29 Replies Latest reply: Jan 20, 2013 6:02 AM by CraigNJ RSS

Error connecting to your Slingbox

zzspyder

I can no longer connect to my slingbox.  I did not change my set-up and have double checked that I am connected to my router (hard wired).  I have tried unplugging slingbox and waiting, both of the red lights on front are on and solid.  I even tried running set-up again, but that says my slingbox can not be located.  I have been reading through the FAQ's, but can't seem to find anything to try.  Does anybody have any suggestions?

• Re: Error connecting to your Slingbox
          SonnySybil

The same thing is happening to me. I've tried everything and it still won't connect to the network. Both lights are on too! Maybe it's just dead after three years of use.

Sonny

MikeMono

I can't connect to mine either. The lights are on, checked the connections, unplugged and even did a factory reset. Does anyone know what could be wrong?

lindy98249

Ditto!  everything was working fine, now cannot connect, no matter what I try.  Very frustrating and no answers here.

rslaton

Mine quit working on Dec31, 2012. Interesting that several others quit working at about the same time

xRPDxNemesis

same problem here. tech support was no help at all. tried everything from hard resetting the slingbox, router, uplugging, going through setup, etc. still nothing. this unit was even a replacement unit! so frustrating with no answers whatsoever!

alexfth

mine was working fine on 12/31 during the day.   I disconnected it and didnt need it the rest of the day.   tried to use it on 1/1 and it hasnt worked since.   I can see my slingbox from all my laptops and connect just fine, it just wont stay connected for more than 3 minutes.   Disconnects with "code w201".    When I go to the support page it reports that my slingbox is working fine and provides it's ip address, etc.    No idea what is happening here.     tried resetting everything that can be reset.    It will cost $29 to work with support but Im afraid they won't be able to help and theyll just tell me the box has gone bad.   this is frustrating.   

Some of the problems discussed on this thread seem to be slightly different than this problem but some seem to be the same.  others with the same exact problem?   could this be a 12/31 or 1/1 issue with these boxes?   I have the slingbox solo model.

trivers1979 Newbie

Hello Alexfth,

Thanks for participating in our online answer forums. I can definitely understand how it can be frustrating when the Slingbox went from working fine to not being able to stream for more than a few minutes. It doesn't sound as though the box is bad, it sounds as though there is something blocking the connection or interfering with the stream. We would need some more information, i.e., Is the device hardwired to your router? Are you using a wireless bridge or switch of some sort? Have you tried disabling all firewalls, VPN software, and anti-virus? Have you tried different browsers and or computers?

Here are a few links that can help you to try and troubleshoot the issue further:

Hope this helps, if you have any further issues feel free to respond back!

Have a nice day,

The Sling Moderation Team

alexfth

Thank you for your response. I have tried all of the steps listed in the troubleshooting document in the link.  Same problem. I have 3 different devices that connect to slingbox,  my work laptop with IE9,  my home laptop with IE9,  my android samsung SG3 just purchased 12/26 and I purchased the slingplayer app 12/28 and it was working fine.    around 28th and 29th I had connected successfully with all 3.    Firewall or something like that sounds logical but nothing has changed on any of these devices so it doesn't make sense.    Just for grins i disabled all Zonealarm functions (firewall, anitvirus, etc) and tried again.  no luck.  It doesnt make sense to me why it connects and plays for a few minutes then disconnects.   Any assistance appreciated.

SonnySybil

Please, please please unsubscribe this email address from this forum!!!!!

Thanks.

CraigNJ

SonnySybil -- You subscribed yourself by particiating in the discussion, so you're expected to unsubsubscribe yourself. Click on the link in the email to go to the discussion, then click on the "Stop email notifications" link in the Action grouping on the upper right of your screen.  Can't get any easier than that.

CraigNJ

Ditto here.  Yet it still works from my iPad. I haven't seen any troubleshotting suggested yet.

My more detailed description can be found here:

https://community.sling.com/message/82378

or

https://community.sling.com/message/82325

Lindazilla

My set up was working over this past weekend (12/29 & 12/30), but I hadn't tried to use it again until today and it was down. Now it won't even find the slingbox on the network. (likely due to me attempting the factory reset?)

Was there a recent firmware update or something that could have zapped them?

jdfischer

Jan 2. Same. Log indicates latest update ...today. Hmmmm.

trivers1979 Newbie

Hello Zzspyder,

Thank you for using our online answers forum. If i am understanding correctly you are unable to detect your Slingbox on your local network. I can certainly see how than can be a little frustrating and confusing. The first thing I would ask is did something happen on your home network, ie: power outage, new router, have you tried disabling all firewalls and anti-virus software. I would try doing a factory reset and then go through the setup on setup.slingbox.com.

