21 Replies Latest reply: Mar 1, 2013 7:51 PM by bvezzoso RSS

Deceived and angry!

micro23

Why cant I use the slingplayer software? I was told to upgrade and now I cant even use it?

I had a classic. It worked perfect, and I have been using the unit almost daily for years. Unfortunately every time I used it,  I was constantly nagged and told I needed to upgrade becuase the classic was no longer supported or was not going to work correctly anymore. Now I upgrade, and the same software that has been nagging me says that the new slingbox 350 isnt supported!?!?!?!  This is beyong frustrating. That is not my only issue, the entire product has taken a HUGE step backwards in connectivity/usability and I'm very angry.

Howcome the stream stops when I launch a game?

I have two monitors. With my classic this scenario worked perfect. With the new web player, now when I launch any games or movie the slingbox feed freezes until I alt-tab or bring it forward. Yet another downgrade from my classic.

Howcome i cant use the keyboard anymore to change channels?

The onscreen controls on the website are slow, and poorly placed/designed. Why cant I use my keyboard anymore to change channels and g to bring up the guide? Third downgrade from my classic.

The website uses way more resources then the player.

Seems that the web player is using almost double and even tripple the resources the slingplayer was using.

When I go fullscreen the mouse dissapears when it's on the second display

If you have the slingbox go fullscreen it blanks out your mouse. Therefor if you have two screens you cant even use your computer anymore because the mouse goes invisible. The only fix is to launch slingbox in one browser and then use another browser for web/use.

When you double click fullscreen to come out, it just goes black

Why on earth do you not bring the main window back to the front? If you have it fullscreen and then you double click you just go back to the desktop and the original sling window does not even come back up. I believe this is due to the dual monitor setup again, but it's not it has the same result in single display.  Terrible design.

Rewind buttons dont work on the website

There are big rewind fastforward and pause/play buttons on the website. They do nothing. (not the dvr ones) I cant rewind or fast forward. The only way to do it is to move the slider manually. IF you do move then slider the video and audio go out of sync most of the time and you have to refresh the page to get back to live/insync

My remote was not a choice so i picked a similar one

I have the most popular cable box for verizon fios. In fact every single person in my area has the same box and yet it's not listed in your database. After looking thru a few it looks the the entire database needs some serious updating. Motorola HD QIP 71001

Picture and audio going out of sync

Becuase the player is now web based (why on earth did you guys do this) If your browsing the internet and your browser has a hickup or your flash player gets initiated or you start to do another directx stream your slingbox either freezes or goes out of sync.

So If you guys are going to FORCE me to use the website...

What happens if you go bankrupt?

What happens if you have website issues?

What happens if I loose internet?

What happens if I go to my vacation house with no internet, I wont be able to get the player to work even I brought it with me and have all hardware on site?

What happens if the slingsystem which links the slingboxes to the accounts/websites goes down?

What happens if you guys get sold?

Why do I have to deal with the absolutely awful webplayer?

Why would you want to bring everyone to your website therefor increasing web costs when I could just use a player? It's not like your making advertising money?

How come there is a player for android, ios, WD and now tv's but there is no app anymore for MAC/PC? What sense does that make at all?

All and all I'm incredibly dissapointed that I upgraded my box!

The quality of the picture is the only upside. (It sure does looks fantastic)

Few spelling and grammer mistakes, sorry I tried to write this out as fast as possible to get the info down.

• Re: Deceived and angry!
          caryc

I second your feelings.  I bought  this thing so that my parents can use it.  They are not that savy,  but  they can click a stand alone icon that is set to launch in full screen  mode.  I know this web portal version is going to be too complicated.   They won't know to click the small icon (even if I tell them) and  they'll sit there with a browser and a tiny video window on the 46"  LCD.  And that assumes that the user and pass are in my cookies.  What  happens if someone clears it?  Then they'll be calling me!

Come  on Slingbox - I bought this thing thinking it was like the old ones  that a friend showed me, complete with stand alone app.  That's what  convinced me to buy it.  You have the code base, add it in.  I know  engineers in Silicon Valley that could do it in a few days!

