3 Replies Latest reply: May 24, 2010 1:27 AM by ArizonaSackbut RSS

can view dvr recordings but not live tv

Thitsa Newbie

when watching on computer via slingbox i can view my dvr  recordings but not live tv.  At home my cable remote won't change tv channels. the box shows the   channels changing but the tv doesn't change. have to change them on tv   manually.  I must have some connection wrong but it all  looks correct.

• Re: can view dvr recordings but not live tv
          ArizonaSackbut Apprentice

HI Thitsa,

Try restarting your cable box.  Don't turn it off with the remote or the button on the box (that usually puts it into standby only), actually disconnect it from electricity.  After one minute, reconnect power.  When it finishes starting up-- this could take a few minutes-- try watching the cable box with your TV, not over Slingbox.

If you can watch normally, then try watching over Slingbox.  Don't use the physical remote or the buttons on the box to change channels, only the on-screen remote in SlingPlayer.

See if that helps, post back and say how it goes. 

- Az

Thitsa Newbie

Thanks for the reply but I figured it out.

Somehow I missed the step that  scans  the channels. As for the remote, I adjusted the connections using common sense and the physical remote now changes the physicial tv channels.  I can't remember what I did but it was definitely different than the directions said.

I'm very impressed with myself (55 yo female) I even connected everything to wirelss internet & also downloaded mobile app on my verizon blackberry 8530 which supposedly isn't supported & it works.  Gotta love the internet, you can find all types of suggestions & answers.

Thanks again.....

ArizonaSackbut Apprentice

Hi Thitsa,

That's great news !   Glad to hear you got it working.

I've had similar issues with my physical remotes sometimes being blocked by the placement of the IR Blaster cable.  The funny one was my bedroom setup- I could use the remote from my chair or the bed, but not when standing in front of it.  I pulled the wire out half an inch and poof !  It worked.  Same box downstairs needed a half inch to the right, pulling it straight out did nothing.  Placement can be touchy.

Happy trails,

- Az