40 Replies Latest reply: Jul 27, 2014 9:52 PM by jayaro RSS

Logitech Revue Connection Timed Out (code: 10003)

Yanksm21

I just bought a Slingbox 350 and am trying to get it to work remotely with my Google TV (Logitech Revue).  Remote viewing works great on my laptop and iPhone, but on the Logitech Revue, it fails at "Starting stream..." with a Connection Timed Out error.  Anyone have any ideas as to why remote viewing would work on everything except the Google TV?  Everything has been updated to the latest firmware.

• Re: Logitech Revue Connection Timed Out (code: 10003)
          jdmlb

I have had the same problem with my two Google TVs (Sony Blu Ray and Visio Co-Star) and the problems started about a week ago.   Before then, the Sony worked flawlessly for a full year and the Co-Star flawlessly for three months.

The irony is that Slingplayer app still works fine on my desktop, Ipad and Android phone.  So it is not an internet, router, Slingbox or other hardware issue.

It appears from the boards that some Boxee and WD owners are having the same problem

I learned from research that the Google TV Slingplayer app is not really an app, but rather, it is a link to a Spotlight Gallery website that is enhanced to support Slingplayer. So I believe that the problem involves the inability of our devices to connect to the enhanced website.

I fixed the problem with the Sony by doing a factory reset and going to the Spotlight Gallery website.  I clicked on the Slingplayer link in Spotlight Gallery and it connected. Now it works fine.

The Gallery Spotlight link did not work on my Co-Star and I am still stying to solve the problem. I will try a factory reset this weekend.

I wasted 20 minutes chatting with Slingbox support.  The rep was beyond clueless and basically told me I had to "play with it."

I emailed Sony and haven't received a substantive reply.

I emailed Vizio and they told me to call.  I'm not sure I am up to wasting more time with a rep who is not trained on the nuances of Slingplayer or GTV.

If anyone from the manufacturers of GTV units reads this, I hope that you take this issue seriously and work with Google or Slingbox to find a fix.  There seems to be many of your customers who have this problem, and if they are like me, they bought the units only because of Slingplayer.

If anyone else has solved this problem, I would be grateful for your thoughts.

websly

I have the exact same periodic problem when connecting to Slingbox with my Vizio Co-Star.  Wasted an hour with slingbox phone support where a supervisor told me he "has never heard of a Vizio Google TV" and that "We don't support google TV since it's not their app".  I completed a factory reset of my Co-Star while on the phone with Sling support but the problem still existed.  I can conclude (see below) that the issue is not with the Google TV box (Co-Star) per the procedure below.

TEMP SOLUTION: I have been able to temporarily resolve the issue by having someone reboot the slingbox (unplug and plug it in again).  This works fine until the issue arises again in days to weeks when the slingbox needs to be rebooted again to work.

I am always able to connect with Slingplayer for my android phone and "watch slingbox" on my PC web browser.  The issue is only only occurs periodically on my Google TV (Vizio Co-Star) and rebooting the slingbox solves the problem temporarily.

If anyone finds a long term solution please message me.  Thanks!

Tech Specs-

Home: Slingbox 350

Wired direct to router

ISP: Verizon Fios

Download 15mbs/sec

Upload: 15mbs/sec (great upload!)

Remote viewing device:  Slingplayer on Google TV (Vizio Co-Star)

Wired direct to router.

ISP: AT&T Uverse

Download 12mbs/sec

Upload: 1.5mbs/sec

Average Slinbox streaming speed: 5-6mbs/sec

jdmlb

Thank you for your helpful response.  I have concluded from this discussion and my calls to Slingbox, Sony, GTV and Vizio support that (1) Slingbox has devoted no resources to training its people to supporting Google TV; (2) Slingbox doesn't care if its software works on Google TV; (3) the box manufacturers do not care if their boxes work with Slingplayer; (4) rebooting the box is the best temporary fix for this problem; and (5) we should all buy lamp outlet timers to reboot our Slingboxes every night until someone cares enough to devote resources to fixing this problem. My best, JDMLB

Losan

I have exactly the same issue as you describe with my SB350. This probably firmware bug affects only my WDTV and Logitech Revue and also gives me error code 10003 - as it occurs PC webplayer, android tablet and phone apps still work fine. The only way I have found to temporary solve this issue is to power cycle the Slingbox 350. This is not an ideal solution as someone has to be at Slingbox location. I hope this will be solved soon with next firmware upgrade!

