4 Replies Latest reply: Jan 3, 2013 4:54 AM by alanrichey42 RSS

Setting up a Slingbox 500, having multiple issues

Jboblett

I'll try and keep this brief, I'm starting to get frustrated with this product and the company and I don't normally have issues like this.

Here is my setup before ANY Slingboxes were installed:

- Sony HDTV

- Cisco (Or Scientific America, as both names are on the box) RNG150 recieving a digital signal in the suburbs of Minneapolis plugged into HDMI 1 on TV

- Roku 2 XS Plugged into HDMI 2 on TV

- XBox 360 plugged into HDMI 3 on TV

- Anything that needs internet is wired into a Motorola Xtreme cable modem/router (Docsis 3.0)

Added a Slingbox 350, plugged in the component cables to the cable box, then set up Slingplayer on my computer and got sound, but no video, but I could control the TV with the on screen remote (change channels and whatnot) - Imagine that...

I thought I had an issue with not being able to output video due to not having HDMI on the 350 so I went and exchanged it for a 500...

So now I have the 500 plugged in the way it should be in sequence with the TV and cable box. No video on slingplayer, just audio, so I hooked up the component cables.  Same problem. So I come to the forums and here is what I've tried.

- Unlinked the HDMI and component inputs during the 500 setup (no fix)

- Tried setting up component alone (no fix)

- HDMI input alone (no fix)

- Plugged in the yellow RCA cable (FIX!)

So now I have video on my slingplayer, but I'm using the LOWEST form of input to do it, why the F*** did I have to buy a 500 with HDMI inputs just to have to use a connection that's almost older than I am (29)?

It's a Christmas present, fine, I'll let it go.

But when I switched to the Slingbox 500, the on screen Slingplayer remote (that worked for my 350) now doesn't function. And the only tech help provided is: install another AV source.  Well if you search RNG150 there is one by Cisco, Comcast, Motorola, Scientific Atlanta and one or two others, I've tried them all.

I'm going to refrain from making comments about this product at the time because it seems they're trying to roll out tech while also dealing with things like SOC (which is probably one of my issues with the video inputs) and HDCP (another issue I'm probably up against). But I would really like to at least use the remote.

Thanks for any input.

• Re: Setting up a Slingbox 500, having multiple issues
          alanrichey42 Master

I think the fundamental problem is that your Cisco box has HDCP implemented and actually your problem has nothing to do with the Slingbox.  The HDCP means the device will only output to one HD output at a time.  So by having the Cisco box plugged in to the TV using the HDMI lead, you have disabled the component output.  Hence no signal on the component outpuit. 

Now, using the HDMI passthrough ought to work, HDMI from the Cisco box to the Slingbox then on to the TV.  But if your TV provider has decided to protect the content then the Slingbox will not be allowed to use it although you should still see a picture on the TV you will get a blank screen on Slingplayer.

What should work is if you don't use HDMI at all.  Use just the component output from the Cisco box to the Slingbox IN, and then component from the Slingbox OUT to the TV.  BY not using the HDMI you are bypassing the HDCP limitations.

Any use ?

nmarino

1.  Agree with Alan on SOC.  If it is SOC, disconnecting HDMI all together should allow the video to start coming on Component.

2.  On the remote not working - have you tried connecting the external IR emitter and putting it close to the set top box?  I bet the internal emitters were working before with the 350, but somehow no longer have line of sight to the set top box (either because they are arranged different between the 350 and 500, or because you have the 500 situated physically different from how you had things set up originall).

Jboblett

What should work is if you don't use HDMI at all.  Use just the component output from the Cisco box to the Slingbox IN, and then component from the Slingbox OUT to the TV.  BY not using the HDMI you are bypassing the HDCP limitations.

Any use ?

But if I'm not using the HDMI at all then will I not get 1080p content on my TV? I am under the impression that component can only get your as high as 720p, no?

2.  On the remote not working - have you tried connecting the external IR emitter and putting it close to the set top box?  I bet the internal emitters were working before with the 350, but somehow no longer have line of sight to the set top box (either because they are arranged different between the 350 and 500, or because you have the 500 situated physically different from how you had things set up originall).

Possibly, I'll have to try this later when I get home from work, no time this early in the morning.

Thanks both for the replies, potentially very helpful.

alanrichey42 Master
                    But if I'm not using the HDMI at all then will I not get 1080p content on my TV? I am under the impression that component can only get your as high as 720p, no?

I hadn't heard that before, but after doing a lot of Googling it seems that it is not a simple answer.  While you can't have 1080p you can nearly always get 1080i.   And it is dependent on the receiver.  Some boxes will happily send 1080p (XBox 360 apparently) but some manufactures/TV Providers will downshift the component signals to 1080i or 720p.   But to be honest, if you are watching the Slingbox remotely, or on a laptop, it all becomes academic anyway as even 720p will not be displayed in it's full glory.