20 Replies Latest reply: Jan 22, 2013 5:42 AM by JonDigital RSS

Need To Reboot Computer Everyday To Use Slingbox 350

JonDigital

My problem is a strange one and I appreciate anyone that has some insight on how to fix this, as I have spent hours on the phone with technical support with no resolution.

I come from an old Slingbox and recently had to upgrade to the 350 due to the old model crapping out.  I got this 350 around Thanksgiving 2012. Setup was easy and was up and running right away.

The problem I am having is each morning when I try to connect to the Slingbox using the Watch link on slingbox.com it just spins and spins saying its connecting, without any connection being made.  The stream light on the front of the Slingbox lights up when this happens.  Network and power lights are also illuminated. 

At first I tried disabling firewalls, disconnecting other devices on the network to avoid possible IP conflicts, trying other browers, clearing cookies and cache.  The one thing that seemed to fix the temporary problem was rebooting my computer.  Once back up I was able to connect and stream for hours. This is now my fix on a daily basis.  Mind you I shouldn't need to reboot my computer to use this product.  I'm a pretty savvy network guy so this kind of problem is driving me bonkers.

Here are a few things:

• The Slingbox is connected to a 4 port Netgear switch behind my TV which is connected back to the router via CAT5.  Other devices on this switch are a PS3 and WDTVLive.
      • This seems to be an issue when I try to watch locally, when in the house and not outside of the house. 
      • I once tried clearing my cookies and cache in the browser and that seemed to work, but didn't work again.
      • I run antivirus, Windows Defender.  My OS is Windows 8.  Computer is brand new from around Thanksgiving 2012.
      • The Slingbox rep thought Windows Defender was causing a problem by detecting Slingbox as a threat.  That can't be as I see no mention of Sling being quaranteed or picked up.  Windows Defender scans at 3 AM and my problem tens to occur at 6:30 - 7:00 AM. 
      • I use Windows Firewall, tried disabling and tweaking settings.
      • I use a Linksys WRT54G2 router.  All ports fowarded properly.

I appreciate anyones help.  I have done pretty much everything I can except for exchanging the unit for a new one and taking it to another location and trying to use it on someone elses network/house.  I just don't feel it's defective.  Hoping I am missing something in Windows 8 that is causing the problem.

What's interesting to me is a reboot fixes it everytime, like Windows 8 is stuck or holding something.  No clue.

Thanks for your help!! 

• Re: Need To Reboot Computer Everyday To Use Slingbox 350
          JonDigital

A follow up...

I had noticed for good number of weeks when clicking on Support on slingbox.com to view my Slingbox details showed a local IP address that did not match the actual local IP address of the Slingbox.  The IP assigned to the Slingbox was 192.168.1.102 and on slingbox.com it was showing 192.168.1.108.  As of last night I noticed the website is now matching the IP assigned to my Slingbox 192.168.1.102 - 192.168.1.102.

Could this have been the issue all along?  Thanks for any insight. 

JonDigital

Just wanted to add a bit more info from my testing.

This morning the typical problem arose. This time I decided to load up the iPad and test.  To my surprise the iPad had no problem connecting and streaming while the desktop computer required a reboot.

Thanks again.

OvCollyer Apprentice

Which browser are you using - have you tried a different one?

Does a reboot of the Slingbox have any effect in solving it, or only a reboot of your computer?

Have you, or are you able to, try a different PC?

JonDigital

Last update.  After getting a new router over the weekend and testing I am still running into the same problem. 

When the computer does not connect I am able to connect to the Slingbox via my iPad and iPhone.  Computer still needs a reboot.

I am guessing this has something to do with Windows 8 or something firewall/network related in Windows 8.

Any ideas would be very helpful.

Thanks!

JonDigital

Happy New Year! 

Wondering if an admin or Slingbox expert has taken a look at this?

At this point if I had to reboot my computer everytime it's not the end of the world but I would like to use this product the way it was intended.  I'm pretty ****** off a unit that I bought over 7 years ago worked better than a newer updated version.

I appreciate any help from Slingbox in this matter.  Thank you. 

OvCollyer Apprentice

Are you able to try it on a different PC with the same OS?

Might narrow it down to hardware vs the OS.

JonDigital

Unfortunately I do not have another machine that uses Windows 8.  The only other devices/OS I have been able to test are from my iPhone and iPad and they work just fine. I haven't been at work for weeks but I am going to try and bring my Windows 7 laptop home tonight to test it out.

Will report any findings that I get with the Windows 7 machine.  Not sure why out of all the troubleshooting I've done why this one step I didn't think of.

Thanks for the idea.  Will update tonight/tomorrow.

OvCollyer Apprentice

Is it always one reboot per day that fixes it by the way? Ie does it work fine after that, and is literally the next day that it fails?

If so, do you reboot or switch off any equipment like the router or something or is there anything scheduled to run on your PC overnight or every day or something like that?

Just that if it was a regular one reboot per day thing then you could conceivably workaround it by configuring your PC to do that automatically, assuming its possible with Windows 8.

