19 Replies Latest reply: Sep 11, 2015 6:43 AM by christopherdownes RSS

Longstanding Airplay Issues

Ronwright.us

Just to get the topic back into the list again. There are longstanding issue with AirPlay use on slingbox ios apps. The aspect ratio is fixed causing video to be displayed improperly via AirPlay. When using an ipad 2, 3, or mini I get video in a 4:3 display. Newer iPhones  give me and elongated 16:9 that is squished so much as to be unwatchable.

Also, the issue with video hanging after a channel change in AirPlay mode persists. Must exit airplay to get the video back.

Both of these issues exists across 6 iOS devices running iOS 5 or 6. Two Apple TV units both version 2 with latest software updates. Sling player clients, both the iPhone and ipad versions. Slingbox is the HD with latest firmware. Doesn't matter what quality options you select in the apps. Same results.

All other iOS devices that support airplay display fine and properly fill the tv screen as they should.

Been waiting on a fix for this one for quite some time as it appears many others in this forum have. If you have read this far please add a "me too" comment to this post so that we might raise additional attention at sling to these issues.

-Ron

• Re: Longstanding Airplay Issues
          OvCollyer Apprentice

Yep, I get the aspect ratio and the channel change freezing issues too, and have done for ages.

tip123

Same here.  As a matter of fact, any command using airplay leads to freezing.  PLEASE FIX THIS ALREADY... IT HAS BEEN TOO LONG.

voyage

I can watch live tv on airplay but i get the same problem if I try to change channel and I can't get access to my DVR .

chadkirby

I am just going to add that I have the same problem...

Cannot change channels without exiting airplay and putting the video back onto the ipad/iphone.

Aspect ratios are all messed up and cannot be changed from the device.

I have iPad 3 and iPhone 5 both with similar issues.

Thanks

OvCollyer Apprentice

Is a fix on the radar for this, Sling?

We pay a premium price for the iOS apps, some of us twice for iPhone and iPad, so I think it is reasonable to expect a high level of support in getting issues like this fixed.

sighte

Another 'me too' here.

My work-around for these issues has been to use AirPlay Mirroring, although it's awkward having to enable/disable it from outside the app.

psavini

Hi, I can't even get AirPlay to work in the SlingPlayer app.  I get sound but no video through my AppleTV.  The only way I can get video is with mirroring and that is giving me the aforementioned (and annoying) 4:3 cropped window.  Can anyone offer any tips to get AirPlay working in the SlingPlayer app?

My software is all up to date.  I have a brand new SlingBox 500, iPad 3G, brand new latest version AppleTV.

Thanks

steveuk71

Please fix this!!!

psavini

I played around this some more.  I had to upgrade my wireless network in my house to ensure that throughput wasn't an issue.  That eliminated, I discovered I can output to Airplay in AUTO and HD video modes only.  SD does not work, I only hear the audio.  For HD even though I have decent network speeds (6Mbs upload remotely and 7Mbs download loacally) I just get too much buffering for it to be watchable - however, I would note that picture I saw in this mode was way off - letterbox at top and bottom and stretched in the middle.  The picture in AUTO mode was perfect, but AUTO mode on my iPad 3 is pretty lousy, fairly constant buffering, but more watchable than HD mode.  I'm not sure why SD mode doesn't work, is this a known limitation?

OvCollyer Apprentice

Sling, is this being looked at?

Isn't it a bit ridiculous that you can't change channels when using Airplay without exiting Airplay first, changing channel, and then starting up Airplay again?

Are you happy that this has been the situation for months, with your premium priced software?

Fix these issues and Airplay becomes a viable option for displaying content on a TV, as it stands it's severely limited.

If everyone else with these issues can add to this post maybe we can get it looked at. Go people!

chadkirby

Not sure if anyone else can test this out...

I have a 3G/4G (LTE) SIM card in my iPad.

I was watching without being connected to my wifi network the other day, and it changed channels no problems.

Maybe just wifi related?

OvCollyer Apprentice

Was this using Airplay to stream to an Apple TV?

I'm not sure how you'd do that from 3G, as you'd need to be on the same network as the ATV surely, ie using wifi?

Channel changing is fine when playing on the iPad, the issue here is the inability to change channels when streaming via Airplay to an ATV.

Apologies if I have misunderstood you

chadkirby

Sorry - your right - I was not using the Apple TV, that's why it worked fine.

I use the Apple TV so much, I was caught off guard when it actually changed channels...

Chad

OvCollyer Apprentice

In case it's of interest to anyone I've discovered the aspect ratio problem disappears when you connect to a Slingbox 350.

However, it occurs if I connect to a Pro-HD.

OvCollyer Apprentice

Sling, is there any chance we could get these issues nailed for the next app update? I'm guessing you have one planned soon for the Auto/HQ/HD problem, so it would be great if the aspect ratio and channel change issues described in this thread could be fixed and included in that update.

This would make Airplay an excellent alternative to the connected device players for those with Apple TVs.

psavini

Second that... as it stands, advertising this device as Apple TV capable borders on criminal.

christopherdownes

I found an article from sling stating this is a hardware related issue on older sling boxes.

http://support-worldwide.slingbox.com/get/KB-5000363.html

Funny thing is I've hoarded 3 old sling catchers to use in TV setups so I can stream my sling of pro-hds (I have two in different locations). I purposely didn't want to update to the 350 or 500 because they're not supported on the slingcatchers.

Why oh why doesn't sling make a native app for the Apple TV? I want a permanently connected method for streaming in my entertainment setup. I DO NOT want to load it on my iPhone or iPad and AirPlay it and drain my devices battery (watching a baseball or football game would not go well).

Sling could easily get a lot more of my money (at least 2 newer sling boxes and I would even pay for an Apple TV app). But without a native Apple TV app, I'll stick with my 2 Pro-HDs and 3 sling catchers.

What's worse is that I have paid for both iPad and iPhone versions of the app back when they WERE $30 each.