6 Replies Latest reply: Jun 8, 2010 6:31 AM by eferz Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Location Services Communication Error!?

Emoney1

I have been using my Slingbox Pro-HD for over a year now. I rarely  use it for viewing on my local network at home, but I use it a lot for  remote viewing when I travel. It's been pretty stable until the last  month or so when nothing was working and support said I needed a  replacement box $150. Even though I did the replacement, the problem  wasn't actually the box, it was the power supply. The only reason I knew  that is because they forgot to send me a new power supply with the  replacement slingbox-HD and when I set it up I had the same problems as  the one I returned. So, I went and bought a $20 dollar power supply with  the same rating and everything worked again. I plan on getting my $150  refunded btw.

So, I was using my Slingbox for a couple of days  remotely viewing on my Mac or my phone without problem, and now since  last night I can't connect. I happened to be working near home and went  back to reset my router (even though internet works fine), cable box and  the slingbox. I went throught the whole setup assistant again and  everything worked and the configuration was successful. However, I still  cannot connect to the Slingbox remotely or even on my home LAN. I get  the following error no matter what:

"SlingPlayer can't connect to the Slingbox Location  Service. Check your networks internet connection and firewall settings.  If they're ok, then the Slingbox Location Service might be temporarily  unavailable. Please try again later."

Now I'm not  exactly sure what is going on. The setup assistant runs fine but then I  cannot connect. Anyone else having this issue? I run Sling Player on a  Mac running Leopard 10.5.8 with a Dlink Router and Time Warner as cable  provider.

Thanks in advance for any info or advice.

• Re: Location Services Communication Error!?
          ACC572772 Newbie

I'm having the same problem--one day SlingPlayer is working, the next day with no changes to my networks I suddenly get the "Slingplayer Location Serivce cannot be contacted" error.  Viewing via the web works, but I'd prefer to use the dedicated software, not a web browser.

I would try to reinstall SlingPlayer but I cannot find a download link.

eferz Expert

Sling's Location Services is directory on the internet.  It acts like a specialized Dynamic DNS for Slingbox.  It keeps a listing of Slingbox Accounts, IDs, and IP addresses.  Since most residential ISPs assign a dynamic IP address to thier customers, the Locator Service tracks IP information.  The IP information is gathered from an identification packet from your Slingbox.  It will intermittently send out an information packet to msg.sling.com.  The packet is sent through TCP 5678, 80, 443, 8080, 3490, 3074, or 3724.  It will cycle through each port and will stop when it receives an acknowledgement.

When you use the web Slingplayer on www.sling.com, it is already propagated with the information from the Sling Location Services; however, the stand alone Slingplayer application, will get the information from 70.42.244.144:443 or 63.97.127.35:80.  (Actually its a range of IP address, which you can get from using netstat -o and matching the pid with taskmanager.)  Slingplayer Mobile for iPhone uses dish.sling.com

Anyways, there are two things you two should try.

1.  The web app: http://watch.slingbox.com/watch/sling_player  See if it works.

2.  Manually connect ot the IP address via Slingplayer 2.0 app.

Command Bar | Slingbox Directory (Alt + D) | "Add" button | Check Internet Domain Name or IP address (for advance users):

Then fill out the IP address of your Slingbox and the rest of the information on that form.  See if it works.

Rexy624 Newbie

Just had  my Pro-HD fail the same way at just over one year so I'm out of warranty and got the same B.S. from them. NO way I'm paying another $150 to them so opened it up and found a blown capacitor (it's the middle one near the middle of the board) and plan on replacing it myself. I'll try and post a pic of it later. That may not be all that is wrong with it, but worth a try replacing a $1 part instead of getting raped for $150! Seems reasonable they'd show some flexibility since it is only a month out of warranty and surprisingly the standard warranty in Europe is two year, not the one year here in the US.....

eferz Expert

I wonder if you're posting in the correct topic.  The inability to connect to the Location Services is not one of the symptoms that's related to the blown capacitors.

Futhermore, Dana has already said something about replacing SOLO's for a small fee if your out of warranty and they determine that it is a hardware issue.  You just have to take the time to walk through the troubleshooting steps with a customer service representative.

Slingbox  SOLO: Streaming stops unexpectedly

Thanks for posting. To answer your question about replacement, there is no current replacement process for this particular issue, simply because we're still narrowing down the symptoms and fixes. At this point we can't comment on whether or not a process like that will take effect. However, I can say that existing Sling policy for product support for hardware failure is pretty straightforward and easy - here's 

• Call our tech support team
                    • They will verify your support eligibility.
                      • If you are within 90 days of purchase, it's all free.
                      • If you are outside of 90 days but within your hardware  warranty, there is a small fee for the tech support (which is refunded  if it turns out to be a hardware issue!).
                      • If you have purchased an extended care plan for your  Slingbox, calls are free and the hardware warranty is extended for 3  years from date of purchase.
                    • If after troubleshooting the support technician determines  that the issue is a hardware failure, they will:
                      • Process the replacement free of charge and refund the  tech support fee if you are within your warranty period, or:
                      • Charge a small fee for an out of warranty hardware  replacement and, again, the tech support fee is refunded.
                  So, to summarize the existing Sling support kung fu if you have a  hardware failure:

• In warranty? Free replacement!
                      • Out of warranty? Pay a small fee, get a new box