OvCollyer Apprentice

This isn't a real solution, however my experience with Slingboxes over the years is that the best thing to do is to stick your Slingbox on a digital power supply timer and have it power on and off overnight at some unsociable hour.

As a result this basically eliminates any problems associated with needing to power cycle the Slingbox. I've used a Pro-HD for several years and not had any problems despite only visiting the location every few months (and nobody else being there) and similarly with my 350 I've had for several months.

I also have my router reboot too just so that everything starts 'clean' every day, but if you do that you may need two timers with the Slingbox set to power on a few minutes after the router, as I discovered that the 350 may not initialise completely correctly if the router hasn't finished initialising itself.

LIke I say, you shouldn't have to do this but I strongly recommend doing it as it can solve many problems and the timers are very cheap.

If this appeals, then PM me or I will post up a link to the timers I use, which have proven to be very reliable.

andrermf Newbie

Hi Ovcoyller

thanks. I'll do that today and let you know.

Thanks

Cheers

andrermf Newbie

I bought Neotv 200 because I was in the US and cost me 52$.

I think it's more stable than WD. It seems more smooth than WD but I have to do more testing to compare. But indeed I like the stalibility.

The 3s delay, changing channel etc it's the same old story.

Thanks

Cheers

OvCollyer Apprentice

Thanks. Any difference in bandwidth usage?

After further testing it does seem as if the WD uses slightly less bandwidth than the Google TV boxes....wondering how the Neo compares...

andrermf Newbie

Hi think IT uses less Than wd but Not 100% sure.Ill do more tests And let you know

Sent from my iPhone

El 30/01/2013, a las 18:28, OvCollyer <answers@slingmedia.com> escribió:

Slingbox Answers Forum

reply from OvCollyer in General Questions - View the full discussion

Thanks. Any difference in bandwidth usage?

After further testing it does seem as if the WD uses slightly less bandwidth than the Google TV boxes....wondering how the Neo compares...

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on Slingbox Answers Forum

Start a new discussion in General Questions at Slingbox Answers Forum

andrermf Newbie

Matt

everyone with connected devices has this 10003 problem. With WD, NEOTV, SONY GTV etc.

You need to fix this

andrermf Newbie

Ovcoyller

have reboot as you said but didn't solved the problem. I think that must be good to prevent the problem but not solve it. To get the stream back again I have to reset the slingbox and install it again. Very paintful since I need to ask my parents at home to do it.

Losan

I just hope that new SB 350/500 firmware solving this issue will be released soon. All devices (PC, tablet, phone) except SlingPlayer for Connected Devices are able to connect to TCP stream without any problem. For me power cycling Slingbox temporary solves the problem (I don't have to reset Slingbox settings).

@andrermf does your Slingbox have a static DHCP lease and manual port forward set? (as described in this SlingMedia KB http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-2000505.html)

tangoklw Apprentice

Hello everyone,

We are looking into this issue and will contact you if we need more information. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Regards,

Sling Media Support Team

andrermf Newbie

Thank you Karen. Very Good news! Go sling!

Sent from my iPhone

El 01/02/2013, a las 00:00, Karen White <answers@slingmedia.com> escribió:

Slingbox Answers Forum

reply from Karen White in General Questions - View the full discussion

Hello everyone,

We are looking into this issue and will contact you if we need more information. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Regards,

Sling Media Support Team

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on Slingbox Answers Forum

andrermf Newbie

Hello Karen

any news about this? THis issue is pretty paintful for those who want to watch it over WDTV, NeoTV etc.

Cheers

OvCollyer Apprentice

@andrermf

I'm close to giving up on these connected devices myself - I've had a lot of success recently with the iOS/Airplay solution actually, as far as stream quality and stability is concerned. I didn't realise how Airplay works but it appears that rather than the iOS device receive the stream and transmit it to the Apple TV that instead the iOS device authorises the ATV to make a direct connection to the Slingbox.

The big downside is that in true Sling style there is a bug - any remote command works but you have to stop and restart Airplay to get the stream back. If they fix that then I reckon having an iPod touch dedicated to Slingplayer in conjunction with an Apple TV would be a pretty good solution all things considered. Might be a big if though...

Certainly as far as stream robustness is concerned it's pretty solid though, if it ever needs to buffer it doesn't get stuck for ages like all the connected device players I've tried do, quickly resuming. This means I can run it on a HQ setting without worrying about any glitch freezing it for ages, whereas with the connected devices I have taken to dropping the quality as it was proving a big PIA.