With  no response to this thread soon, this thing is going back to Fry's.   Then you'll start having opened product on the shelves, which is a dead  giveaway for a bad product . . . but not until I write a truthful  YouTube review of the product.  Not some paid-for Cnet reviewtisement.

OvCollyer Apprentice

You're definitely right about the limitations with the web player - it really isn't great on a dual monitor setup.

The only thing I'd say is that they do provide information on this website about which players work with the new Slingboxes so you could conceivably have researched this before buying it, and you'd have found you would need to use the web player with the 350. You could then have used the web player with your classic and got a feel for using it beforehand.

I think many people would like to see a return to a properly supported desktop application for Mac and Windows though, but I can't see Sling going back on that decision in all honesty.

schindt Newbie

micro23 wrote:

So If you guys are going to FORCE me to use the website...

What happens if you go bankrupt?

What happens if you have website issues?

What happens if I loose internet?

What happens if I go to my vacation house with no internet?

What happens if the slingsystem which links the slingboxes to the accounts/websites goes down?

What happens if you guys get sold?

Why do I have to deal with the absolutely awful webplayer?

The right questions to ask them during their roadshows and other presentations.

Maybe they simply don't have the knowledge to create a simple desktop player for Windows or MacOS, or there is a known security issue. Not to forget that there is an potential opportunity to ask for subscription fees to get access to their servers.

doitt2 Newbie

Sums up my thoughts.  It just does not appear that enough people are complaining about this decision to make a difference, or the right people are not receiving the feedback. 

The strategy makes as much sense as telling a mobile or tablet user to use a browser instead of a native app.  No one would put up with that, though it is exactly the same deficiency, but somehow people tolerate this on a desktop.  I'd even be willing to be extorted for another $15 for a proper desktop app.  Seriously.

caryc

This might help.  Since I use XBMC to also watch and organize all my videos, I was able to create a Slingbox one-click.  It runs the page in the application.  Yes, it is still running via the web, but the surrounding web fluff is gone.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW-TO:Use_Netflix_via_an_external_player

You can replace the netflix.com with either http://slingplayer.slingbox.com/embedded/slingplayer.php or http://newwatch.slingbox.com/ or http://download.slingmedia.com/player/embedded/v28/austinapp.swf

Its not perfect, but it works. To exit, Alt + F4.

I'm now researching to see if XBMC can launch the slingplayer Firefox extension outside of the browser.

Slingbox, how about writing a native small add-on for XBMC so that we don't have to jump through these hoops?

SRALPH Newbie

Great post!   Unfortunately I doubt anyone at "DISH-Box" pays much heed to these forums.

I have a legacy SB PRO and was thinking of "upgrading".   The new 500 looked pretty cool other than the asymmetrical form factor.  Whatever....

I started using the WATCH app webplayer when it was beta and honestly thought it was a good alternative to support more devices with rich browsers to access the Slingbox and so I didn't have to install an app on my work PC.  Nope - instead they ditch the PC app in favour of the web app and charge for a Slingplayer app for each mobile device platform?  A$$ backwards!  I see all the mobile apps are half price now - very telling.

I'm currently having trouble connecting to my SB on my home network or via internet.  I've tried to troubleshoot and decided to reinstall the old Slingplayer app rather than trying to resolve it with the web app.  I forgot how much better the old Slingplayer app is!  Still no joy yet though - likely a firewall or router issue though.

FCBayern1900

Hey my POS SB wont change channels on any of my Dish Network receivers... and the SB that Dish now sells ($49) must go thru your account in order to be watched online... meaning.. If I give somebody access to my Dish SB.. they have access to all my personal info on Dish's website.

Bunch of **** if you ask me..

Sorry for the Language

tcaradonna Novice

OP, thank you for an excellent assessment of the changes.  I completely understand why you and many others are upset.  Very valid points!  I hope SB moderators send this to the product managers.

