7 Replies Latest reply: Jun 19, 2013 7:41 AM by OvCollyer RSS

What is the optimal internet speed for 1080p output?

esbe002

Hello,

I'm a new owner of the SB350. What is the minimum speed to output in 1080p? I'm averaging about 2500-3000kpbs when streaming and video doesn't look HD. Can you provide some details?

Thanks,

• Re: What is the optimal internet speed for 1080p output?
          Apprentice

Hello esbe002,

Thank you for participating in the Answers Forums! When viewing in HD, you will need a minimum of 2 Mbps (1024kbps = 1 Mbps). You are meeting the minimum requirements for HD viewing. To clarify what is happening in your case, I do have a couple questions for you:

• What type of connection are you using? (i.e. Component, Composite)
          • Where are you trying to access the Slingbox from? (Home PC/MAC, iPad, Tablet, Android Phone etc)
          • What does the picture look like? (Grainy, Looks like a Standard Definition quality, lags etc)
          • What model Slingbox do you have?

Thank you,

The Sling Moderation Team

esbe002

See my comments below...

• What type of connection are you using? (i.e. Component, Composite) Compenent Cables
              • Where are you trying to access the Slingbox from? (Home PC/MAC, iPad, Tablet, Android Phone etc) I tested multiple devices and it looks like on my Galaxy S3, the pictue is pretty clear when I change it to HQ mode. However, on my Windows HP Laptop, the picture itself is okay, but there are large pixelations and slight color changes occuring. I'm not sure what better way to explain this... but the picture is not HD clear. The pixelation thing that's going on is actually really annoying when viewing it on my laptop. It looks even worse when I connect my latop via HDMI to project on my 55" LED TV. I tested my girlfriend's Macbook pro and the picture looks better than my HP laptop (no pixelation and color changes going on) but it's definately not HD quality. I'm averaging 2MB - 3MB streaming.
              • What does the picture look like? (Grainy, Looks like a Standard Definition quality, lags etc) As noted above, the picture itself looks okay, but the whole thing going on with slight color changes (lighter tones, then jumps to darker tones, although subtle, it is very annoying). The picture looks better than SD quality as I was using my SLINGBOX PRO model before getting the new SLINGBOX 350
              • What model Slingbox do you have? SLINGBOX 350
                OvCollyer Apprentice

I find you need a minimum of 3mbps to use the Best (HD) setting with the Slingbox 350.

I've tested various different Slingboxes, distances, sources, players and in my experience you absolutely can't use the top setting if you only have 2mbps.

In fact with a 60fps source you're hard pushed at 3mbps - more like 3.5mbps+ is needed.

sooben

Hello,

I too have the same connection speed as you despite having 17mb upload bandwidth (at slingbox 350 end) and and 25mb+ download bandwidth (at PC end). I use Web slingplayer on a fast quadcore Vista PC and whilst the quality is MUCH better than my old slingbox classic it is nowhere near the HD quality as I see a significant amount of pixelation when there is a lot of motion.

Perhaps next firmware update will take advantage of available bandwidth to improve the streaming quality....

Good luck.

wmayo44

You MAY be seeing this effect...

1080p may happening fine, but you are virtually MUCH closer to your computer monitor than the TV set. Go sit in front of the TV UP CLOSE, and you'll notice it doesn't look as crisp. Even my DirecTV has pixelization ... it at times was pretty bad on The Voice show with all the rapid image changes. Compression is much more noticeable up close. Doesn't explain color problems of other nature. I'm not saying this is your problem. But, this effect is real.