I'm also researching the main rival company's products as they offer a pretty solid hardware to hardware placeshifting solution albeit not at HD resolution.

Kind of bored of Sling dragging their heels over all of this to be honest.

Losan

I've some new input on this case that I think may help Sling Media to solve "Connection Timed Out (code: 10003)" issue.

I've stopped using SlingPlayer on my WD TV Live and since than I have no issues with error code 10003 on my Logitech Revue (it's more than a week now without need to reboot SB350). So for me it looks like SlingPlayer on WD causes somehow this error and later the inability to reconnect with any device that uses SlingPlayer for connected devices (not only WD).

andrermf Newbie

Thats weird . I Mean Not getting the error.

Ovcoyller

The problem with the airplay is that the resolution max is 720p no?

Sent from my iPhone

El 11/02/2013, a las 11:02, Losan <answers@slingmedia.com> escribió:

Slingbox Answers Forum

reply from Losan in General Questions - View the full discussion

I've some new input on this case that I think may help Sling Media to solver the issue. I've stopped using SlingPlayer on WD TV Live and since than I have no issues with code: 10003 on my Logitech Revue (it's more than a week now without a need to reboot SB350).

tangoklw Apprentice

Hi,

The engineers were having difficulty reproducing the issue. I will check and see if they've made any progress.

Karen

andrermf Newbie

Hi Karen

Yes.please let us know.

Enviado desde mi iPad

El 11/02/2013, a las 19:25, Karen White <answers@slingmedia.com> escribió:

Slingbox Answers Forum

Hi,

The engineers were having difficulty reproducing the issue. I will check and see if they've made any progress.

Karen

andrermf Newbie

ANy news about this. I'm adopting Ovcoyller strategy and forget about connected devices. Will watch through AIrplay. Less quality but at least it works

tangoklw Apprentice

Hi,

This error suggests that you do not have Internet Viewing set up correctly.  If you're using a Slingbox 350 or 500, try the suggestions in this article:

http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-2000505.html

If you have a Slingbox PRO-HD or SOLO, try the suggestions in the article above, except for setting up a DHCP reservation (#4).  Instead, just use the Slingbox Network Setup Assistant to help you configure your router for port forwarding.  Please refer to this link for the Slingbox Network Setup Assistant:

The Slingbox Network Setup Assistant

Let me know if this help,

Karen

Losan

Hi Karen,

Thanks for your input, however this issue is not related to wrong router set up. I wrote previously that issue stopped while I stopped using SlingPlayer on WD TV, unfortunately yesterday the same bug occurred while I was using only PC webplayer and Revue for last week.

I remember exactly how and when it happened yesterday. I was watching on my Revue for longer period of time, suddenly the picture started to be palyed like in slow motion but audio was still fine. I gave it a few minutes as I though that maybe problem is related to temporary network congestion, but it was not - stats where showing same streaming speed as always (around 5mbits). So I've decided to disconnect and connect again to solve this slow motion issue . I've disconnected but than I was not able to reconnect with SlingPlayer for connected devices (WD or Revue) however PC, Android tablet and phone still were working fine.

I was previously using Slingbox ProHD and this model is not affected with this issue/bug. Problem started with usage of new Slingbox 350. It's configured accordingly to your KB and ability to get direct TCP connection confirms it. When this error/bug occurs I'm still able to connect with direct TCP stream from my browser. Android tablet and phone works fine too. Only Slingbox on connected devices reports this error code 10003. In such case when I start Slingbox Player on WD TV or Revue, it starts normally. I press "Connect" button, player show "Connecting to.." and than message quickly switch to "Starting streaming..." and it stays that way for quite some time and than error "Connection Timed Out (code: 100003)" shows up. When in player settings I enable the option "Always Test Bandwidth", player shows "Connecting to..." than "Testing Slingbox connection speed..." speed test is completed correctly (I see progress bar), than "Starting streaming..." and again after some time it reports "Connection Timed Out (code: 100003)".

The only way to get rid of this bug on connected devices is to power cycle the Slingbox.

I hope this detailed description will allow your engineers to find and finally solve this really annoying problem.

Regards,

Patryk.

andrermf Newbie

Hi Karen

my router does automatically Por forwarding and does it well. Regarding the DHCP reservation I just can't do it. It appears it's blocked by my Internet provider so this doesn't work. Sincerely I don't think this is the problem since I have no problem watching in the laptop, ipad and iphone.

