2 Replies Latest reply: Apr 9, 2013 10:37 PM by alanrichey42 RSS

Pre-Purchase Q's

tcp6udp7

Hello, I have some pre-purchase Q’s I was hoping some good Samaritan can help me with, most of the questions are either not answer in the general FAQ or are partially answered elsewhere, or maybe I just haven’t searched hard enough, but here goes;

-          Does the Slingbox connection panel need to be fully populated in or for it to function, to elaborate further does the SD or the HD inputs require connections in the opposite direction (SD or HD outputs) in order for the device to function. I simply want to ‘sling’ a single a/v source and not present the source to a local TV – I hope this makes sense.

-          Can multiple WLAN users access a given sling stream concurrently, say I have multiple users in one household all wanting to access the single sling stream using an internal address, on IOS, WindowsMobile, OSX, etc etc. I’ve read somewhere that a sling stream is limited to one user, regardless of their source access, e.g. outside WAN style access or internal WLAN access, is this true?

-          I’ve read some horrible reviews about audio ‘echo’ issues, is this something to be worried about, apparently it’s unfixed as of Nov-11.

Many Thanks, for what it’s worth I’m based in the UK and am inclined to purchase either the solo or pro-HD, my uplink is rather pathetic hence, no chance of HD streaming over a WAN.

Cheers,

• Re: Pre-Purchase Q's
          craig.sling Novice

Hello tcp6udp7,

Thank you for contacting us here at the answer forum. I would love to answer the questions that you were wondering about:

1) Does the Slingbox connection panel need to be fully populated in or for it to function, to elaborate further does the SD or the HD inputs require connections in the opposite direction (SD or HD outputs) in order for the device to function. I simply want to ‘sling’ a single a/v source and not present the source to a local TV – I hope this makes sense.

The answer to this question is no. The Slingbox can be a stand alone unit. No TV is needed to get the Slingbox up and going. The Slingbox can be a stand alone and doesn't need a actual TV to work correctly. All the unit needs is a connection to a cable box and an Internet source.

2)  Can multiple WLAN users access a given sling stream concurrently, say I have multiple users in one household all wanting to access the single sling stream using an internal address, on IOS, WindowsMobile, OSX, etc etc. I’ve read somewhere that a sling stream is limited to one user, regardless of their source access, e.g. outside WAN style access or internal WLAN access, is this true?

This is correct. The Slingbox can only be connected to by one source. No matter if your trying to connect to the Slingbox over the computer or IOS device the Slingbox can only have one device connected to it and can only have one person watching it and controlling it.

3) I’ve read some horrible reviews about audio ‘echo’ issues, is this something to be worried about, apparently it’s unfixed as of Nov-11.

I can personally tell you that with my units I have never had this issue. I'm not sure what the cases were that had this issue but I know if it is a real issue it has been fix. This issue does not persist at this time and you should not run into the issue at all.

Sorry for the wait.

Thank you

Sling Moderation Team

• Re: Pre-Purchase Q's
              alanrichey42 Master
              This is correct. The Slingbox can only be connected to by one source. No matter if your trying to connect to the Slingbox over the computer or IOS device the Slingbox can only have one device connected to it and can only have one person watching it and controlling it.

This is slighlty misleading.  You can have multiple devices connected to a Slingbox (Cable box, DVD...)  but only one device can be viewed at a time and by only one person.