12 Replies Latest reply: Jan 3, 2013 11:08 AM by alanrichey42 RSS

turn on the TV using sling remote

michmike

hi all,

i am experiencing an HDCP issue after an updated set top box from ATT uverse (stupid me for wanting a bigger hard drive). i read all the forum posts and i am well versed in the HDCP problems. However, i don't have time to order either the active/powered HDMI switch from monoprice or the iHDMI cables that would let me bypass this issue by keeping an active HDCP handshake with the uverse box.

as a workaround for a quick trip i am making this week, i would like to remotely turn on/off my TV using the sling web remote. is that possible?

here's my setup.

-slingbox AV (one of the first ones that came out)

-ATT uverse connected to TV using HDMI

-ATT userve connected to slingbox using composite (RCA) cables

• Re: turn on the TV using sling remote
          michmike

i forgot to mention. my plan is to use one of the IR thingis on the uverse STB, and the other IR in front of the television receiver. that way the TV can be turned on. now if i can only find out how to send the on/off command to the TV from the sling remote

alanrichey42 Master

I'm not familiar with the AV model but does it have multiple inputs (composite/S-Video) ?   I so, just install the TV on the unused input.  Then you can you can switch it on/off.

michmike

the slingbox AV model has only 2 possible inputs

-S-video

-composite (RCA)

i have it connected using RCA. i may be missing something, so please can you explain further. if i install the the TV on the unused input, how will that turn it on/off remotely when i am not at the house? Such a setup, if i understand it correctly will lower the resolution of the video link to my TV (down from HDMI to s-video) and eliminate the copy-protection issues of HDCP. i was trying to avoid having to change the resolution the TV gets since my kids/wife might be watching TV during the morning hours and i would watch TV remotely late at night.

one of the problems of HDCP is that it requires an active HDMI connection. remotely turning on the TV would fix this problem without requiring another set of cables like an iHDMI or an active HDMI switch.

alanrichey42 Master

OK, I may have misuderstood you.   I assumed you had a seperate box (cable/satellite) connected to the Yellow Composite video and you can watch it remotely.

Are you saying that you have the Slingbox plugged into an output from the TV ?    If so, I don't see why you cannot turn it on/off.

Later: I have just re-read your first post and you do have a seperate device.   Now, I am NOT talking any wiring here, I am simply saying if you configure the S-Video for your TV, then place one of the IR Blasters in front of it, then when you select that input the IR Blaster will transmit the TV on/off code,.

michmike

hi Alan,

thanks for the quick replies. The connectors behind my slingbox are all [IN] connectors. meaning they take video input.

so basically you are saying i set this up this way

uverse STB --> [connect via HDMI] --> Panasonic TV

Panasonic TV --> [connect via s-video] --> slingbox AV

the 2 IR blasters configured as follows: (1) one in front of the uverse STB to change channels, (2) and one in front of the TV to turn it on/off

this setup should work. when i was looking at the "configure video sources" on slingbox setup assistant, i could not find the proper remote code to turn on/off my panasonic TV. any ideas on that?

alanrichey42 Master

No, I said there were no wiring changes.   I can see no point in wiring your TV to the Slingbox.  Why do you want to do that ?

Most Panasonic TVs use the same codes, try a few of them,   If you don't have any luck tell me the model number.

michmike

hi Alan,

my model number is th-37px50u  and yes it is true that most panasonic's have the same codes for on/off.

when i looked online, i had found this link in the JP1 forums. http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload.php?action=file&file_id=6214

I downloaded it as an .rmdu file, imported it to RemoteMaster and exported it as a binary file (T1250_PL.bin). then i uploaded it to slingbox directory.

when i tried to enter the custom code T1250, slingbox gives me an error saying "remote code is not valid. please try a different code"

did i miss something?

alanrichey42 Master

I don't think the Slingbox supports the 'T' prefix, I would build it as either C, S or V (doesn't make any difference).

Also, are you sure your AV uses the PL system ?  It might use the RV one.  Try it with that,

michmike

I had tried downloading the VIP 1200 codes for motorola and only the PL ones worked, so that's how i know that PL works and RV does not.

When i try renaming to C1250_PL.bin, i am getting a different error "Custom remote code not found. Please try a different code."

When i look at the file in RemoteMaster, not everything is mapped under Buttons, however everything is listed out under FUNCTIONS. What command/button is slingbox trying to send and it can't find it? (assuming the error message i got was accurate)

will update this thread once i tinker to see if i can add the custom remote code for "Power" that this remote is asking for. any help is appreciated

[Update]

I was searching online for this error and i noticed this thread from you Alan. could this be my issue here as well? and if yes, how do i compile for slingbox from RMDU file?

http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=97226&sid=25b15e116092b11bd240cce7314bf3fb

alanrichey42 Master
                                              I had tried downloading the VIP 1200 codes for motorola and only the PL ones worked, so that's how i know that PL works and RV does not.

Fair enough.

When i try renaming to C1250_PL.bin, i am getting a different error "Custom remote code not found. Please try a different code."

You can't just rename a BIN file.  When it is compiled in RemoteMaster the code is embedded within the BIN file so if you rename the file it breaks it.

When i look at the file in RemoteMaster, not everything is mapped under Buttons, however everything is listed out under FUNCTIONS. What command/button is slingbox trying to send and it can't find it? (assuming the error message i got was accurate) will update this thread once i tinker to see if i can add the custom remote code for "Power" that this remote is asking for. any help is appreciated

Not sure what your problem is but here is the RMDU file sorted.