17 Replies Latest reply: Jan 8, 2014 5:50 PM by powercc RSS

Need help! How to connect THROUGH a pc??

episark

Hi,

I am brand new and could use some help.  I use my PC as my tv tuner/DVR (via Windows media center), my source for streaming video (I watch netflix over my PC with internet explorer), and I have a movie collection on there also.  Normally, I connect my PC to my HDTV with an HDMI cable and watch everything that way. 

I just got a slingbox 500 and threaded my PC hdmi cable though the slingbox and out to my tv.  However, the slingbox is saying there's no video detected.  Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong? 

Thanks so much!

Chris

• Re: Need help! How to connect THROUGH a pc??
          Apprentice

Hello episark,

Great Question! Just to clarify, do you have the PC connected via HDMI to the Slingbox and then another HDMI cable from the Slingbox to the TV? Can you try connecting via Component to see if you get video via Component? Below is an informational link I have provided regarding using a HDMI connection with your Slingbox 500:

Thank you,

The Sling Moderation Team

JazJon Newbie

What if we just add a HDCP complient HDMI splitter?

Example:
            http://amzn.com/B003UYOEMI

We would feed output #1 to the TV and output #2 to the SlingBox.

Would this possibly work and get around the no video problem?

I really would like my Windows 8 Media Center HTPC to be on a HDMI slingbox!  (I can't use component, no way)

tcaradonna Novice

I don't think that's what HDCP-compliant necessarily means in this case.  I think it means that it will pass HDCP keys from the connected devices (like the TV).  I would seriously doubt you can get away with HDCP headaches with just a splitter, especially seeing as it's sold on amazon.  I would love to be wrong, but I have my doubts.

JazJon Newbie

I was told via private message on another forum that we can order "special" HDMI splitters on ebay or aliexpress. just make sure it says "HDMI 3D SPLITTER 1X4" in that font on the top of the device.

You'll output 1 to the tv and 2 to the slingbox.

His info comes from YouTube comments by one guy and another dude's posts on a gaming capture forum. (PS3)
                http://www.youtube.com/all_comments?v=fdtSXRWTJ3A

Looks like this is it:
                http://www.ebay.com/itm/HDMI-1x4-4-Port-3D-Splitter-Amplifier-with-1080P-HDCP-Deep-Color-HD-Audio-/261162273895?pt=US_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item3cce7c0c67

I'm going to order the new Slingbox 500, one of the above, and give it a shot. Hopefully the Media Center PVR IR codes still are a choice while setting up the 500. (it was on the 300)  Luckily the non-existent advanced port forwarding problem I read about won't be a problem for my home network. I'll post my findings! (Mac Mini running Windows 8 Media Center for DVR with 8 Cable Card tuners)

tcaradonna Novice

Please post your findings.  We look forward to hearing positive results.

nmarino

I run Media Center (still on Windows 7) with a Ceton tuner in my setup and I have some good news to report.  What I have found is that if you connect to the Slingbox and then try to start Live TV you get an HDCP error.  However, if Live TV is already playing when you connect from SlingPlayer it keeps playing!  It continues playing even through channel changes and such until you stop it and then try to start live TV again.  But even then the solution as simple as leaving the HDCP error up, then disconnecting and recoonecting.  I have to say 1080P placeshifting from WMC sure does look nice!

I've also noticed that I can play back recorded TV without having to do this trick - everything except HBO.  On HBO, this trick doe not seem to work - I get the HDCP error even if I connect when Live TV is already playing.  But all other channels seem to work.

On the remote, btw, I use the "HP DV1227US" device - it seems to provide the most complete set of Media Center controls.  A bunch of the other options I tried didn't work properly in one way or another.

tcaradonna Novice

I'm thinking of putting together a HTPC with Windows media center, and I am trying to understand how your setup is working.

I know that the Ceton Infinitv has 4 tuners.  Are you saying that you have 1 tuner dedicated to "live tv" and then connect to another tuner with slingbox (like with another video out)?  Or are you using a splitter on one video out. I'm wondering if by having one HDCP compatible device feeding a key to the tuner/stb, then other video streams that are split off will also receive the video signal regardless of their HDCP compatibility status.  (The splitter doesn't act as a HDCP stripper, but instead you tap into a legitamately HDCP-satisfied stream.)

Also, dumb question here, but I assume there is a WMC remote available in the slingbox setup?

JazJon Newbie

tcaradonna wrote:

I'm thinking of putting together a HTPC with Windows media center, and I am trying to understand how your setup is working.

