6 Replies Latest reply: Dec 12, 2012 11:06 AM by slingster2 RSS

Can't enter period in channel number when watching on slingbox.com

slingster2

I have a Tivo Premiere connected to the Slingbox 500.  When I watch it on slingbox.com on a PC, I can't enter the period in the channel number, ie:  26.1, 13.1, etc.  As a result, I can't enter any digital channel or add any favorites.  When I type in the period in the channel box, it just does not show up.  For example, when I enter 26.1, my tivo will display 261, which is not correct.  The same thing happened when I click on a channel in the channel guide.  I can, however, enter the digital channel with the period if I were to use the tivo remote on the screen (it uses "-" instead of "."), but it's an inconvenience because I can't add/use favorites or change the channel using the onscreen channel guide.  This is very frustrating because I paid a lot for the slingbox 500 and I expect it to work.  Please advise.

• Re: Can't enter period in channel number when watching on slingbox.com
          Mightymudkip

I am pretty sure the slingplayer for web guide doesn't use the "-" channels when it fetches the guide because I've never seen it do that on my end with my Tivo, so it looks like we have to be cavemen and do it the old fasioned way. What you could always do to get to 26.1 is add 26 to your favorites and hit channel up other than that it might be that you just picked the wrong guide when you were setting it up Make sure you pick the right one when you enter your zip code, if you are then at least the remote is working! Think on the bright side

slingster2

Thanks for the response but we should not settle for something that should have worked.  Tivo is not an offbrand when it comes to PVR so I'm surprised that slingbox did not fix it.  Everything is set up correctly on my end so it's a bug with slingbox.  I also had the same channel problem with the SlingPlayer Tablet App for the Android Tablet (Samsung Tablet 2 10.1) running Icecream...can't enter the decimal/period in the channel numbers.  It's even more difficult to navigate the channels on the Tablet without the ability to use the onscreen channel guide and channel favorites since the onscscreen tivo remote buttons are small so it's harder to touch them with the finger accuratelly.  Slingbox charges a premium for the hardware and app and I, the consumer, have to deal with their bugs.  I was one of the very first slingbox adopters, still have the original model, so this is very disappointing.

On the upside, it streams great.

alanrichey42 Master

Can we just clarify your problem ?   You say at one point that you cannot 'type' the period, then you say you can do it by clicking on the '-' on tbe virtual remote.   So do you mean you cannot get the period when typing on the keyboard ?

If so that is not a fault with the Remote Control it is a shortcut key mapping problem in the TIVO.SPR image file.   Before Sling issued that image file we had built a Custom Remote to mimic it.   Might be worth a try, if nothing else we can at least tweak it ourselves, unlike the built-in one.

Tivo Premier Custom Remote

slingster2

Yes, I cannot get the period to appear when I enter the channel number in the channel field onscreen.  It just does not show up in the entry box and the Tivo ignores it.  For example, when I type 26.1 on the keyboard, only 261 shows up.  So when I hit enter, the Tivo will think it's 261.  On the PC, to enter the channel with decimals I have to click on the onscreen Tivo remote which would allow me to enter the "-", which is the decimal.  I'm more concern with the slingplayer app on my android tablet since it's more difficult on the tablet because I have to use my finger to hit those Tivo remote buttons, rather than a mouse on the PC.  I prefer to change the channels using the onscreen channel guide and favorites but, like before, the channel decimal just did not register and thus making the channel guide and favofite useless.  In either case, the link you sent me takes me to a link to download some file and do something with it in which I have no idea...thanks anyway.  I don't have time to investigate to fix a Slingbox problem (like I used to).  That should have been done right in the first place, by slingbox folks.  I just want it to work like it should, is that too much to ask?