My problem is a strange one and I appreciate anyone that has some insight on how to fix this, as I have spent hours on the phone with technical support with no resolution.
I come from an old Slingbox and recently had to upgrade to the 350 due to the old model crapping out. I got this 350 around Thanksgiving 2012. Setup was easy and was up and running right away.
The problem I am having is each morning when I try to connect to the Slingbox using the Watch link on slingbox.com it just spins and spins saying its connecting, without any connection being made. The stream light on the front of the Slingbox lights up when this happens. Network and power lights are also illuminated.
At first I tried disabling firewalls, disconnecting other devices on the network to avoid possible IP conflicts, trying other browers, clearing cookies and cache. The one thing that seemed to fix the temporary problem was rebooting my computer. Once back up I was able to connect and stream for hours. This is now my fix on a daily basis. Mind you I shouldn't need to reboot my computer to use this product. I'm a pretty savvy network guy so this kind of problem is driving me bonkers.
Here are a few things:
- The Slingbox is connected to a 4 port Netgear switch behind my TV which is connected back to the router via CAT5. Other devices on this switch are a PS3 and WDTVLive.
- This seems to be an issue when I try to watch locally, when in the house and not outside of the house.
- I once tried clearing my cookies and cache in the browser and that seemed to work, but didn't work again.
- I run antivirus, Windows Defender. My OS is Windows 8. Computer is brand new from around Thanksgiving 2012.
- The Slingbox rep thought Windows Defender was causing a problem by detecting Slingbox as a threat. That can't be as I see no mention of Sling being quaranteed or picked up. Windows Defender scans at 3 AM and my problem tens to occur at 6:30 - 7:00 AM.
- I use Windows Firewall, tried disabling and tweaking settings.
- I use a Linksys WRT54G2 router. All ports fowarded properly.
I appreciate anyones help. I have done pretty much everything I can except for exchanging the unit for a new one and taking it to another location and trying to use it on someone elses network/house. I just don't feel it's defective. Hoping I am missing something in Windows 8 that is causing the problem.
What's interesting to me is a reboot fixes it everytime, like Windows 8 is stuck or holding something. No clue.
Thanks for your help!!