16 Replies Latest reply: Dec 24, 2012 4:46 PM by jljeeper@msn.com RSS

On demand back button not working

jljeeper@msn.com

When navigating on demand menu there is no way to go back or up to the last menu page. Back button does nothing. The only way is to leave on demand and start over at the top of the menu. Only one direction navigation. Is there a way to go back?

Sorry about forgetting the details

I have the Slingbox Pro HD at software ver 2.1.370 controlling a Motorola set top box DCT6412. All the controls from a PC and tablet work fine. Of course the PC and tablet have a "Motorola" on screen remote. Too bad the WD Media player app doesn't. My older Slingbox "Sling player receiver" remote control also worked fine with this Motorola DCT6412 box. It seems the only real problem I have is navigating backwards in the on demand menu. I can't find any way to go back except exiting on demand completely and starting over. The back button has no action. Even using the iphone WD remote control app has the same problem. BTW I also have a boxxee box that has the same problem, back button does nothing.

So the least frustrating method is to find the movie you want to watch on the PC and start it playing, then log in with WD Media player to view on the TV. Not convenient at all.

Thanks for any ideas

Jon

Message was edited by: jljeeper@msn.com

• Re: On demand back button not working
          alanrichey42 Master

Without knowing which of the 25,000+ A/V devices you are talking about no-one can suggest anything.

jljeeper@msn.com

Sorry about forgetting the details

I have the Slingbox Pro HD at software ver 2.1.370 controlling a Motorola set top box DCT6412. All the controls from a PC and tablet work fine. Of course the PC and tablet have a "Motorola" on screen remote. Too bad the WD Media player app doesn't. My older Slingbox "Sling player receiver" remote control also worked fine with this Motorola DCT6412 box. It seems the only real problem I have is navigating backwards in the on demand menu. I can't find any way to go back except exiting on demand completely and starting over. The back button has no action. Even using the iphone WD remote control app has the same problem. BTW I also have a boxxee box that has the same problem, back button does nothing.

So the least frustrating method is to find the movie you want to watch on the PC and start it playing, then log in with WD Media player to view on the TV. Not convenient at all.

Thanks for any ideas

alanrichey42 Master

Better, a very full explanation, thanks  

OK, the fact that the back button on the PC version is working means that the binary codes in the Slingbox are correct.  The problem is that Sling seem to have not mapped them correctly in the WDTV and Boxee apps.   Now I cannot do anything to fix that, I'll leave it to the Moderators to formally report it as a bug.

Where I might be able to help is if you install the Custom Remote I built, we might be able to 'tweak' the code file so that all the viewers work.   If you want to follow that route then install this Custom Rwemote and see what happens:  Motorola DCT-6416 III PVR

jljeeper@msn.com

I will definitely give this a try. Give me a hint or two. Does this file get loaded on the wd player somehow? It may seem like a dumb question but I am totally new to theses media players.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad

Jon

alanrichey42 Master

No, the file is downloaded to the Slingbox (see the instructions) and replaces the one that you downloaded when you uses the built-in selection from Sling.   With a bit of luck you won't see any difference on the PC and there is a remote chance the WDTV will work correctly.  But If not, unlike the built-in codes, I can start to tweak it to try and make it work

jljeeper@msn.com

Ok for some reason the last CH button on the on-screen menu suddenly started working. I think it was when I decided to try the 6416 remote control file (from Sling) then after determining that some of the buttons don't work correctly (for one, the on demand button goes to the wrong channel)  I went back to the 6412 remote (says downloading binarys when you change settop) Now the "last CH button" on the onscreen menu works. It definately would be much nicer if Sling would map the handheld remote's "Back button" If Sling can fix that it would be much more user friendly, Especially since the Back button serves no purpose in the Sling App. (WD TV and Boxee) It appears disabled since there is no indication that a command is sent at all.  After thinking about trying your custom file built for the 6416-III and understanding that it goes into the Slingbox binarys - I am concerned with the rest of my players that work fine now (windows and Iphone/ipad), It seems that it would affect these. After trying the Sling version of 6416-III, I noticed that some controls didn't work right. With my tiny bit of knowledge on this, it appears that your answer here is what needs to happen...

"OK, the fact that the back button on the PC version is working means that the  binary codes in the Slingbox are correct.  The problem is that Sling seem to  have not mapped them correctly in the WDTV and Boxee apps."

How do I get attention brought to this?

Thank you

Jon

It doesnt seem that I will be able to try a custom binary file for a while since the Slingbox is in my office (not local) and I won't be back to work for a week.

Message was edited by: jljeeper@msn.com

alanrichey42 Master
                                  After thinking about trying your custom file built for the 6416-III and understanding that it goes into the Slingbox binarys - I am concerned with the rest of my players that work fine now (windows and Iphone/ipad), It seems that it would affect these.

But the crucial point is that they are called 'Custom' for a reason.  They can be customised to work with anything.

"OK, the fact that the back button on the PC version is working means that the  binary codes in the Slingbox are correct.  The problem is that Sling seem to  have not mapped them correctly in the WDTV and Boxee apps."

How do I get attention brought to this?

I think we have to hope that the moderators pick it up and pass it on.

It doesnt seem that I will be able to try a custom binary file for a while since the Slingbox is in my office (not local) and I won't be back to work for a week.

You can isntall Custom Remotes from a remote location, you don't have to be with the Slingbox.

jljeeper@msn.com

Ok I followed the instructions and loaded the custom remote code C0483. Didn't help the problem in its current state and actually lost a few controls with buttons now labeled A, B & C, On Demand button greyed out and not working on PC onscreen remote. I understand that these can be custom programmed now since I'm using an un-compiled code. Although very interesting, I don't have the hours needed for me to learn this process. I started reading and downloading tools and well I can see it will take many hours and only might work. I will leave this to the pros.

Thanks

Jon

alanrichey42 Master

No you misunderstand.   I am quite happy to do the tweaking, I am retired with plenty of time on my hands    All you need to do is install each attempt and report what is wrong.  So:

1.  Is the basic image correct ?  if not can you tell me what device number you used originally to get the correct image ? Later:  Sorry, just re-read the thread and see it is the Motorola set top box DCT6412, I'll work on that.

2.  Which buttons specifically are not working ?

alanrichey42 Master

OK, this is the remote image I get when I install that device.  Is that correct ?   I don't actually see a 'Back' button, can you explain in a bit more detail how you use it ?

Image1.jpg

jljeeper@msn.com

Definitely a misunderstanding. I have been talking about the "physical" remote that came with the WD Media Player. This circled button has no function in the Sling player App on the WD Media Player. It seems a great place for "Last CH" or "back to last menu" on VOD, which are usually the same button anyway.

I am thinking of getting a universal remote and programming the buttons in "Learning mode" from the WD remote, since the WD remote does have the functions I need they are just hard to find and too many buttons need to be pushed. Then you couple that with the normal delay of sling player and it gets frusterating especially if you push the wrong button accidentally which is very easy to do since you have to toggle menus off and on for each command. I cant see how this is even usable by a normal (non techy) person. No way the wife can ever do it