9 Replies Latest reply: Jan 13, 2013 4:52 PM by tcaradonna RSS

Using iPhone and iPad Slingplayer App - Video Quality Differences?

esbe002

I have a slingbox 350 and I'm currently using the iPhone Slingplayer app to push to my Apple TV, utilizing the "Airplay" feature.

When I push the video to my TV, the picture quality is watchable, but pretty pixellated.

Does anyone know if picture quality will improve if I get the iPad app? Or will picture will virtually the same between the iPhone and iPad version?

Thanks,

• Re: Using iPhone and iPad Slingplayer App - Video Quality Differences?
          tcaradonna Novice

I've wondered the same.

iPhone4/4s is 960x640 and iPhone5 is 1136x640.  Therefore neither display can handle HD(720).  iPad (not including the retinas) on the other hand is 1024x768 and therefore can do 720 lines. I would think there is no reason to write the iphone app to handle more lines than the screen can handle (and compromise performance), so why should the output thru airplay be expected to do any better?  So I'm not surprised by the pixelated performance.  It seems only the iPad might have a chance at good display thru airplay, but I'd appreciate hearing from someone who's doing this too.

esbe002

I would also assume that the iPad app would output better video qualtity based on the points you made. At the same time, I don't want to fork out $15 for the iPad app to learn later that there is little to no improvement.

I really hate how we have to pay for the apps seperately per device. I already paid for the Android app awhile back for $30 and then I was forced to buy the iPhone app as I'm using an iPhone now. It just seems wrong to have to fork out another $15 to get the iPad app.

telekaster Newbie

I have both Apps and I've honeslty only tried mirroring the iPad to my Apple TV2. I can compare it to the iPhone App when I have a chance. When I tried the iPad, it looked very good - almost like full HD (pretty darn close).

In the meantime (before I can actually compare both Apps), I would assume that the iPad version will yield better resolution than the iPhone version when using airplay to Apple TV. This is based on the fact that the bandwidth requirements for the iPhone and iPad apps are in fact different. See the link below.

http://www.slingbox.com/go/spm

tcaradonna Novice

Great observation on bandwidth requirements.  Please let us know how the comparison turns out.  I'm looking forward to hearing the results!

telekaster Newbie

I did a test this morning and I remembered why I don't use the SlingPlayer/Airplay combo - it crashes for me. It's fine if I just watch one thing, but if I change the channel I can get freezing issues. Luckily I never really want to mirror to Apple TV.

But as far as quality goes the iPad version is just like I remembered (near HD quality) with my 12Mbps/1.5Mbps connection. The iPhone version playing from my 4S yields a good picture, although it is noticeably jaggy around the edges of objects. This is consistent with the different bandwidth requirements for the iPad and iPhone versions.

Hope that helps. I would've posted screenshots but I don't know how to grab an image from my TV. Is thst possible?

tcaradonna Novice

Thanks telekaster!  It's interesting that only channel changes would cause problems.  Anyone else notificing this? It seems that particular activity should have very little to do with the connection between ipad/iphone and Apple TV, unless perhaps the airplay buffering stream gets reset, which I guess could do it.  Are there any other functions that cause the freezing (like play/pause on a dvr, etc).  Can I ask which AppleTV and iPad version you have?

Just a couple of other general questions:  does the picture and sound still output on the originating device (I'm assuming it must for controlling), and if so, how noticible is the lag between the 2?

Thank you

tcaradonna Novice

These reports are disappointing.  I'm not jumping out of my seat right now and running out to get this.  Is there anyone with good experience with this?