13 Replies Latest reply: Dec 21, 2012 9:20 AM by fbara1 RSS

New Dish Remote Access app doesn't see Sling Solo

fbara1 Newbie

After updating this app to Dish Remote Access app v3.0.2, the app no longer sees my Sling Solo.  I was using the Dish app fine a few days ago.  Now it doesn't 'act' the same as the previous version in regard to already having a Sling adapter.

You used to be able to tap on your receiver name and do the Sling setup.  Now that option is gone.  How can I tell the app that I have a Sling Solo?

• Re: New Dish Remote Access app doesn't see Sling Solo
          Apprentice

Hello fbara1,

I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble connecting to your Slingbox. If you are using Dish Remote Access, everything is ran through the Dish Network Account. If you have a Slingbox SOLO, you should be able to connect the Slingbox and view the Slingbox through newwatch.slingbox.com. I have provided a couple links that explain the difference in using Dish Remote Access with the Sling Adapter and a Sling Account:

Hope this helps! Have a great day!

Thank you,

The Sling Moderation Team

fbara1 Newbie

Thanks for the quick reply, Archie34.  Unfortunately, the info didn't work.

From reading the problems other people had, I did a reset on my Solo and ran thru the setup process again.  I was able to complete the setup (I'm on Win7 64-bit so I used the 32-bit version of IE9) and see my show from newwatch.slingbox.com the first time thru.  I logged off and back on again.  The site tries to connect to my Solo but I keep getting the error "There was an error connecting to your Slingbox."  I do this several times but can't reconnect.

I verified the IP address is setup to port forward correctly on my router (Asus RT-N66U) and verified the IP address via the MAC on the Solo.  It seems everything is setup and should be working but it's not.

Update: Here's something interesting, I can connect via Chrome to a computer I have that's hardwired into my network.  On wireless laptops , I can't connect, it doesn't even see my Solo.

On my iPad (app v3.2.4), connecting via wifi within my own network, I can see the Solo and watch TV, no problems.  On my iPhone (app v3.0.2) connecting via wifi within my own network, I can't see the Solo at all. 

So I have a mixture of devices all connecting via different apps or the web and I get different results from each of them.

Frank

fbara1 Newbie

I spoke to Dish Network support and they're telling me I need to talk to Sling because it's a problem with the Solo.

Is there anyone from Sling support that can help?

Apprentice

Hello fbara1,

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly! Just so I am clear on this situation, I have a couple questions in regards to your response. I just want to make sure we are not confusing Dish Remote Access and the Slingbox SOLO. Currently it shows on your account that the Internet Viewing is not setup for the Slingbox SOLO. This would cause you not to be able to view the Slingbox outside the network:

• Have you tried connecting outside the home network?
                      • The application versions you posted in your response, are not our SlingPlayer versions. The application version for the iPad should be 2.0, and the application version for the iPhone should be 3.1. Where did you find the versions you posted?
                      • Have you tried accessing the Slingbox SOLO from more than one browser (i.e. Firefox, Google Chrome, Safari)
                      • Do you have the option to connect with another computer?

Thank you,

fbara1 Newbie

Hi,

I'm specifically having problems seeing my Solo from the DRA iPhone app.  I've had the Solo since 2009 and the DRA app since shortly thereafter.  I've used the DRA app to access my VIP722 recordings and live TV hundreds of times over the last few years.  I do not have a seperate Sling app. 

I recently had my Comcast modem as well as my home router (two different devices) replaced.  Since that time, the DRA app on my iPhone has not been able to see my Solo, either inside or outside my home network.  Interestingly, the DRA app on my iPad CAN see my Solo, and I can watch my VIP722, within my home network.  I have not had a chance to test the iPad outside my network.

I went thru the internet viewing setup on your website.  It updated the firmware on my Solo and didn't give me any errors on the internet viewing page.  I did a manual port forwarding on my router so that port 5001 is forwarded to the IP of my Solo.

I'll try to address your questions here:

• Have you tried connecting outside the home network?  Not with my iPad (it's wifi-only) however I have connected outside my network with my iPhone in the past.  This no longer works.
                          • The application versions you posted in your response, are not our SlingPlayer versions. The application version for the iPad should be 2.0, and the application version for the iPhone should be 3.1. Where did you find the versions you posted?  For the iPhone, I go to the DRA app settings page and the version is listed on the lower right side (3.0.2).  For the DRA iPad app, I go to the settings page and the version is listed on the top right (3.2.4)
                          • Have you tried accessing the Slingbox SOLO from more than one browser (i.e. Firefox, Google Chrome, Safari) I have Chrome (version 23.0.1271.95 m) and IE9 (32-bit), both on Win7.  I can access on Chrome but not on IE9, both running on the same computer that's wired to my router.
                          • Do you have the option to connect with another computer?  I have 2 computers, an iPhone, and an iPad.  1 computer is wired to my router and the other is wireless.  The wired computer can access via Chrome only, not IE9.  The wireless computer can't access via either browser (I get a 'could not connect to slingbox' error).  And as I said, I can access on my iPad app inside my network.