Although since I can't add a Static IP to a MAC address I've changed the DHCP lease time in minutes from 60 minutes to 522.000 minutes (around one year). Let's see if with this change of lease time the WDTV and Neo TV will work fine. Theorically and I think this is write this mean that If my router gives the IP 192.168.1.2 to Slingbox it will not change this IP address in the next year if the router is always connected to the Slingbox.

Losan and Ovcoyller,

Is this correct? I'm not an expert in Networking.

SAid this, having to do all this manual configurations is not the best way to sling to sell this products. Should be plug and play. Hope to see some improvements in the nex firmware of the SB500 and 350.

Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 14:22:22 -0800

From: answers@slingmedia.com

To: andrermf@hotmail.com

Subject: Re: - Logitech Revue Connection Timed Out (code: 10003)

Slingbox Answers Forum

Hi, This error suggests that you do not have Internet Viewing set up correctly.  If you're using a Slingbox 350 or 500, try the suggestions in this article: http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-2000505.html If you have a Slingbox PRO-HD or SOLO, try the suggestions in the article above, except for setting up a DHCP reservation (#4).  Instead, just use the Slingbox Network Setup Assistant to help you configure your router for port forwarding.  Please refer to this link for the Slingbox Network Setup Assistant: The Slingbox Network Setup Assistant  Let me know if this help,Karen

OvCollyer Apprentice

My 350 works fine with either DHCP reservation and manual port forwarding, or, letting it all be automatic with regular DHCP and UPnP.

I think if you set the lease time then this only applies while the router is powered on. I would expect that if you rebooted your router, or had a power cut then could give a new IP address.

To be honest though, if you are seeing tcpWAN on your connected device players then it's all set up fine and the problem must be somewhere else.

In my opinion, Sling tend to pull out the 'it's your port forwarding' card when they haven't a clue how to solve a problem, perhaps to buy themselves some time.

It would have been a simple check for them to establish whether port forwarding is set up correctly as when setup properly your slingbox registers with their servers and they can see.

andrermf Newbie

Hi ovcoyller

I think The same about lease . When router reboots would need to configure again.

Thanks for the input.

Lets see what sling pulls in the next firmware.

I see always tcpwan and like I said, this is not user friendly at all so they will have TO solve it.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone

El 15/02/2013, a las 12:08, OvCollyer <answers@slingmedia.com> escribió:

Slingbox Answers Forum

reply from OvCollyer in General Questions - View the full discussion

My 350 works fine with either DHCP reservation and manual port forwarding, or, letting it all be automatic with regular DHCP and UPnP.

I think if you set the lease time then this only applies while the router is powered on. I would expect that if you rebooted your router, or had a power cut then could give a new IP address.

To be honest though, if you are seeing tcpWAN on your connected device players then it's all set up fine and the problem must be somewhere else.

In my opinion, Sling tend to pull out the 'it's your port forwarding' card when they haven't a clue how to solve a problem, perhaps to buy themselves some time.

It would have been a simple check for them to establish whether port forwarding is set up correctly as when setup properly your slingbox registers with their servers and they can see.

Losan

I'm just writning to add info about this problem with code: 10003 on Slingbox Connected Devices. When this problem occurs also PC flash based players stops working (i.e. Facebook Slingbox, http://slingplayer.slingbox.com/embedded/slingplayer.php). The same time, from same computer I'm able to connect directly with my Slingbox 350 using TCPwan protocol.

What's intresting I captured IP packets with Wireshark while trying to connect to flashed based Slingbox player on PC (it works exactly the same as on Slingbox Connected devices). Although connection is established without any problem directly with my Slingbox 350 using TCP protocol, flash based Sling player is waiting for streaming data from Slingbox 350 that simply never comes. This only confirms what we suggested before, it's a bug that occurs in new Slingboxes. There is nothing we can do with our routers as port forward is working correctly. The only real solution now is to reboot Slingbox but it's not always possible. Could you just at least give us an option (within web based player) that would allow us remotely reboot Slingbox?

Could you please give us an update on this issue? When the new firmware will be released solving this annoying problem?

Thank you.

PS. For those who want more technical data;-) When I start http://slingplayer.slingbox.com/embedded/slingplayer.php I can see that web browser establish connection with my Slingbox on TCP port that's configured (in my case it is: 5202). Shortly after that I see that Adobe FlashPlayer is starting communicating with my Slingbox also on the same port with TCP protocol. Both connections are established and data is flowing both ways (from Slingbox and also from player to Slingbox). So I'll repeat myself - it's not router/port forward related problem.

andrermf Newbie

With reboot i cant make it work. I have to reset and install the slingbox again.