I know that the Ceton Infinitv has 4 tuners.  Are you saying that you have 1 tuner dedicated to "live tv" and then connect to another tuner with slingbox (like with another video out)?  Or are you using a splitter on one video out. I'm wondering if by having one HDCP compatible device feeding a key to the tuner/stb, then other video streams that are split off will also receive the video signal regardless of their HDCP compatibility status.  (The splitter doesn't act as a HDCP stripper, but instead you tap into a legitamately HDCP-satisfied stream.)

Also, dumb question here, but I assume there is a WMC remote available in the slingbox setup?

I have 2 quad Ceton USB cablecard tuners. (that gives me 8 tuners)   They are all setup and working in Media Center.  This means I can have 8 shows recording simultanously.

The 1x4 Splitter I ordered is ONLY to strip HDCP off the HDMI signal so the SlingBox can stream ANY HDMI signal it receives. (instead of giving a black screen or HDCP errors)

The 1x4 Splitter I ordered happens to have 4 outputs yes, but I only need 1x2.   I would order a 1x2 way splitter but I can't find one I can confirm has the unadvertised HDCP stripping "feature".   So yeah I'm going to take feed the output of the HTPC into the 1x4 slitter.  I'll then put output #1 to my TV and output #2 to my slingbox.  (#3 and #4 will remain unused)

When you setup the Slingbox, you normally pick "Microsoft Media Center PVR" but it sounds like we should use "HP DV1227US" as suggested above for more remote control button options.

As far as how the stripping works, what you described above might be how it works.  Somthing is saisifed or stripped but what ever it is, it should work hopefully!

I just got my slingbox today!   My "special" 1x4 HDMI splitter arrives tomorrow acording to the tracking number.

I'll share my results asap!    I'll put a big write up on http://thegreenbutton.tv as well

nmarino

I am not using a splitter.  I am taking the HDMI straight out of the PC in to the Slingbox HDMI input and the Slingbox HDMI output straight to the TV.  You do not get a "dedicated Live TV tuner" with this setup - the Slingbox is sharing the same HDMI connection as the person sitting in front of the TV.  The only way I can think of the get a "dedicated" tuner would be to buy a 360 dedicated to this task.

For clarification the HDCP content is passed through the Slingbox just fine as long as no remote user is connected.  It is only when a remote user is connected that HDCP content does not pass through.

Having said all that, as JazJon suggests, a splitter that strips HDCP would provide a much better solution than my kludgy workaround - I was just surprised to see the content start coming!  I'm also very interested to see if this thing works as advertised as I have tried a few splitters in the past that people claimed stripped HDCP and never had success.  If it does work I would grab one while you can!

JazJon Newbie

nmarino wrote:

I am not using a splitter.  I am taking the HDMI straight out of the PC in to the Slingbox HDMI input and the Slingbox HDMI output straight to the TV.  You do not get a "dedicated Live TV tuner" with this setup - the Slingbox is sharing the same HDMI connection as the person sitting in front of the TV.  The only way I can think of the get a "dedicated" tuner would be to buy a 360 dedicated to this task.

For clarification the HDCP content is passed through the Slingbox just fine as long as no remote user is connected.  It is only when a remote user is connected that HDCP content does not pass through.

Having said all that, as JazJon suggests, a splitter that strips HDCP would provide a much better solution than my kludgy workaround - I was just surprised to see the content start coming!  I'm also very interested to see if this thing works as advertised as I have tried a few splitters in the past that people claimed stripped HDCP and never had success.  If it does work I would grab one while you can!

You seem to be doing something outside the scope of what we are talking about in this thread. (might confuse a lot of people)

As far as I know, The only solid you can get a secondary live TV stream to another TV in  house (without using a Media Center Extender or Xbox) is to get the new HDHomeRun DLNA Prime that's coming out in a few months.  http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/05/hdhomerun-prime-is-the-first-cablecard-tuner-to-deliver-live-tv/

Now back to the SlingBox & HTPC talk.   I just set it up, and so far it's working without any splitter.   I don't have HBO or anything with HDCP flags being sent, so I guess that's why it's working.   When it set it up, it seems sling has you click I understand the limits of HDMI many different places before it lets you use HDMI. They keep suggesting you use component in various places as you move forward.    So as of right now everything is working!

I already had TV playing though wihle I set it up.  You said you had to have tv playing while you turn it on or set it up to make it work, which I did.  I haven't rebooted yet to see what happens.

FYI: picking "Microsoft Media Center" for the remote didn't seem to work!  (not sure why)

When you pick "HP DV1227US" that remote controls everthing for Media Center just fine.  It's a little ugly looking but get's the job done.

