11 Replies Latest reply: Mar 17, 2014 3:27 PM by mariuszikk RSS

Any way to hook up Pro-HD to HDMI?

sclosson

Get the expected error saying I need HDMI connection when trying to watch HBO. Since PRO-HD does not have HDMI connection, is there any adapter I can use component to HDMI that would work?

Thanks

• Re: Any way to hook up Pro-HD to HDMI?
          daugustus5150 Newbie

Hello Stephen,

Thanks for using the Answers Forum! The Pro-HD is not equipped with equipment suitable for use with HDMI cables. We only recommend using the component cables for High Definition viewing. The component should be able to provide up to 1080i though so that is still HD!

Hope this helps,

The Slingbox Moderation Team

addyrevet

What if there is no component port on the top-set box? In my country, pretty much all top-set boxes that are available only have an HDMI port, and no component. Is there any 'device' with a component 'in' and an HDMI 'out' which I can use for my Slingbox?

craig.sling Novice

Hello addyrevet,

Thank you for the fast response. I would love to be some help or you today. Slingmedia does not have an HDMI to component cable. You can pick them up at your local electronics store or online. This cables may work but are not garmented to work. If the cable box you have only has HDMI cables the only Slingbox that works with HDMI is the Slingbox 500 and that is only sold in North America and Japan.

Hope this helps,

Thank you,

Sling Moderation Team

danielpk14

The moderators comments are disingenuos if he works for slingbox and has any knowledge of hdmi he would know that an hdmi to component cable will not work this is due to hdcp encryption. generally you need to get a device that will strip the hdcp or use the analog hole method. this is all widely available info on the web. Arguably the best device for this is a 3d fury as you will likely get the best results and options for output resolution, however there are many chinese devices that will do the same or similar thing.

craig.sling Novice

Thank you Danielpk14,

Thank you for the pointing out HDCP. Not all cable boxes have this issues. It is a turning into a huge issue here in the USA. Being that he stated he was outside of the US it is something that he could try. Like is said in my last post it may or may not work. Being overseas and having only HDMI, you are very limited on what options you have. Since there is not component hook ups you would have to use a converter of some sort and if HDCP is an issue you would have to have a HDCP compliant cable.  I am not sure what cables you would be able to get around HDCP with , but it would be something to look into and they should say on the if HDCP is a problem or not before you order them.

Hope this helps,

Thank you

Sling Moderation Team

addyrevet

Cheers Danielpk14! I'll have a look at that, should work.

Now, if anybody from SLING (moderators work at the tech/support department I suppose?) could have a look at this thread as well, that'd be great

https://community.sling.com/message/88190#88190

cheers!

tcaradonna Novice

The 3DHDFury is also called the HDFury 4 (same product).  But you can do what you want with the HDFury3 for less money.  As was pointed out, there are some chinese producers of these converters but the quality of the conversion is questioned on alot of forums.  (The converter is popular for people with high performance projection systems that don't have HDMI inputs.)  If someone knows a reliable chinese version, please let us know.

Once you get the component signal you will find the quality is superb.

danielpk14

Yes you most likely can for a lot less money, maybe even earlier fury units.

I have one thing to add to my original statement after reading it again, HDMI to component cables will never work because hdmi is digital and component is analogue so regardless of HDCP you will always need a converter of the type suggested.

YMMV on the chinese ones but dont pay more than 25 quid on ebay as many of them are the same unit rebadged and sold for more.

shadjilogiou

Hey there, I was just wondering whether this issue has been resolved, I am also trying to connect a Pro HD to a cable box with only an hdmi output.

any news as to what adapter works best?

thank you very much in advance for your input!

cheers,

s