6 Replies Latest reply: Jun 5, 2010 9:45 PM by Bryanod RSS

video lags sound

qwertyme77

I just set up my new slingbox today and I have noticed that the sound and picture are not in sync on my pc. The video lags the audio by about 1 or 2 seconds. I have the pro hd, but am streaming sd content (I don't have an hd set right now, but plan to get one in the future.) My pc is an older desktop running a pentium 4, cpu speed 2.4 gHz with 2.25 gb ram and an AGP type (BFG brand) GeForce 6800 gt graphics card using 256 mb gddr3 and I am running XP service pack 3. I also have an older soundblaster sound card running a small set of 5.1 surround sound speakers. My slingbox and computer is on my home network, but I want to be able to watch on my laptop 350 miles away on a DSL home network. I plan on sending the picture to a tv there via my laptops s-video and headphone cables.

Is there anything I can do to get the sound and video to sync, or is this something I will just have to live with?

• Re: video lags sound
          qwertyme77

BTW, assuming I can find a Slingcatcher, would that solve the problem at my remote location?

robbr Newbie

Is your Sling connected to a DVR box?  If so sometimes hitting the "rewind" button can help resolve the issue.  Also, try turning your box off then back on.

qwertyme77

No DVR. The circuit is: Comcast cable into a 1ghz splitter, side A goes into Slingbox pro HD tuner for unencrypted signals which then goes into TV aux coax in.  Side B of the splitter goes to a Comcast DTA box ( one of the new "free" ones) via coax in AND out. The coax then goes into a Hi-fi stereo VCR and comes out via RCA jacks, one for video, and two for audio left and right. These RCA cables then go into the Slingbox's RCA inputs. From there it goes to another TV video input. The slingbox is sending the feed to my computer via my home ethernet network.

Now I noticed last night that using Taskmaster my CPU usage would spend alot of time at 80% to 100% usage. Might that be the reason for the lag, that my CPU can't keep up with the video processing, but the audio flows right through because it doesn't need as much CPU power?

robbr Newbie

Sounds like it may be your computer that just can't keep up.  Have you tried restarting your computer and turning off all programs but Sling to if that helps? 

2nd option would be to take the cable directly to your Slingbox and not use the VCR, you could be causing the audio delay with all the extra cables in the mix. (If I followed your set up correctly)

qwertyme77

I think it's my computer. I switched my input source to the Comcast cable feed with no DTA or VCR, just using the Tuner in my Slingbox Pro HD. There is still a lag.

Even with no programs running I am still bouncing between 80% and 100% CPU usage. Plus I am skipping frames too. It's really not a problem for me, but I am trying to set up a feed for my wife 350 miles away at our home. Her laptop is newer than my computer so I am hoping she will not have a similar problem there. In any case, now I'm trying to find a Slingcatcher to solve my problem and to make it easier for her to use back home.

Bryanod Novice

The high cpu use would indicate that your cpu is doing the work your vid card should. 2 things to check.  Ensure your video adapter properties in device manager shows your video card and not Standard vga.