7 Replies Latest reply: Dec 30, 2012 1:40 PM by Danby RSS

Slingbox 350 and Shaw 630 receiver-can't get onscreen remote to work

Danby

Hi all, I'm very new to Slingbox, having recently acquired a SB350 for use with a Shaw (Motorola 630 PVR) Satellite receiver.  In the setup, I get as far as being able to see and hear the channel to which the 630 is set, but when I try to configure the remote, the SB does not find the remote.  Shaw advises that I should choose for the "equipment", Shaw and 0000 as ther  standard remote code.  I firstly verified that 0000 is indeed the correct code for my receiver, but selecting it doesn't work, i.e. the SB doesn't find it. 

I've tried using the IR blaster right beside the receiver, dangling in front of the IR sensor, tried it without the IR blaster, tried many different Shaw/Motorola settings, nothing works.  I just spent an hour and a half with a SB tekkie who took control of my computer, tried many different things and then we both gave up.  I programmed a Harmony remote and it is able to control my Shaw receiver with IR, so obviously the 630 is receiving IR but evidently not from the SB 350.  My conclusion is that the SB 350 is not producing IR.  Any other ideas before I give it back?

-Dan

• Re: Slingbox 350 and Shaw 630 receiver-can't get onscreen remote to work
          alanrichey42 Master

Much more likely that you aren't using the right codes.  Try this Custom Remote:  Motorola DSR-550   The instructions for installing it are at http://placeshiftingenthusiasts.com/how-to-add-custom-remote-bin-file-on-slingbox-500-and-350/

Danby

Thanks very much, Alan.  I'll try your suggestion before returning the unit, as I'm beginning to realize from problems others have had that it's likely not the IR in the Slingbox that's causing my problem. . .will let you and the others know how I make out.

Dan

Danby

Al, here's a bit more grist for the mill.  I'm still not able to see the SB remote on my Mac, but have just performed an experiment that should give a couple more data points.

I've set the SB 350 up in front of a Bell (Motorola) receiver VIP 1200.  This receiver is specifically identified in the SB list of receivers.  The two units, SB and receiver are directly in front of one another, and for good measure I've plugged in the IR blaster as well.  Both the receiver and the SB 350 are hard wired to ethernet ports of my Bell Internet modem/router.  I'm able to log on fine, and although the receiver is not connected to TV source (I've recently switched from Bell to Shaw Satellite), I assume that I should be able to see the remote for the Bell VP1200 on my Mac. 

Result is the same as when I tried the set up with my Shaw (Motorola) 630 satellite PVR receiver.  The ring spins, but nothing happens.

This could lead credence to the possibility that the IR function of the SB is not working.  Against that is the following.  Last night, my son who has a previous model SB, logged his SB onto my SB account.  I had previously installed SlingPlayer on an iPad, and am able to remotely control his receiver.  However, when I try to log on to his SB from my computer, I get an error message that prevents me from accessing his SB.  I therefore don't know whether there is some kind of computer incompatibility at work here, or whether the fault is with the SB 350.  I've rebooted everything, same result.  Later, I plan to take the SB 350 to my son's house to see if it works there. If it doesn't, I assume that means a fault with my SB 350.  If it does, I'm not sure what else there is to try!

Of course I'd be grateful if you have any further thoughts.

Dan

alanrichey42 Master
                    Result is the same as when I tried the set up with my Shaw (Motorola) 630 satellite PVR receiver.  The ring spins, but nothing happens.

Ahhh.   You have learned the first lesson of problem reporting.  Make sure you tell us EVERYTHING..    This is the first time you have actually specified the problem.   It actually means that everything else you have tried as been an absolute waste of time.  Sorry   If we had know that earlier we could have saved you a lot of time.

What is happening is that your Mac is not communicating with the Sling servers properly to download the binary codes and image for the Shaw receiver.  It has nothing to do with the Slingbox, it is your Mac (not uncommon as Slings and Mac have never worked well together)..   That is a problem I cannot help with personally as I am not a Mac or network expert.  But the setup can be done with any computer so the solution is to do the setup with your son's computer, or any other computer you can lay your hands on, preferably runing Windows.

Danby

Alan, it looks like we may have solved the problem.  First, I should mention that an SB technician  told me this morning that he thought the problem might be that my computers are using an old version of Adobe Flash.  I downloaded the latest version on both my MacPro and MB Air, same result, can't find remote and I get an error message when trying to access my son's receiver. 

Then, at the suggestion of my son, I tethered my MB Air to my iPhone using the iPhone hotspot function, and was able to access my son's SB which as I mentioned earlier, he added to my account.   That proves, we think, that the source of the problem is the Bell Internet modem/router.  Although it's been rebooted several times, I still get the same problem.  I can't expand this experiment at the moment to include the SB because I can't get it onto the same network as the iPhone, but at least we know that it's not my computers. 

Fortunately, I had decided recently to switch Internet providers from Bell to Rogers, and a new Rogers Internet modem/router is to be installed tomorrow. 

Fingers crossed!

Dan

alanrichey42 Master
                            That proves, we think, that the source of the problem is the Bell Internet modem/router.

Yes, that sounds logical.   Although it still could be some sort of firewall issue on your Mac.   As you say, fingers crossed.

Danby

My Slingbox 350 is now working fine, and has been registered.  It's hard to pinpoint the exact problem, because I was finally able to connect, not by doing anything different, but by trying repeatedly and finally it worked.  I suspect that my home network is somewhat fragile-what I've learned from this exercise, if I've learned anything which is debatable, is that you need to be very careful about your network.  In my case, the satellite receiver is remote from the Internet modem, so I've had to connect with a poweradapter.  It seems to be OK, network light on the SB is illuminated constantly, but something seems to be affecting the stability of the network.   I'm now able to get in without any trouble, either by computer or by my iPad running SlingPlayer, and hope that things will continue to be OK.  I'm impressed with the quality of the display on the iPad.

For anyone who has a Shaw DSR 630, the correct remote from the list is Shaw Direct (satellite) 0000.  That's the address code that the Shaw IR/RF 600 remote is set at.  You can change the address code (could be necessary since the remote puts out RF in addition to IR) to avoid interference with other remotes,but in my case this was not necessary.