6 Replies Latest reply: Apr 15, 2013 10:02 PM by jpco RSS

BUTTON DELAY!!! Sling it is time to do something about it.

wyamout

We all know sling isn't doing anything to fix the 15-20 seconds delay on all connected devices.

This is getting frustrating and annoying.

DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBEhZvAMclo

• Re: BUTTON DELAY!!! Sling it is time to do something about it.
          alanrichey42 Master

To be fair to Sling I think you will find this is an Internet problem, not a Slingbox problem.   I have seen very few reports about this on the forum so it is not a design fault.  I occasionally get this at times of the day when I know everyone in our village is surfing the Web :-)    At other times it is less than a second.  As such there is nothing Sling can do about it, the laws of physics take priority.

ovcollyer

It's definitely much slower on the connected devices than the web player or Slingcatcher, in my experience.

Something of the order of 5 seconds, I'd say.

However, these is another problem that occurs when the stream gets interrupted or glitchy which pushes the response time up to 15-20 seconds as the OP reported.

To put it into perspective I have been watching using the WD player and experienced 5s response times, but if I then switch to Slingcatcher/web player it's down to 2s right away. Switch back to WD player and it's 5s again. So it isnt down to network conditions in my experience. I've also never experienced it taking 15-20s on the web player or Slingcatcher, no matter how glitchy the stream has become due to changing network conditions.

So for me, it is definitely a design fault with the Slingplayer for connected devices, plus an additional bug that pushes it beyond 15s occasionally.

I had a ticket open recently with WD about issues with the Slingplayer and the conclusion was that the player for WD etc doesn't have as many options for adjusting the stream quality, buffer size as the web player. Maybe these simplifications lead to these problems.

wyamout

I think this is definitely not an Internet problem nor slingbox problem coz on pc works perfectly

I think it's a flash/device problem.  So it's a slingplayer problem.

People complaining about wdtv visio boxee revue and Sony gtv.

Waiting for hisense pulse hopefully they fix this problem but don't think so.

jpco

Hi

Any update on this - I have a sling catcher and it is slowly catching a cold but have been using it for 3 years with no major issues. I am looking for a replacement and tried a WD Live TV - not good with the 5 second delay in changing channels after using the slingcatcher is a big dissappointment. Also the interface the remote has very few mapped keys to the application itself - so add pressing buttons that don't work to this 5 second lag and it makes the whole experience really painfull.

Has any one had any joy with any other connected devices - has any one tried the android app with a droid set top box?

Thanks in advance