9 Replies Latest reply: Dec 16, 2012 2:08 PM by callanish RSS

WDTV Live changing channels

Jeff363

Does anyone know how to change the channels on the WDTV Live Slingplayer App?  Everytime I need to get to channel 805, it takes so long that it usually ends up on channel 5 or 0......Why does the app not support the remote control so that I can just type it in and enter??

What am I missing?

Jeff

• Re: WDTV Live changing channels
          slingster2

Feel your pain.  There's no way around it.  The 12-second delay in every remote entry renders all remote control useless.  The slingplayer app on the WDTV is only good for streaming and that is it.  Forget about being able to control what you're watching such as changing the channel, pause, record, play, fwd, rwd, etc. because of the long delay.  If only the slingplayer app let you customize buttons for channel favorites since that would ease a little pain.

DAN20

You can press more than one number when you go to enter a channel number instead of waiting for each button command to be processed.  The app itself is far from perfect, the main problems is the delays for commands, freezing and losing connection.

The app that has been updated for the new slingboxes causes more of a delay for commands than it did for the PRO HD, for the PRO HD when the starting streaming appeared the stream started just about almost instantly where you heard the audio first and then the video, commands were a little smoother and unless the stream froze each command was 3secs.

The way the app is now for the new slingboxes doesn't start the stream straight away, there is like a 3sec delay with the black screen before the stream is actually shown and every command for me is now 6secs, i think that the app perhaps has the 3secs buffer and the way it's been designed for the new boxes with the additional delay adds up to the 6secs delay, maybe the extra buffering of the stream is to somehow cope with fluctuations in the connection before it's streamed, either way it's as you're saying 'painful' trying to use the remote.  If the stream freezes and manages to continue, commands can take more like 20-30secs.

If viewing remotely atleast, trying to hit too many commands in a row will freeze the streamm, typing in channel is not so easy to avoid but other commands you have to wait for a command to be half done before trying another and you might be lucky to not cause a premature freeze.

The app seriously needs fixing but sling seem to be ignoring the complaints or passing the blame to WD

I sometimes resort to connecting my laptop to the tv and use an android app (droidmote) where i've mapped most of the commands.

If you have the mobile app, there is a glitch with the android app atleast where if you're streaming on wdtv and bring up the guide on the mobile app, if you select a channel from the guide it will try to connect and although a message comes up saying the slingbox is in use it will strangely change the channel.  Unfortunately you can't use any of the other commands

Jeff363

I was afraid that was the answer.  I am surprised that Slingbox would allow this given that their reputation is on the line.  I have 2 Vizio TV, which are great and have lots of great apps, however, they don't have one for slingbox.  Again, very disappointed as I have to rely on the WDTV Live.

Are there any other alternatives out there that work well?  I am hoping that I missed something, but I did a pretty exhaustive research and found nothing of equal or greater value than WD, which is say alot!

Thanks....

Jeff

DAN20

I think the best results for remote viewing (from a different location) at the moment is via the sling site itself given the glitches with connected devices.  I've only used wdtv and a laptop to connect with but people seem to be having the same problems with other devices such as the boxee box (only the older version as i think the newer one doesn't have it) which is no longer going to recieve updates.

People seem to be reporting that on local viewing (slingbox and device on same network) that they don't experience the freezing issues but i'm unsure about the delays in commands.

As i said, if i'm not using wdtv then i use my laptop and use a mobile app as a remote as most of the tv remote buttons have a keyboard shortcut like g for guide.  I think you can buy usb remotes and maybe infrared to use a programable remote, alternatively a wifi keyboard which can come in different sizes.

You said you have 2 vizio tv, is that the streaming google tv box or did you misspell vizeo being an actual tv?  If it's the box, people are saying that there is a slingplayer app which doesn't seem to appear in the list of apps BUT there is something called spotlight and the app is hidden there, hopefully that is what you have and perhaps you could post back your experience with it and whether that was remote or local viewing.

Jeff363

I was referring to a Vizio smart tv......I do not have the google box as I heard they are just as bad as the wd tv live.....hopefully the will get out a decent app for the smart tv to use soon....this is bad looking for Slingbox!!

Jeff

callanish Apprentice

The sony nsz-gs7 googletv box has been the most stable for me next to the slingcatcher for streaming and I've been using it for a while now, watching remotely from a great distance and using it consistently. If I'm the lucky one out of everyone else, then so be it, but I can honestly say I haven't had a connection or stream stability problem with it yet when using it with my slingbox.

Jeff363

Does the google tv (Sony box) have a standalone Slingbox app or is it done through the Chrome app?  I will check into this as a possible tool to get my sling!

Thanks...

Jeff

OvCollyer Apprentice

It's an optimised web app that works pretty much identically to the app on the WDTV.

As such, it has the exact same limitations regarding the delay in the controls, in that if the stream freezes for some reason then it can gain a very large buffer which means commands takes ages.

On the plus side, in my setup where I'm remote streaming, it is at least more stable. The WDTV can't last for more than a few minutes at higher quality levels without freezing and requiring manual disconnect/reconnect. I don't have this problem with the Google TV.

For example; I was watching this morning on the GTV and my connection speed must have fallen for maybe 10s or so. The stream froze, but recovered when the bandwidth returned, but I was left with a 12.5s buffer, meaning commands took this long to execute. The buffer appears never to subsequently reduce, that's it you're stuck with 12s commands from then on seemingly! I don't understand the logic of the design at all. Surely this is a bug?

However, had that been the WDTV, the stream would have remained frozen, and I'd have had to reconnect to get it back.

By the way I've tried both the Sony NSZ and the Vizio Co-Star Google TVs and the Slingplayer appears from my limited testing to perform identically on each.

callanish Apprentice

Should have added that the remote buffer delay remains an issue on the sony googletv with me as well, and like OvCollyer, I do experience a drastic drop in connection speeds now and then, but the stream always recovers. Also had this going on with the slingcatcher, so it could be ISP related on my slingbox end, but I could go weeks without seeing this, so I'm not overly concerned. The wdtv live, as OvCollyer also pointed out, never recovers from this connection drop / screen freeze, so If I'm not using the slingcatcher, I always go to the google tv sling web interface for streaming.