I hope that info helps.  As you can see, it's a bit confusing.

Frank

Apprentice

Hello fbara1,

It sounds like what is happening is your crossing the Dish Remote Access and the Slingbox SOLO. With the Slingbox SOLO, you would view through newwatch.slingbox.com. If you wish to view the Slingbox SOLO through the iPhone or iPad, you would need to purchase the SlingPlayer for iPhone application. With Dish Remote Access everything is ran through the Dish Account itself, as well as is supported by Dish Network. You will want to thoroughly look through the following article because this will explain why you are unable to see the Slingbox SOLO through the DRA application:

I hope this clears up any confusion!

Thank you,

fbara1 Newbie

Thanks you for your quick responses.  However, your last response has confused me.

For over 2 years I've been using Dish Remote Access apps to watch my Dish programming on my iPhone.  When I log into the DRA app it connected to my Sling and I could control my VIP722 and watch live tv and DVR'd programs.  I didn't need the Sling app to do all this.  

In fact, I can still do this with the DRA app for the iPad.  That app can 'see' my Solo and I can watch.  The DRA app for the iPad acts just like the DRA app for the iPhone USED to act.  This all changed with the last DRA app update for the iPhone.  Now, the DRA iPhone app doesn't see my Solo anymore, either inside or outside my network.

I have an Asus RT-N66U router and it's set to forward port 5001 to the IP address of the Solo (192.168.1.254):  I've tried this forwarding with and without the Local Port setting.

Service Name

Port Range

Local IP

Local Port

Protocol

Add / Delete

TCP  UDP  BOTH  OTHER   

Plex 32400 192.168.1.217 32400 TCP 

Sling 5001 192.168.1.254 5001 TCP 

However, when I check my Solo settings on your Support page is shows a different IP for my Solo:

Set Up Complete: Yes

Slingbox Public IP Address: 98.220.194.7

Slingbox Private IP Address: 192.168.0.254

Slingbox Port: 5001

My home network is setup as 192.168.1.x and you're showing 192.168.0.x.  I don't know if this is part of the problem.  I've run through the Solo setup several times but it keeps showing up as the wrong IP on your site.  

Frank

fbara1 Newbie

The latest response I got from the Dish Remote Access team is that the ability to use the Sling with the DRA app was removed with this latest update.

Knowing this would've kept me from spending several days researching this issue and wiping out and reconnecting my Sling adapter and router settings.  I can't begin to tell you how upset I am at all this.

I've been using the Solo for 3 three years and telling all my friends how good it is.  Now I'll be without my sports when i' away from home.  I often counted on using my iPhone to watch my favorite sports and shows over family get-togethers.  Now I can't.

However, there's still the issue of why you show my private IP to be different than my actual private IP.  I think that might be part of the problem I'm experiencing with inconsistent behaviour with watching my Solo from different computers within my network.  I can still only view my Solo on wired computers not wireless.

Thanks,

Frank Bara

fbara1 Newbie

I'm requesting Sling support reply to my question about why my private IP, as shown on the main support/status page, is incorrect.

Should I do a chat or call to resolve this?

Frank

fbara1 Newbie

I did a chat with tech support and they wanted me to pay for this incident because I'm out of warranty.

I can understand that if I did something on my side to cause a problem.  But the problem is on Sling's side: their listing of my private IP is not correct and that's preventing me from getting the full use of my sling.  I can't correct the problem on their side, I need them to do that.  I shouldn't have to pay for that.

Anyway, the tech told me she 'sent a special note to the people who moderate the boards' to repond to my post.  So far, nothing.

I even changed my Solo's static IP to be the same that Sling shows on their site.  That didn work, either.

fbara1 Newbie

At this point, I'm going to asume that I will not get any help from Sling support. 

While quick to respond to my original post with a bunch of links to documents that didn't address my issue, I have not heard back from anyone for almost a week. 

Now my Solo is basically useless to me.  I can't see it via the newwatch.slingbox.com outside of my home network and Dish Remote Access for iPhone no longer "see's" the Solo with the last update.  So I can only use my Solo when I'm at home.  Nice....

I have no other option that to advise everyone I know not to purchase a Sling product due to the poor level of customer service.

Frank

fbara1 Newbie

Today I checked my status page and I see the real private IP showing.  I don't know if someone from support changed it or what, but now it's working.

I didn't receive any notice that it was changed, I just found out by coming here and looking.