3 Replies Latest reply: Mar 19, 2013 6:09 PM by ACC5016058 RSS

Does Slingbox 500 work with DirecTV?

li33gwm

I don't have a Slingbox yet, but am interested in getting the new Slingbox 500 if it could work with DirecTV. If this does work with DirecTV, how do you access your TV/shows/DVR while you're out of town? Before I buy, just want to make sure its compatible and can use it out of the house. Thanks!

• Re: Does Slingbox 500 work with DirecTV?
          nuspieds Newbie

Yes, it works fine with DirecTV DVRs.

Your Slingbox and the DirecTV DVR are connected, so once you connect to your Slingbox from your remote location/device, you will have the remote control available to control your DirecTV DVR.

ACC4699258

yes, it does.  I have it setup with my HR34 and it is working fine.  I had to select HR20 (I think?) in the setup as the HR34 was not listed.

PS...unfortunately, HBO and several other movie channels require component cables to be used versus HDMI.  That is a hassle.

ACC5016058

Clarification.   The 500 may not work with a (I think newer) C31-700 Directv slave box.  The slingbox support tech claims to have never seen this Directv box.  This box uses a cable like this http://www.amazon.com/Directv-H25-Component-Video-Cable/dp/B006R9O2PC .

I couldn't get it to work reliably and neither could Slingbox support when they connected to my SB500.  Per Slingbox support tech (I've masked the tech's name) :

6:44 PM 

SupportTech:

The issue is that cable.

6:45 PM 

SupportTech:

The issue is the cable running through the chord you are using and going into the slingbox.

6:46 PM 

SupportTech:

It is not anything we can fix, the Slingbox requires a direct connection to the cable box and that means no other chords like the one you are using.

6:47 PM 

SupportTech:

We have a lot of Direct TV customers and this is the first time I have ever seen that c31-700 box.

6:47 PM 

SupportTech:

With all other direct tv units that have component and composite output this does not happen