9 Replies Latest reply: Jan 18, 2013 10:38 AM by MaryKessler RSS

Slingbox SOLO losing connection

HarrisonL

I have a slingbox solo that has suddenly stopped working properly. In trying to fix it I have reset it, removed it from my directory, and tried to set it up again.  However, during setup it always loses internet connection and i am forced to restart before i can complete setup.  In one instance, i unplugged the composite connections and made it through setup by setting it up without video feed. However, once i completed it this way and reconnected the composite cables it would disconnect immediately when trying to view online (with the error message w202). In order to try to fix this issue, I reset my slingbox again and now, even without composite cables connected i cannot complete the setup process. My slingbox is connected directly to the router, however i have tried connecting it to another router, have tried setup on multiple computers, have reset the slingbox multiple times, and dont know what else to do, someone help please!

• Re: Slingbox SOLO losing connection
          keith.sling Apprentice

Hello HarrisonL,

Thanks for participating in our online forum community here! I'm sorry to hear that you are losing connection with your SOLO. Have you checked the bandwidth of your home network? You can run a test right at speedtest.net. I would suggest that you try another ethernet cable to rule that out as well.

Here are a couple of articles from our support site with some information and troubleshooting steps:

Hope this helps!

Kind Regards,

The Sling Moderation Team

HarrisonL

I have tried using different ethernet cords and it did not change the result.  My home network speed is 9.88 Mbps, so that seems fine.

djgman

I have the same exact issue nearly.  I have reset the box to default and tried to set it up to no avail.  It updates the software, "appears" to accept the name and password, moves on to the input configuration and looses connectivity.  It seems to reboot and I get a message in the browser that the password is incorrect. 

When i check my Slingbox profile, I see the box in the directory.  I have tried a different swtiches and routers and the same. 

Yesterday I managed to get it configured and even to breifly show video but it will drop.  I am almost suspecting something is wrong with the firmware it's downloading from the web. 

Any thoughts?  Helllllllppp

djgman

well - i tried to set it up with the video disconnected (only audio remaining).  I got past downloading the IR control and testing. after that, when I hit next, i get the same old problem "slingbox password is incorrect".

I tried for the 3rd time and got all the way through the setup and got it to stream audio online - internal and over the internet.

In advance, i set the output of my DirecTV reciever to 480p to keep things simple.  As soon as I connected the component calbes, I lost connection to it and the LAN and status lights blink occasionally.

I hit the reset button and it came back online with no video (i expected this since it was set for composit).  The little green streak is gone however from the stream.

Next, with the web viewer (Chrome) I went to "configure" to try an switch on the component input.  I get "There was an error connecting to your slingbox, please try again".

Now it wont stay on the network.

So - I unplugged the video, switched it back to composit - with the composit video connected.  Same issue.  I disconnected the video (leaving the audio) and completed the setup.  Once I had the audio streaming I connected the composit again.  It rebooted itself, showed a still picture, rebooted again.  I reconnected and its working with composite.  Flaky.

Conclusion:  Issue is with video detection.  Understanding I see others having similar issues, my guess is its a firmware thing - either a bug or corrupt

image.

SlingBox...Save us please!!!!

HarrisonL

djgman - as far as the password thing, i had the same thing happen and it worked better when i typed "admin" as the password, although would                disconnect because of an error instead of an incorrect password.

-Im a little confused with your second post. Did you get it to work in the end with composite? or is it still giving you the problem of losing network connection?

I too feel like the problem may stem from the firmware, and wish there was a way to test that..

djgman

@ Harrison...

I wish i could tell you I got it to work... no deal.  video only worked for a while.  After that, only with audio.  Got it completely setup and streaming audio.  As soon as I connect any type of video signal it starts having trouble - dropping off the network.  It seems it simply cannot sync well with the signals.

I wonder - it could be as simple as the device getting firmware updates that do not support NTSC.  Who knows.  Only Slingbox can tell us.

Sorry for the confusion :-) it was getting really late...

• Re: Slingbox SOLO losing connection - EUREKA!
                                  djgman

I got it figgured out with a little help from google and another forum!!!

The issue is definitely video sync.  The suprise here is that it is related to how the DirecTV DVR works and not so much the Slingbox.  Without getting too deep, once you have an active HDMI display connected to the DirecTV DVR, the sync signal is no longer presented via the component ouptuts.  You can either not use HDMI to your TV (this means no 1080p, yuck!) or simply turn off the HDMI display.  I just tried it and it works flawlessly.

If you expect the TV will be turned off whenver you are traveling about and using the SlingBox, you are in good shape.  Otherwise, stick with lower resolution composit input only.  You still have to set it up with the video disconnected but it should work consistantly.

Now - it would be nice if you could program the TV functions on the virtual remote.  Then you could connect via composit and remotely turn the TV off before swithcing to component.

but hey - you cant have everything.  The alternative is to get a newer model with an HDMI interface. 

For now, this will work for me.

Best of luck!

HarrisonL

Hey I'm glad you got yours to work! My slingbox isn't connected to the main directv box so doesn't have HDMI but maybe I'll test with adjusting that anyway.. But currently I'm stuck back where I can't even finish setup without any composite cables connected and don't know what else to try.

MaryKessler Newbie

Hello HarrisonL,

Thank you for participating in our community forums!  I am sorry to hear that you are unable to stay connected to your Slingbox SOLO. It sounds like it may be a network issue going on with your Slingbox. I just have a few questions for you to be able to better assist you with the issue you are having:

• The computer that you are using to setup your Slingbox on is it connected to the same router as your Slingbox?
                                          • Are you getting a solid network light on your Slingbox?
                                          • Do you have any Firewalls or Antiviruses running on your computer if so, did you shut them down for the setup?
                                          • Have you tried a hard reset on your Slingbox by holding in the reset button for a full 30 seconds then go through the setup again?

If you have done all of this and still are not getting results with staying connected to your Slingbox, then please give our technical support team a call so they can further assist you and get your Slingbox up and running for you.  The link for our contact information is below:

I hope you find this helpful!

Have a great day,

The Sling Moderation Team