6 Replies Latest reply: Dec 17, 2012 11:20 AM by keith.sling RSS

Can't connect to sling box

whitewasabi

I just bought a slingbox pro from my friend(red). ive been tryingto connect to it for hours and it keeps saying  "There was an error connecting to your Slingbox. Please try again." I've tried resetting the slingbox, resetting the router (netgear wg4614 v8), disabled all the norton's andwindows firewall on my laptop (windows 8). ANyone have any suggestions please? thank!

• Re: Can't connect to sling box
          keith.sling Apprentice

Hello whitewasabi,

I'm sorry that you're having an issue connecting and setting up your Slingbox PRO. I would need some additional information in order to determine what could be causing that connectivity issue.

In order for me to further assist you here, could you please provide the following information:

• Is the Slingbox hardwired directly to the router or are you using a wireless bridge or powerline adapter?
          • How long is your ethernet cable?
          • Are you getting a solid network light?
          • What browser are you using to go through Setup on Slingbox.com, and is windows 8 in desktop mode?
          • Is the PC directly connected to the same router as the Slingbox?

Thanks,

The Sling Moderation Team

whitewasabi
              • Is the Slingbox hardwired directly to the router or are you using a wireless bridge or powerline adapter? Hardwired to router
              • How long is your ethernet cable? not long... 3-5 ft
              • Are you getting a solid network light? yes, all lights are solid on the slingbox
              • What browser are you using to go through Setup on Slingbox.com, and is windows 8 in desktop mode? ive tried all browsers. chrome, ie, and firefox. yes itsindesktop mode.however the same happens w/ on my other machines in the house w/windows 7
                • Is the PC directly connected to the same router as the Slingbox? no, pc is connected via wifi. but i tried to directly connect it to router w/ wifi off and still the same problem. i know its something w/ the router, but i can't figure out what needs to be enabled/disabled to work.
                  keith.sling Apprentice

Hello whitewasabi,

Thank you for the follow up! Alright, so it seems you are meeting all the system requirements and as long as you have the network and power lights lit solid; then the Slingbox has an IP address and is connecting. I'm sorry you're still having an issue here. I would advise checking that UPnP is enabled on your router and then you can try power cycling both the Slingbox and your router. Have you checked your firewall settings within your router as well? Some routers may require manual configuration. Another possible culprit could be the network speed, which you can test right at speedtest.net. You'll need atleast 600kbps-1000kbps to connect.

Here are some additional steps you can take to manually configure your router:

Hope this helps!

Regards,

krbrown

I too cannot connect to my slingbox, either hard wired of by remote. It happend all of a sudden. I have been using it for years and it all of a sudden just stopped working. there is only one light on on the front panel, the one to the far right (I'm not in front of the box now so I can't tell you what light it is).  I replaced the power supply with one I had lying around and the box worked for about 10 seconds then when back to the dead state again.  I put the old power supply back and it still does the same thing, trys to log in and then times out with the message Error connecting to sling box. HELP

krbrown

I have tried all the things you suggest in your reply to my question. Nothing has changed on the slingbox end (where the box actually resides). It's been this way for years. I recycled the router, powerd off and on the slingbox and all that. Some people have said I may need a new power supply, and I have run across this problem with hard drives before, where the power supply somehow caused the problem even though power was present. I really need this box to run as I run a public access tv station and need the box to see what is playing on the channel when I am in a remote location. I have tried to connect from 3 different places with the same result, the time out message. HELP

keith.sling Apprentice

Hello krbrown,

I do apologize for any inconvenience you're experiencing with your Slingbox. The power supply could be the issue here and if you have tried all of the troubleshooting steps that I have suggested then the next step would be to replace the power adapter.

You can purchase replacement parts here:

Hope this helps!

Regards,