4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 16, 2013 10:10 AM by doitt2 RSS

Ipad buffers and bitrate maxs out at 2032k on hd

robusjp

I habe a sling box 500 and when watching on ipad auto and sq work fine.  But hd buffers every couple of seconds and the bitrate maxs and stays at 2032kbps.  On my pc i can get up to 3000kbps so i know my network is okay.  Is there an issue with the slingplayer app?  Also there is only three settings for quality sq auto and hd, why is there no hq?  On my android tablet i have hq.  any help i can get would be great. 

• Re: Ipad buffers and bitrate maxs out at 2032k on hd
          sgt1577 Newbie

You're having the same issue everyone else here is!  There is an effort being made to fix it but so far nothing 

ACC4725336

Having same problem - frustrated after spending the money!~

doitt2 Newbie

On an iPad 3, I found HD completely unusable due to highly excessive buffering--like every second. There is something inefficient about the algorithm used, because obviously the bandwidth demanded does not exceed the throughput available on most wifi networks. 

I found an acceptable fix by upgrading from a DLink 802.11n router to an Apple Extreme router--it gave me a good pretext to dump the DLink which needed periodic rebooting.  This change dramatically improved the performance for the iPad at any quality, so it seems evident that the app is doing something that requires a router capable of handling the communication, until they fix it, if and when. 

The caveat here is that on the iPad, HQ will eventually get audio out of sync with video, so it is unusable.  But I find Auto quality perfectly acceptable for viewing on that screen size.  On Auto, bandwidth consumption tends to stay at at its max of 4032 kbps, it is stable, audio stays in sync, and buffering problems are extremely rare.  This is with a 500 using the built in wifi.