7 Replies Latest reply: Apr 1, 2013 12:13 PM by keith.sling RSS

Android App and Classic Slingbox

ACC734763

Hi I realise that the official line is that the Classic slingbox is not supported and not compatible with the Android phone app but from other posts the app appears to work fairly well.

I downloaded the Slingplayer app for my phone Samsung Ace 2, logged in an everything seemed to work fine.  My Sky box was streaming Ok on the phone.  I then changed the input from the Sky box to the coax and it didn't work.  Since then when i open the Slingplayer all I get is the following: "Alert   Can't connect to your Slingbox because it is not connected to the Internet. ......etc and so on........"

The Slingbox still works fine through my PC.

So the Slingplayer app worked fine initially on the phone and now appears not to be able to find my slingbox.  Has the software decided that as it is a Classic Slingbox and not compatible that it is Blocking access to the box?

I would appreciate help to overcome this problem and get the app to work.

• Re: Android App and Classic Slingbox
          ACC734763

Just to update this problem i've had.

Today the slingplayer decided to work OK.

It warns me that i am trying to connect to a slingbox that is not supported by the app but  I press Ok and it connects fine and

plays OK.

Any thoughts??

alanrichey42 Master

That original message was simpy one of those 'glitches' you get with computers, could have been a million different things.  The message you are getting now is correct, it is Sling's way of warning you that future version of the Android player may break backwards compatibility.   So make sure you keep a backup copy of the APK file for this version

buckyswider

Hmmm, trying this with my slingbox classic and SlingPlayer 3.2.0 for Android tablets.  I get the warning message, and then it never connects and goes back to the main screen.  Has the app been updated since December to no longer work with classic??  Or am I doing something wrong??  Can't upgrade to a new sling, since I'm still on coax input (I'm not gonna pay an extra 8 bucks a month to comcast just to connect a sling that I will only use occassionally).

If 3.2.0 is not longer "grudgingly compatible" with the old classic, is there a prior version available that will work?

Thanks.

alanrichey42 Master

I'm not an expert on the Android Table app, but if it is anything like the IOS app then the iPhone app works perfectly with my Classic, but the iPad doesn't work.  It uses a more advance streaming technique that the Classic hardware can't cope with.   It might be the same with the Android versions in that the phone verison works with the Classic but the Tablet app does not.

buckyswider

Ahhh, poop.   Thanks for the reply.  I wonder if it's woth the 15 bucks to find out if the phone version will work anyway.

Why doesn't anyone support coax anymore??  Maybe I'll grab an old VCR or DVD player and try coax in/composite out...then grab a 350 or Solo.

Or maybe I'll see if there's a tuner card/software that emulates this functionality.  Life used to be so easy.