By the way I have change the dhcp lease time in my router to an entire year and the slingbox worked well for 6 days. Yesterday gave the same problem and I'm sure either the sb or router weren't disconnected during that period. Or this rule doesn't work either or the maximum lease time is less than 6 day.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone

El 21/02/2013, a las 10:36, Losan <answers@slingmedia.com> escribió:

Slingbox Answers Forum

reply from Losan in General Questions - View the full discussion

I'm just writning to add info about this problem with code: 10003 on Slingbox Connected Devices. When this problem occurs also PC flash based players stops working (i.e. Facebook Slingbox, http://slingplayer.slingbox.com/embedded/slingplayer.php). The same time, from same computer I'm able to connect directly with my Slingbox 350 using TCPwan protocol.

What's intresting I captured IP packets with Wireshark while trying to connect to flashed based Slingbox player on PC (it works exactly the same as on Slingbox Connected devices). Although connection is established without any problem directly with my Slingbox 350 using TCP protocol player, flash Sling player is waiting for streaming data from Slingbox 350 that simply never comes. This only confirms what we suggested before, it's a bug that occurs in new Slingboxes. There is nothing we can do with our routers as port forward is working correctly. The only real solution now is to reboot Slingbox but it's not always a possibility. Could you just at least give us an option (within web based player) that would allow us remotely reboot Slingbox?

Could you please give us an update on this issue? When the new firmware will be released solving this annoying problem?

Thank you.

tangoklw Apprentice

Hi,

We have reproduced the problem, and should have a fix for Slingbox 500 users in the next month or so.  For Slingbox 350 users, the fix will be a little later.  In the meantime, rebooting the Slingbox is a good workaround.  If this doesn't work, make sure you have UPnP or NAT-PMP enabled on your router.

Thanks,

Karen

andrermf Newbie

Thank you . These are great news

Sent from my iPhone

El 21/02/2013, a las 18:47, Karen White <answers@slingmedia.com> escribió:

Slingbox Answers Forum

Hi,

We have reproduced the problem, and should have a fix for Slingbox 500 users in the next month or so.  For Slingbox 350 users, the fix will be a little later.  In the meantime, rebooting the Slingbox is a good workaround.  If this doesn't work, make sure you have UPnP or NAT-PMP enabled on your router.

Thanks,

Karen

lahtnesornod

Wow! I am amazed at the number of Code 10003 entries. I just bought a Sony Internet Player with Google TV (NSZ-GS7) and it worked or a few days with my Slingbox 350. Then, wham, I get the Code 10003 error and there is nothing I can do to make it work again. I reached Slingbox support and they told me this error affects all connected devices, which seems to square with what others are saying. They also told me to enable "univeral plug and play" on my router. Given that my router is 1700 miles from where I am using my new Sony device, this is kind of hard to do. By the way, PC-based access to my Slingbox works fine.

Bottom line: This is a serious issue for Slingbox. They should not be saying these "connected devices" work when, in fact, they do not. Who knows if enabling UPNP on my router will solve the problem. I just spent $170 on a device that might be worthless.

As an aside, I had previously purchased a WDTV device, but returned it because of: a) poor picture quality over my WIFI; and b) lags when issuing commands. The Sony device is better on both counts, but the lags are still considerably longer than on a PC. Note to Slingbox staff: once you get the connected devices displaying pictures, fix the lag issue for issuing commands on connected devices.

Don

crsxyz

How can I find out when this fix is available for the 350?  This bug has been a big problem for me over the last couple months, and I've spent hours with several support people who apparently had no idea that this is a known problem with a pending fix.

andrermf Newbie

Hi Karen any news aboutthis release of firmware for the SB 500?

Thanks

rhenson

Can you restart remotely?  If so, how?

crsxyz

I'm told by Slingbox Customer Support that there is no way to restart remotely, which is surprising for a product whose entire reason for being is remote access.  It makes me wonder if the product development and test engineers really use it outside of their labs.

Until/unless this functionality is added, people who spend time away from home and depend on their slingbox can set up a lamp timer to power-cycle their slingbox periodically.  Home automation gear would allow remote power-cycling on demand, but it costs more than a lamp timer.