10 Replies Latest reply: Oct 7, 2014 11:10 PM by kramsey8303 RSS

Problem viewing full screen on Mac

jimmylu

I recently bought the Slingbox 350. The problem I'm having is properly viewing content on my computer through Slingbox.com. I am unable to view it in full screen properly. I have tried three different browsers--Firefox, Chrome and Safari--and all three have the same problem. My computer is a 15" MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard. I use the component video cables. Internet upload speed is 3+ mbps. HD Cable thru Comcast.

I am posting photos of the same shot to illustrate the issue (from Moneyball). When I click on the full screen button there is about an inch (or more) of black (unused) around the entire screen in what should be the "full-screen"(pic 1). If I use the menu bottons to change the format, the picture does indeed widen to the fit width-wise, but it is just digitally widening the shot and not truly going full screen properly(pic 2). Zoom simply zooms into the picture and loses a lot of content off screen (pic 4). I also used the Mac functionality to "manually zoom" into my screen to show what I think a "true full screen" picture would look like for comparison (pic 3). While this is a semi-workaround, it is a PITA and not the way I feel the Slingbox should work(also the sound is no longer perfectly synced). Does any one have any suggestions to fix this problem? Appreciate any ideas!

• Re: Problem viewing full screen on Mac
          agreen1483

Exact same problem here! Any solution? anyone?

ferguspa Apprentice

It seems like the Slingbox either isn't (or doesn't think it is) receiving a HD signal.  The screenshots look very soft compared to my LAN-side 350--is it possible that the Slingbox is receiving a less-than-HD signal?

Otherwise I'd be looking toward the options in your cable box to control pillarbox/letterbox/HD output types.

jimmylu

I agree with your observation that the picture looks less than HD-quality (in addition to my original question of the lack of true full screen mode). One problem is I've never seen what a picture through Slingbox.com is "supposed" to look like, in order to determine if there is something wrong with my setup and broadcast. All the attachments using the composite cables are done correctly to Comcast HD receiver box. So I'm not sure if there is a second problem, and if so, is it related to the first issue of no full screen. Any other ideas? How would I go about determining if it is receiving a proper HD signal?

agreen1483

Again, same problem here. When I  bought my 350 last Oct. I was able to get true full screen for about three weeks only then it ended. It seems to have happened around the time sling updated for iPhone 5 users. I have the sling player app for my iPhone 4 and it is no longer true full screen either. The picture quality was greatly reduced after all this happened.

Sent from my iPhone

ferguspa Apprentice

I have the SlingPlayer app (3.1*) for my iPhone 4 as well.  My tests mirror the screenshots (HD, pillarbox, windowbox) in my earlier post, although the quality loss is a lot less pronounced going from a 1080i -> 480i source because of the smaller number of pixels and increased pixel density of the phone's screen.

*3.1 since 3.2.3 crashes when attempting to start streaming from a Slingbox AV.

ferguspa Apprentice

I've attached some screenshots from my DirecTV HR24 streaming from a Slingbox 350 to a current-generation MacBook Pro on my LAN*:

- ESPN running at 1080i**

- GSN running at 480i with a 4x3 program running (with HR24-generated black pillarboxing on each side)

- Oxygen running at 480i with a 16x9 program (with HR24-generated black pillarboxing combined with Oxygen-generated letterboxing, resulting in windowboxing)

I think you're seeing the third option (SD signal + windowboxing) in the screenshot presented.

I'm not familiar with your cable box so I don't know the resolution options available per output--there possibly may be per-output options that might need to be set to allow your Comcast box to output HD over component (especially if you'd never used the component output before)?.  I'd suggest when testing to look at easily-discernable known-HD things such as weather maps, on-screen graphics on ESPN, etc since it's easier to see if graphics quality is up to par.

*The bandwidth usage for a "Best" quality HD signal runs around 6000-8000 kbps on my LAN, so if you're not getting enough bandwidth between the Slingbox and the computer YMMV.

**Upconverted by the DirecTV receiver from ESPN's standard 720p.

jlguest

Thanks Ferguspa. That's helpful. I will need to check if my Comcast (Motorola RNG200N) cable box needs to be specially configured to output an HD signal. Unfortunately, I am traveling right now so will have to work on it when I return and temporarily be satisfied with what appears to be an SD-quality signal while I am away. I appreciate the screenshots and suggestions. And I'd mark your answer as "helpful" if only I knew how.

jhaysom Newbie

I now get a green line appearing on the top of the screen.. any ideas?

ive treied to change resolution settings on the STB but no luck.