Can we contact Sling to ask why the "Microsoft Media Center" IR codes don't work?  I went back and for a few times just to make sure and only the HP one works. (good enough for now)

So the question is once I get my HDCP strip'n Splitter tomorrow, how can I make sure it's working since I don't have HBO etc?  What channel has HDCP for sure that I can tune to for a test?  I want to make sure it's doing what I hope it's supposed to do, and let me sling anything and everything from the HTPC.

I have another problem though using the Mac Mini (late 2012 i7 USB 3.0 model) with Windows 8.   Apple hasn't updated the bootcamp drivers yet, so my HDMI "High Definition Audio Device" driver isn't working.   I've been using the SPDIF Toslink output for now.     The SlingBox doesn't have digital audio in though.    Until apples fixes my HDMI audio, I'm going to have to try and find a device the combines SPDIF TosLink Audio and HDMI video into one HDMI cable.  Apple should come out with them at some point, HDMI audoi works fine on WIndows 7.

UPDATE: looks like Apple is releasing Mac OS X 10.8.3 soon!  (final beta releasd to dev's)

The installer includes a feature list:

The 10.8.3 update is recommended for all OS X Mountain Lion users and includes features and fixes that improve the stability, compatibility, and security of your Mac, including the following:
                                      •     The ability to redeem iTunes gift cards in the Mac App Store using your Mac's built-in camera
                                      •     Boot Camp support for installing Windows 8
                                      •     Boot Camp support for Macs with a 3TB hard drive
                                      •     A fix for an issue that may cause Logic Pro to become unresponsive when using certain plug-ins
                                      •     A fix for an issue that may cause audio to stutter on 2011 iMacs
                                      •     Includes Safari 6.0.3

This should fix my HDMI Audio issue and then I'll have the perfect HTPC SlingBox system.

I hope we can create custom .bin remote control files again like the old slingboxes!  I'd like to add some custom buttons of my own. (START, to get to the new Win 8 metro page, and ALT F4 to close Media Center etc)

JazJon Newbie

Instead of editing the above a 5th time, I thought I'd just make a new reply.

So yeah I discovered one easy thing to confirm HDCP is disabled tomorrow once I get the new splitter.   Any time I connect to the Slingbox through my computer or iPhone slingplayer, the TV goes black for a few seconds. (some kind of HDCP handshake?) 

The warning message in SlingPlayer even trys to convince you to use Component instead of HDMI. (you can click Do not Show this again)   

If all is well tomorrow when the new spliter is put into the mix, the TV should no longer go black when I connect to the slingbox via computer or iphone.  The video on my TV should stay uninterrupted the whole time.

You know now that I think about this,  I'm almost certain a previous HDMI splitter I had at my old place must have disabled HDCP.  It's too bad I sold it.  My old reason to have a splitter was to watch TV in the living room and in the kitchen at the same time.   I was using the IOGear 3D HDMI Wireless device.   When I used the native splitter built in to the IOgear I got a black screen, or when it did work part time ,the tv would go blank for a few seconds as the kitchen connected. 

I had the bright idea to order a 1x2 splitter from MonoPrice and guess what?  I was then able to view TV in the livingroom and kitchen simultaneously.   (and the living room NEVER went black after that, was rock solid)

I'm feeling confident the splitter will keep things stable and trouble free.  (even if I don't have HBO, I still need it to keep things rock solid)

JazJon Newbie

Good (and bad) news!

The 1x4 HDMI splitter came today after all. (didn't realize it)  My rooomate didn't let me know I got a package and I stumbled across it tonight.

Ok so I hooked it up, and WHAMO, no more HDMI drop outs ever.     When I connect via SlingPlayer, the TV doesn't care and keep playing as if nothing happened at all.    The splitter is working just as I expected it to. (rock solid HDMI)

Now for the bad..........  (unrelated to HDCP)

The QUALITY of watching it via PC or iPhone sucks though.   It's super slow motion via Chrome or Firefox, and Super short spurts via iPhone SlingPlayer.

(very very strange)

I've started a whole new thread on this problem

https://community.sling.com/thread/22271

(see my two youtube video examples)

So while I have a successful no more HDCP handshaking issues, the qualiy is not good for me so far.  I'm going to call the support number if nobody responds to my post above.

I confirmed the problem happens even with the splitter taken out of the equation.  I even tried a different HDMI source.   I thought it looked a bit ovelry delayed and funny when I first tested it a few hours ago.   I even did a complete factory reset and tried from scratch. (same problem)  This is even on my home network, all ethernet.  I tried 4G just for the **** of it as well.

Anywy, I'll post more about this problem in: https://community.sling.com/thread/22271

I won't write up my big success story on thegreenbutton.tv until the general playback bugs are worked out.