0 Replies Latest reply: Jan 9, 2013 10:02 AM by telekaster RSS

Slingplayer for WDTV network requirements

telekaster Newbie

What are the network requirements for all video qualities for the WDTV Slingplayer? What are all the factors that go into Slingplayer video quality? I understand that even if the Slingbox and Slingplayer are on the same home network that the signal is still sent out into the cloud (to Sling's servers?). Can somebody clarify any of this?

I have read that HD requires a 2Mbps upload speed and Basic requires something like 600Kbps.

Does anybody know about the "good", and "better" video qualities?

I get a fairly consistent 1.45Mbps upload speed, but many times the Slingplayer will resort to "basic" quality. On certain ocasions it will do HD quality, which I don't quite understand since that supposedly requires 2Mbps.

This is all for a 24" TV in the kitchen, so I don't even need "HD" quality. "Basic" is a little blocky. "Good" video quality is acceptable and I'd just like to be able to get that consistently with my existing Internet speeds (12Mbps/1.5Mbps advertised).

When I first got the WDTV Live I would always get HD quality. Maybe it's because winter is upon us (but I'm in San Diego). Any thoughts? Thanks.