If it's a more sporadic problem then I guess this wouldn't work though.

JonDigital

Yes typically my daily routine is up at 6:30 and watch sports highlights until I go to work.  Each morning I have to reboot the computer if I want to use the Slingbox.  That one reboot basically takes care of it for the day.  Works all day and literally the next morning a reboot is required. 

My PC stays on 24/7/365.  My router is always up.  The only devices on my network that get shut off when they are not in use are my PS3, WDTVLive, and WDTVLiveHUB.  I do have Windows Defender setup to run at 3:00 AM every morning.  I was toying with the idea of disabling that as well or switching it to a time during the middle of the day.

This is fairly consistent.  At first I thought a 24 hour period it must have to do with DHCP etc.  All my devices in my house have an IP based on the DHCP reservation I have setup for them.

Thanks again. 

OvCollyer Apprentice

Up at 6:30 to watch sports highlights - that's hardcore

I'd try disabling Defender then if you've not tried. Otherwise an automated reboot of the PC if that isn't too disruptive would be what I'd do in your situation.

I don't know if you'll get much help on here from Sling in actually fixing it in all honesty. They do read here, and do sometimes fix things that are raised but it's never transparent in that they rarely say they are working on a fix for X, Y or Z. Some issues remain outstanding for months/years/forever, others get fixed...it's a bit of a lottery from what I can tell.

JonDigital

Well I'd like to say I'm hardcore but let's chalk it up to me not sleeping as nearly as well as I used too.

I will make the change to Defender and disable it completely.  Funny thing is I never used Defender in the past.  Simply used it b/c it came with Windows 8 and was free/convenient.  If this proves to be the ultimate problem I am killing it and going back to another AV software.  Once again it will allow me to curse Windows name.

Thanks. 

JonDigital

I'm back to report that after disabling Windows Defender yesterday I still needed a reboot this morning to get Slingbox working.

The last test I am going to try this evening is a different computer with Windows 7.  If the Windows 7 is able to connect I will chalk it up as a Windows 8 issue.  Hopefully the Sling team can get some updates going for better Windows 8 compatability. 

Thanks again for all your help and recommendations.

JonDigital

I just wanted to add one more thing.  This morning I did NOT use the Slingbox as I was running late. 

I decided to log in from work here and try it out (Windows 7).  I had success logging in.  I expected this to happen as my issues only appear to be Windows 8 related or local network related. 

I am heading home for lunch today and going to try to watch without a reboot now that I tested it remotely and it did work.  Betting it will not work when at home.

Thanks again. 

JonDigital

So I seem to have narrowed it down..

Brought home my Windows 7 machine.  Everything works fine without a reboot on Windows 7 (wireless and hard wired lan).  Windows 8 machine still required a reboot.

I'm at a total loss as to what on my Windows 8 machine is causing this problem. 

Thanks.

JonDigital

I'm getting to a point where this is going back to the store.  The reason for the return is not because of the problems I am having but due to the lack of support from Sling.  You guys should be embarrased. 

Spend countless of time on the phone with multiple techs who sit there with a long duuuuuuuuuuuuh I have no idea answer for me.  This is simply not acceptable.  No call backs with updates and no ideas on how to fix this other than to send me here or to use the typical troubleshooting of resetting the unit.

It would nice if Sling could acknowledge my problem and that a fix is being looked into.  Quite frankly find it hard to believe i would be the only one having this problem, especially if it's Windows 8 related. 

Tomorrow is my last test.  I am bringing a Windows 7 machine home to see if its related to the OS.

Will report back.  Not that any administrations are even looking.  I do greatly appreciate all the help of OvCollyer but it shouldn't be his/her responsiblility to troubleshoot the problems of Sling.

JonDigital

Ok I've narrowed this down even more. Not sure if anyone is even paying attention but here it goes.

On my Windows 8 machine I was able to get this working without a reboot using.........

The Facebook App

So that leads me to believe something is wrong with the plugin, but it doesn't work with any web browser I try.

Any advanced settings for these plugins or any about:config commands I can potentially use to fix?

Thanks.

JonDigital

Just wanted to report back.  I've been very sick and I have just gotten around to doing some more testing.

I don't want to put the cart before the horse but I do believe I fixed my issues but not sure how.

I decided to setup the Slingbox from scratch, rename it using a different name. 

THis morning when I got up I loaded the Slingbox and voila it worked without needing a reboot.  The first thing I noticed that was different from before when it wasn't working without a reboot was I noticed LAN Streaming is not connected, lit green and says YES.

Will give this another day to test but feel this may be fixed.  No clue how.  Maybe a Windows Update from this week fixed it?

Thanks for everyones help.  I'd like to thank Sling support themselves but they offerred no level of support that was more helpful than the community members of this forum.

JonDigital

Still running into the same problem I decided to return this thing.  Very dissappointed in the lack of support from the people at Sling.  You lost a long time customer of multiple Sling products.  Will not be recommending this product in the future.  Totally went into the crapper.

Closing this thread.