4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 29, 2012 6:16 PM by tcaradonna RSS

PS3 as slingcatcher

jchino89

Is there a reason why development has pretty much stalled in getting more devices compatible as slingplayers? I can't imagine it would be so hard to get it working on the ps3 and I feel it would hugely increase the incentive for people to buy a slingbox.

• Re: PS3 as slingcatcher
          jchino89

Oh nm. I see the slingbox team doesn't care about its customers enough to answer any such questions.

tcaradonna Novice

Try this on the PS3 browser:

http://download.slingmedia.com/spcd/wdtv/index.html

I've heard some folks have gotten this to work on a PS3, but I have no means to test.  Give it a shot and let us know the results.

jchino89

Hmm I wonder why I could never find this option. Thanks for the tip.

Results: Works technically, but not usable.

It loads a plugin the ps3 asks you if it's ok to run.

It looks like a native app, but that's it. Response times to pressing buttons is really slow, sometimes doesn't work at all. Half the time the connection times out when connecting to sling box, a quarter it gets stuck at optimizing connection and a quarter it gets through but the audio and video aren't usable and it starts crashing as you try to get the menu to come up. I can't even get into the speed settings to try it at worst picture quality.

As I was typing this it froze the ps3 requiring a hard reset while "optimizing connection."

So it works, but doesn't work. Oh well. Better than before.

tcaradonna Novice

Thanks for reporting back.  Sorry it doesn't sound usable on a practical level.  However, the delay responding to remote commands is not uncommon for many "connected devices" including the slingcatcher (which I have) and wdtv (which I owned before).  I think it has to do with buffering the stream.