7 Replies Latest reply: Jan 4, 2013 3:13 AM by TVip RSS

How to use my Slingbox at home on my private network, with no Internet connection?

TVip

Hello,

I've just bought a Slingbox pro HD for using it at home.

My satellite receiver is in my sitting room, and I want to watch the TV in a room upstairs.

The problem is that I have a personal network, with a router. It works well, except that the router is not connected to the Internet all day long. The Internet connection is off during the night. But the home network is On and OK

I don't understand why sling player refuse to be launched if it does not reach slingbox server through Internet! My home network is valid, so I think I've the right to acces my slingbox from my computer from my home network...

What can I do for launching the player at home with no outing Internet access? My Slingbox HD pro and the computer are on the same internal domestic personal network.

Worse, I think it is not justified to deprive me of television at home when my Internet access is down because of provider trouble, if my home network works well.

Thanks for your help.

• Re: How to use my Slingbox at home on my private network, with no Internet connection?
          alanrichey42 Master

Have you tried using the standalone Slingplayer  (http://download.slingmedia.com/player/pc/SlingPlayer-2.0.4-Setup.exe or http://download.slingmedia.com/player/mac/SlingPlayer-1.0.10.dmg) ?   If the Internet is down that should still show your local Slingbox.

• Re: How to use my Slingbox at home on my private network, with no Internet connection?
              TVip

Hello,

Thank you for your help. Effectively, I'm able to launch the standalone player with no Internet connection. I can see 2 errors messages at starting, about acces failure to slingbox server, but after 2 clics on OK, the player run. Thanks.

Unfortunately, however, it's impossible to setting the parameters of my slingbox without Internet connection. The stand alone player refuse to launch the setup window, and I can't set up or change my source (component, composite) or tweak my tnt channels. I can't set up the image and audio parameters or the remote...

Without Internet connection, impossible to remove or add a new hardware like a satellite receiver or a cable receiver or a dvd player.

Is that to say that if the Slingbox server is down, our slingboxes are locked?

If Slingbox company stop their activity, if they go bankrupt, we have to throw our slingboxes to trash? Scary!

alanrichey42 Master
                  Unfortunately, however, it's impossible to setting the parameters of my slingbox without Internet connection. The stand alone player refuse to launch the setup window, and I can't set up or change my source (component, composite) or tweak my tnt channels. I can't set up the image and audio parameters or the remote...

Without Internet connection, impossible to remove or add a new hardware like a satellite receiver or a cable receiver or a dvd player.

OK, have a try with the V1.5 of Slingplayer.  This was used before Sling decided to 'lock' us into their servers. http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-5000206.html

Is that to say that if the Slingbox server is down, our slingboxes are locked?

Yes.  At the time we all warned them it was a mistake but they assured us their servers would never go down    It's happened 3 times of course, once we we lost them for almost a week.   That is why many of us 'old-timers' still have V1.5 installed on our PCs.

TVip

Hello,

Thanks for the link of the standalone version 1.5. It's a very usefull version for me.

I notice some advantages and disadvantages between v1.5 and v2.0 :

+
                      .Stand alone with no Internet : play, setting up, install, add material
                      .Favorites
                      .Skinable

-
                      .No HD (640 max, I have a 720/1080 material)
                      .No sound (Spdif)
                      .My personnal remote skin layer is not recognize.

Lose my favorite remote layer is not a real problem.

The max of 640 for the Windows is very poor. I have a HD slingbox pro linked to HD player through conponent. But in case of slingbox server trouble, it will be very usefull even in SD.

The real problem is that the audio of my receiver is linked through numeric coaxial cable to the slingbox, and I have no sound. The v1.5 does not allow to set something else than rca component audio. I will try to find a way to plug my receiver with analogic cable for audio.

Thanks, the v1.5 is very usefull, even if i lose HD, it's ok for me to watch TV during Internet is off.

PS : is there a way to have favorites on 2.0 like on 1.5?

alanrichey42 Master
                          I notice some advantages and disadvantages between v1.5 and v2.0 :

Yes, it is swings and roundabouts.

PS : is there a way to have favorites on 2.0 like on 1.5?

Not at the bottom, that functionality was withdrawn.  It's a standing joke on here that every time Sling Media 'upgrade' the software it has less functionality than the previous version    They seem to operate back to front.

OvCollyer Apprentice

I think they're trying to simplify things to appeal to some sort of 'mass market', though in some cases they've actually made things less usable (newwatch vs old watch, slingbox connected devices vs Slingcatcher).

This is fundamentally flawed IMO, because I don't think Slingboxes will ever be a truly mass market device, especially as more and more web streaming services appear.

All these 'upgrades' do is frustrate those customers they've had for years.

Streamlining/simplifying is fine in itself, but it could be done in such a way that the more advanced functionality is retained but just hidden away.

Just my twopence.

TVip

You are both right. It's sad. Slingbox is not a mass product and they have to considered that their custommers are often demanding of advanced capabilities.

Otherwise, indeed, I could use the streaming that my operator propose. If I have bought a slingbox, it's because my needs are to take hand on the physical material, so, simplify the end user software is an error...

Favorites, StandAlone, etc.. It's necessary. Moreover, Slingbox crypts the stream. So, we can't use external software! So, their software must be advanced and complete. An important example : they have to propose PVR function to record on the PC. Monsoon propose this capability.

Maybe it will be more efficient to look at the Monsoon Vulkano or Titanium...