Here are some links that might be able to help you out, hope this helps!

Please provide more details if this doesn't help troubleshoot the issue!!

Regards,

sbradican

I'm getting an error message of "The Slingbox Administrator password that you typed is incorrect. Please re-enter it." I re-entered it a bunch of times, reset my password, and it still hasn't worked. I'm gettin greally upset over this. I'll be checking the forums since my one year free tech support stopped working a couple months ago (figures, worked perfectly well during the one year waranty).

Fantastic

Same thing. Same error message. I did a full reset and deleted the slingbox to start over. Now I set the password then when I get to configure inputs it tells me the admin password is incorrect.

tcaradonna Novice

This sudden flurry of odd behavior is somewhat suggestive of a firmware or server issue.  Hmmm...

That being said, I know sometimes resetting can cause the ip address to revert to something else, and not pickup an address from your DHCP server.  If that's the case, you need to figure out what subnet it wants to be on, get it connected to computer with that subnet, and change it from there.

Fantastic

My friend and I managed to get slingbox working last night. We had to do a hard reset by holding down the reset for over 30 seconds and waiting for the sling logo to go through rapid blink cycle. We deleted the slingbox in the account and allowed the setup program to find the "new" slingbox. We then started the setup procedure however ***Important*** we avoided the Internet viewing setup!

The slingbox works, including remote viewing. If we try to "test" the Internet viewing in setup, then the box dies and we start all over again.

When you reach the near end of setup where the test is done, close out of setup without doing the test.

I hope this helps someone out there.

Greg

SonnySybil

Unsubscribe this email address from this forum! I've given up on Slingbox!!!

Thanks.

alexfth

Sorry for those who keep getting email notifications on this and are no longer interested!   Anyway, thanks for the suggestion on the reset. I followed this and exitted out of the internet setup test.  I then had to try 4 times to reconfigure my slingbox because during the reconfigure/setup it kept disconnecting.  Finally got through that after 4 attempts (by rushing through everything before the disconnect).  It did improve things.  I am now able to run slingbox for a whole 4 minutes before it disconnects.  I got a new error code this time,  W211 and reconnected and after 4 minutes disconnected again.  now back to same old error code W201 each time it disconnects.   cant help but wonder if adding sling to my android phone caused the box to just plain get confused and **** out.    I've used this for years with no issues,  just put it on my phone last week.  ran a day or two ok after that.  now it just wont keep a connection from any device. 

Colombiche

I got two sling box Solo SB260 and both stopped hooking up to my network, within one month difference,  I do believe the network chip went bad, I do need to know what is the chip for lan, I need the datasheet for the device. Please do not insinue it is not the slingbox since I had them working and did al the necesarry troubleshooting before comming to this forum. I got a specific question what is the reference for the lan or network chip. ? Where can I get a replacement. Thanks.

Please advice.

Lindazilla

I give up. I've completely disconnected everything and tried re-starting. Nothing. I did the factory reset. Nothing. I moved the Solo and the bridges to completely different outlets. Nothing.

Between the time this was working (last weekend) and the time it stopped working (12/31-ish) I have changed nothing about my computer set up, network, firewall, etc. Nothing. I see the bridge that is attached to the router blinking as if data is coming and going. The bridge attached to the Solo is also blinking. The Solo, however, is not connecting to the network any longer.

I think it may be time to box this puppy up and get a Vulkano.

trivers1979 Newbie

Hello Lindazilla,

Thank you for using our forums here. I apologize that you are still having issues getting the Slingbox to establish a solid network connection, especially after it was working fine just recently. I understand that you are using bridges to establish the network connection, have you tried taking the Slingbox making sure the power supply is plugged directly into a wall outlet, hardwire the Slingbox directly to the router via Ethernet cable even if doing so requires it to be done without an a/v source, and then finally do a reset on the device (hold the reset button down for 30 sec's) and then see if you can get a solid network light. If you are able to then run through the setup on setup.Slingbox.com without the video source and then after completing the setup go ahead and hook the device back up with the bridges.

Hope this helps, please feel free to respond back with any more issues you have.

Regards,

PatriciaBoshoff

This may be fine if you are abke to get to your slingbox. I bought mine in the uk in order to watch my tv as I work overseas. It was working fine in the uk and up until yesterday overseas. Last night I tried to connect and it stated that there was an error connecting to my slingbox. Why is this? I tried to skype slingbox but it was permanently engaged. This is so frustrating as I will not be home until June! Such a waste of money- paying for the slingbox, internet and UK sky.

boshoff

CraigNJ

Something else to check:  Something like described at http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-5000338.html might be required to pass through the traffic without turning off your antivirus software.  (It would be unwise to disable your antivirus software's web protection completely, running naked through the forrest of malware out there.)