7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 15, 2013 3:30 AM by alanrichey42 RSS

Local Network Player

bcools

How do I connect to my slingbox player without going through the internet?  My internet goes down every once in a while and I watch tv on my ipad frequently even in my home.  The internet will go out but TV stays working.  How can I access my slingbox through my local network?  Seems counterproductive if Im in my home having to send the stream clear to you then back to me on top of it being a waste of bandwidth.

• Re: Local Network Player
          keith.sling Apprentice

Hello bcools,

Thanks for using our forums here! I understand that you're interested in viewing your Slingbox locally without using any unnecessary bandwidth. I would recommend using the standalone player (or pop-up player) as it will only need internet to make the initial connection and then will continue to stream locally regardless of internet connection or speed. This player can be found in the top right corner of the SlingPlayer on Watch on Slingbox.com.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

The Sling Moderation Team

bcools

So there is not stand alone player as the pop-up player requires a browser to run and still establishes an initial connection to the internet.  A stand alone player would be something that could stand alone and function without the need of any other application.  It would perhaps be an application unto itself and need nothing else to run.  If that were the case then I could put an icon on my dock(mac) or place an icon on my desktop on my pc that I could just double click(or single click on my dock) and run.  Should the internet not be available, it would search the local network for the slingbox and start playing the stream.  You use to have an application that required installation on your first few versions of slingbox but I can see how the web based version leads to ease of use, however the old application seemed to be more reliable.  I am guessing this software is no longger supported or updated.  I have decided to use one cable box in my home and a slingbox streaming that cable box.  On my TVs I have Mac Minis hooked up as this seems to be the perfect media box for me.  It would be cool if these Mac Minis just had a slingbox application that did not require the internet in this situation.

...or can you put an icon for this stand alone player on dock or desktop somehow?  Is there a way to run this player without opening a browser window?

alanrichey42 Master

The standalone player is still available at http://download.slingmedia.com/player/pc/SlingPlayer-2.0.4-Setup.exe or http://download.slingmedia.com/player/mac/SlingPlayer-1.0.10.dmg and a lot of us still use it as it is vastly superior to the web player.  Unfortunately Sling decided not to allow it's use with the new Slingbox 350/500s so if you have one of those you are stuck with the browser.

MSUICEMAN

So if I buy a 350, connect to my home network via wifi, have a tablet in the garage connected to the same router, I will absolutely need to have an internet connection (if my internet provider fails me i'd be hosed)? What if it isn't that great of an internet connection, but my home network speeds are very good, should it stream through the local network rather than going through the 'net?

Trying to figure out a solution that will stream HD locally or at least satisfactorily so I can watch HD on a monitor in my detached garage. Does the android app support 720p/1080i? Wondering if I could mirror an android tablet to a TV/monitor.

alanrichey42 Master

You only need the Internet connection to log onto the Sling servers for the initial setup and subsequently if you want remote viewing.  After that it is not required for local viewing, it just operates over your WiFi LAN, so your poor connection will be irrelevant.

MSUICEMAN

Even when I'm stuck using the browser player, since the standalone doesn't seem to be supported for the 350/500? I just want to make sure that I can do what I hope to do before purchasing.

Its great that people here know answers to things like this because finding relevant info on questions like this seems hard to come by other places.

Thanks again,

Steve

alanrichey42 Master
                                  Even when I'm stuck using the browser player, since the standalone doesn't seem to be supported for the 350/500? I just want to make sure that I can do what I hope to do before purchasing.

Afraid so.   Sling have been trying to stop people using the standalone player (unsuccesssuly in my case ) for some time.  Their latest shot is to not upgrade it to support the 350/500.