JonDigital

PREACH!!!! Getting fed up with this product and lack of support.  Something has to be on the market that works the same if not better than Slingbox. 

ghuntington

Since this is related to the original post I'll post here as an FYI.  Thankfully, I was able to return my Slingbox 350 which I paid $179 for at BestBuy and picked up a $99 Solo online with free shipping.

The Solo works as well, if not better than the 350 for me - and it does what I expected it do, so my **** doesn't hurt as bad after only forking out $99 - plus $15 a pop for the Slingplayer on all our Apple devices.

The Slingbox 350 slowed my Airport Extreme down to a crawl, which was, ultimaltely, the breaking point for me.  This was even when the Slingbox was idle. I spoke with Tech Support about the problems (download speeds dropping by a factor of 20, my Windows Media Center Extender would be unresponsive while trying to browse the library) which stopped as soon as I unplugged the Slingbox, and started as soon as I plugged it in.  She said she heard someone say something similar before, but officially, it's not supposed to do affect the wireless if not being used.  It did, but my new Slingbox Solo doesn't do that.

So the advantages of the Solo for me are:  No internet required, no browser plugins required as I use the legacy app instead, the ability to actually use my WiFi without unplugging the Slingbox, and the opportunity to use a remote at my Mac by linking the buttons to keypresses (P for Play etc).  I don't think it's as easy to do in the browser.

The disadvantages of the Solo for me are: The picture quality - which is somewhat better on the 350 - and mainly due to the lack of component cable in the box.  Also, the built-in IR blaster on the 350 kept me from having to use the IR cable and hang it over my DVR.  Setting that up on my Solo took 2 minutes, and you can't even notice it, FWIW.

I hope this helps others considering purchasing the Slingbox 350, or others still within their return window.

OvCollyer Apprentice

Just wondered - did you consider a Pro-HD? That's roughly a Solo but with an additional component input and thus higher resolution and picture quality (up to 1920 x 540 basically).

I totally agree that their are numerous advantages at the moment in using the older generation of Slingboxes such as the SOLO and Pro-HD.

Unless the slightly improved picture quality and smoothness on the 350/500 is important to you (for example if you have a stable and fast connection or are only using the box locally) then it's hard to think of any other reasons to "upgrade".

Lack of compatibility with the standalone Slingplayer and Slingcatcher are massive drawbacks IMO, but I expect long term Sling would happily see the back of these Slingplayers (more fool them, sadly) and releasing new boxes which are incompatible probably takes them a step further along that road.

ghuntington

Hey there, I agree with everything you said.  I think the Web Browser plug-in allows them to monitor our activity as well, to "better improve their product".  I'm sure that the legacy apps don't allow them to get as much data on us, which is why they may be forcing the issue with the browser.

I briefly looked at the Pro-HD as well, but it's difficult to find here in Canada. It seems to be out of stock almost virtually everywhere.  It looks the best price is $260, which is more than I wanted to spend for sure.  It's probably much cheaper in the US!  Cheers

bvezzoso

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                  DISAPPEARING MOUSE WORKAROUND FOUND

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I  was also experiencing this same problem.  The desktop version  video/audio sync is so horrible that I could not use it and I know that  they've discontinued development on it (I think).  I have a 3 monitor  setup and I thought that the mouse was disappearing over the entire  monitor but I have discovered that it is only hidden in the same browser that you are using to watch Slingbox.com.

Most  people with two monitors will open one browser to play Slingbox.com and  another browser, which is usually the same as the browser playing  Slingbox.com, to continue browsing the Internet while watching TV on the  other.  The mouse is only hidden in all browser windows that is playing Slingbox.com.  So  if you are watching Slingbox.com in Chrome, the mouse will dissapear in  all Chrome browsers.  If you are watching it in Firefox, it will go  away in all Firefox browsers.

So  the work around is to use a dedicated browser to play Slingbox.  If you  like to use a particular browser to surf the Internet, pick a different  one to play your Slingbox.com.  This isn't a perfect fix but at least  you don't have to wait for them to get around fixing.

SlingMedia, if you read this, report and fix this bug and remind your programmers that you have users with two, three+ monitors.