13 Replies Latest reply: Mar 7, 2017 12:52 PM by pallaras RSS

Slingbox (500) audio is higher pitched than actual signal

srphayre

Just got a Slingbox 500 for Xmas and have tried it out on Slingbox.com, on an Android tablet (using the app) and an Android phone (using the app).  What I've noticed is that the audio is several notches higher in pitch than the original signal.  I specifically hear it when there there is music playing (and I can still hear the original signal) and all of the people talking sound like chipmunks.  It's not too bad (but noticeable) with adults talking but children speaking sound ridiculous.

Anyone else had this?  Are there any settings that I can adjust?

Thanks,

Steve

• Re: Slingbox (500) audio is higher pitched than actual signal
          keith.sling Apprentice

Hello srphayre,

Thanks for participating in our online forum community here! I'm sorry that you are having this issue with the audio through your Slingbox 500. What connections are you using from the cable box to the Slingbox? First thing that I would check is the audio cables.

Here is a link to an article regarding troubleshooting audio issues:

Hope this helps!

Kind Regards,

The Sling Moderation Team

ma6907

I am having the same issue.  I have been using Slingbox since 2004 and this is my 3rd slingbox.  I now have the slingbox 500 and I know all the cables are tight and there is no setup issue.  I have been watching my slingbox 500 since October and it has worked fine till today, now I am getting the "Chipmunk sound" issue.  Please advise? (ps, the audio is more than a little bit distorted.  All sounds come through like Alvin and the Chipmunks are talking.)  The streaming bitrate is 1500 Kb/second and the video is fine.  I tried changing the quality to lowest settings and auto.  I tried restarting the slingplayer several times.  Not working.  I am getting this issue from my PC on a wired network and from my Android phone on the Sprint Network, bot issues are new today.  Worked fine yesterday and worked fine while inside my home network connected to the slingbox yesterday.

SoftSyrup

Would just like to report that I had this problem as well today. A hard reset did fix the issue. My content was still very much watchable, but it would be quite disappointing to find yourself away from the house for a while and be stuck with this higher pitched audio. Unlike the OP, I use component cables only, connected to a Scientific Atlanta box. It would be great if a remote reset was available, and if the tech team could look a bit more into this and ways to correct it.

srphayre

We had a power outage a couple of weeks ago and the problem went away.  The problem reappeared today and pulling the power and plugging it back in fixed the issue again.  I agree that this is not a permanent fix but clearly points to a software/hardware issue and not cabling or something else.

Does anyone know if there is a formal bug loggged for this?  Is there a process to raise a formal bug?

happyface9

I have the same problem.  Just installed a Slingbox 500 over HDMI to my media center PC.  (I am only using HDMI as my media center PC doesn't have component and anyway, no HDCP issue).  But my audio over HDMI is higher pitch than it should be when connecting from any remote PC.

I tried reseting my device but that didn't work for me.  I still have the exact same issue.

ma6907

Did you set the audio settings for HDMI only?

Marka1620

I have this issue also when viewing SB on my iphone and on my WDTV. It seems to come and go tho... Ive done the reset thing and didnt really help.

ma6907

I would try the followingtry connecting to the slingbox while inside your home and connected to the same internet signal as the slingbox.  If the sound is present while inside your home and the ipod connnected to the same wifi signal (not the Verizon/Sprint/ATT signal), then I would try to reset the Slingbox to factory condition by doing a complete factory reset.  If it is fine while on the home Wifi, then your problem is with your Cellphone company.  It is easy to reset the slingbox

With your Slingbox powered on:

Press and hold the reset button down until the Network light on the front panel flashes twice quickly. Be patient - it can take up to 60 seconds for that quick 'double flash'.The lights on the front of the Slingbox will cycle through a few different patterns as it restores itself. the Slingbox 500 can take 10 minutes or more to finish this process.Once reset, the Power light stays solid.If your Slingbox is connected to your router, the Network light will also remain solidly lit when it receives an IP address.

Sincerely,

J Scott Major, M.D.

(615) 883-2331

C:\Documents and Settings\smajor\My Documents\qrcode major

Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 12:39:55 -0800

To: ma6907@hotmail.com

Subject: Re: - Slingbox (500) audio is higher pitched than actual signal

Slingbox Answers Forum

Slingbox (500) audio is higher pitched than actual signal

reply from Marka1620 in Audio/Video Troubleshooting - View the full discussion

I have this issue also when viewing SB on my iphone and on my WDTV. It seems to come and go tho...

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on Slingbox Answers Forum

Start a new discussion in Audio/Video Troubleshooting at Slingbox Answers Forum