we will soon have one more to try!

Just a side note, 2 glaring absences from this party still exist: AppleTV and Roku support.

• Re: CES 2013: Support for Netgear NeoTV coming soon!
          tcaradonna Novice

It looks like it will be in 2 flavors:

1.  Soon to be released NeoTV Prime which runs GoogleTV, will likely have the Logitech Slingplayer (as also used by Sony)

2.  Existing line of NeoTVs will get a dedicated app (like the WDTV and Boxbox have) which I'm guessing is flash based?

OvCollyer Apprentice

The Slingplayer for connected devices apps all seem to be flash-based, presumably sharing some source code, whereas Apple TV and (I think) Roku don't support flash so I'm guessing they'd have to write a custom versions for these platforms and maybe they don't think it is worth it, or something.

I agree with you though, these are best streamng platforms/devices and it would be great if Sling supported them.

My one caveat is that they need to fix the existing flash based player first! In my experience it's sub standard on a remote connection which has an element of unpredictable bandwidth (like mine!), when compared to the web player which is far more robust in the face of bandwidth fluctuations. Plus there is often a hideous delay when issuing commands which makes it extremely frustrating to use.

I fully expect these Neo versions to suffer these same limitations.

tcaradonna Novice

Agreed with your assessments how NeoTV will probably perform relative to the other players.

For AppleTV which runs on basically the same iOS platform as the iPhone/iPad, it would take minimal coding to make a product.  Clearly there is some non-technical barrier at work here.  My guess is that when an app store becomes available (and this seems a very likely possibility), SlingMedia will want to charge for the app.  So they don't want to give away too much right now, and lose that future revenue stream (which is a reasonable business decision).  Granted if there were an app for appletv, I would be very inclined to pay for it.  I've been fine holding out so far on the iphone/ipad apps.  I'm not happy with the situation, but I probably place a greater share of the blame on Apple for this one, and I don't expect Slingbox to stepup in the meantime.

tcaradonna Novice

For those who weren't aware, the Netgear NeoTV Prime (GoogleTV) has been released.  I picked up one today at the store and started playing with it.  I have a review that I'm writing on amazon where I've given it 2 stars initially.  In a nutshell, it is very similar to Sony GoogleTV, but the remote is not quite as good.  Not surprising.

Although media players from Netgear have been out for awhile, this is really their 1st bonafide attempt at a serious product.  It's a good time for them to be listening to our suggestions.