9 Replies Latest reply: Mar 21, 2013 4:15 AM by alanrichey42 RSS

custom remote skin on newwatch ?

schindt Newbie

Would like to upload the skin of my custom Dreambox remote.

When selecting Slings Dreambox remote during setup the Dreambox.spr file can be replaced with a custom one, but with that I could not upload the custom remote .bin file.

When selecting the custom remote .bin file I always getting the standard Sling remote skin which apparently cannot be replaced.

Are there any tweaks that forces newwatch to use a custom remote skin? Any plans from Sling to get this re-implemented?

• Re: custom remote skin on newwatch ?
          alanrichey42 Master

I assume you are talking about the new Slingboxes 350/500 ?    If so I don't think there is anything you can do.  As you have figured out, once you install a Custom BIN file it automatically links to the default skin, regardless of the code.    This is a bug and has been reported to Sling.   Hopefully it will get fixed.

Have you tried renaming your Custom Skin to Default.spr and replacing that one ?

schindt Newbie

The replaced Default.spr file will be replaced again with the Sling standard file as soon newwatch gets connected to my SB350. And setting write protection to this file didn't help either, as newwatch cannot re-create its Default.spr there is no remote available at all.

Is there a link between the .bin file and the file for the skin, or is this all handled by the Slingbox and/or newwatch?

alanrichey42 Master
                  Is there a link between the .bin file and the file for the skin, or is this all handled by the Slingbox and/or newwatch?

Yes.   If you just install my normal Custom Remote that uses the code 2010 then the default skin will be displayed.  But if you use different codes then the associated skin is linked.  For example, S1123 will link to a Sky Remote, V1111 will link to a TIVO skin.   But that works only if you are setting up using the standalone Slingplayer or through setup.slingbox.com  (Used for non-USA owners and older Slingboxes).   Sling seem to have forgotten to include that 'linking' functionality in newwatch.slingbox com so for a Slingbox 350/500, regardless of the code you use, the default skin is used.

Al

schindt Newbie

Hello Sling moderation team,

could you let us know when custom remote skins would be available again for the new Slingboxes?

schindt Newbie

Hello Sling moderation team,

just a reminder that it's still not possible to add custom remote skins, any progress on this?

alanrichey42 Master

Your reminder prompted me to look again, and it seems they have slipped this functionality in without telling us (no mention at https://community.sling.com/index.jspa).   I do wish they were more open with users but their Company policy seems to be based on paranoia and secrecy.

It looks as though newwatch has been updated to version: 4.0.0.19c and I just managed to get a realiitic skin to display.   What you do is run the normal setup, but in the page where we used to select the device type and then 'Custom' as manufacturer you now actually select the Manufacturer.    Now, in the next page there is an additional Model selection at the bottom of the dropdown list called 'Custom'.   Select that and then specify the BIN file as before.   I tried this with my customised S1123_PL.BIN file and the Sly remote popped up. 

Good luck

schindt Newbie

Thanks, it's working now!  Would be nice if the remote control .spr file could be added together with a custom .bin file, independently from any manufacturer.

Where can I find the version# of the webplayer?

alanrichey42 Master
                              Thanks, it's working now!  Would be nice if the remote control .spr file could be added together with a custom .bin file, independently from any manufacturer.

As I understand it, there isn't a 100% link between the 4-digit code and the image .spr file, so you need to specify the manufacturer as well.

Where can I find the version# of the webplayer?

Bottom of the screen

Image1.jpg