4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 9, 2012 6:18 AM by rjgrasser RSS

cannot physically connect to router/modem

rjgrasser

Just received (08 Dec 2012) a model 350 which I had hoped to install before my scheduled cancer surgery on 11 Dec, but there wont be any time to play with it.

First off my fiber-optic landline where the router/modem is located is over 75 feet away from the DirecTV satellite receiver installation.  Neither can be moved physically closer to each other.  Obviously, there  is no means to physically "connect" to my internal WiFi network (802.11n) which brings everything to a dead stop.

My unit has a USB port on the rear, but absolutely no instructions/indications of its use.  That would be a handy place to plug in an "access point" card like those from ALFA and give you instant WiFi access.

Any help would be appreciated, but must be via email as the surgery will remove my voice for at least a year.  I should be able to leave the hospital just before New Years, but hope to have a WiFi enabled notebook in the ICU on/about the 17th with any luck.  Email address: rgrasser@frontiernet.net.

Seasons Greetings to all.

• Re: cannot physically connect to router/modem
          shaysfn Novice

Hey rjgrasser,

Thanks for using our Answers Forum.  I wish you the best of luck with your surgery on the 11th.  Regarding the Slingbox 350 and being connected to the router.  There are any number of wireless bridges that you can try that do not require the use of the USB port in the back.  That USB port is there mainly for engineering purposes.  There are devices referred to as "Power Lines" and you can get them at Best Buy that actually use the wiring in your home as the source for your internet.

I am sending a link with the example of what I'm talking about.

You plug one end into the wall outlet near your router, and the other end into the wall near your Slingbox.  You would connect to these using smaller ethernet cords.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Sling Media Moderation Team

rjgrasser

Thanks for your quick response.  Never considered powerline ethernet until now.  I just ordered an Actiontech PWR511KD1 kit (500 Mbps) which should work.  I wont be able to "play" with any of  the  hardware  until I am released from the  hospital probably just before Christmas as long as there are no complications.

FYI: Post surgery recovery is going to be exceptionally difficult as I also happen to be a ham radio operator (K2BRD).  Since I will no longer have a voice; using any mode but RTTY/PSK-31 is gone for at least the next year when they try their "artificial implant".

Seasons Greeting to all, and  thanks again for  your quick response.

Regards,  RJ

shaysfn Novice

Hey rjgrasser

Good to hear from you again.  Glad that you ordered that powerline ethernet, I am confident that it will work fine for you.  Made me smile when you brought up the ham radio.  Great memories of my grandfather (K2YYF).

Again speedy recovery to you and Seasons Greetings as well.

Thanks,

Sling Media Moderation Team

rjgrasser

Seems your grandpa was licensed (K2/W2) in either NY or NJ initially.  I was originally a W8 from Livonia, Michigan back in 1956.

Since your already a "techie" you might want  to look into becoming a ham.  The FCC/ARRL rules have changed radically over last decade making it "idiotically easy" to get a license.  No more CW, just answer 35 simple, multiple guess questions and get your Technician Class.  Answer 35 more questions and get your General Class "ticket".  That’s all it takes these days.

Will let you know how the powerline stuff works out once I get back home.

Regards, RJ