9 Replies Latest reply: Dec 10, 2012 8:34 PM by BillF52 RSS

SlingCatcher will not power on

BillF52

My SlingCatcher box has the older KTec power supply that no longer powers up the catcher.

Does anyone know how I can get a replacement power supply?   Will SlingMedia replace this PS for free if the catcher is out of warranty?

I have two SlingCatchers.  The KTec catcher PS broke on the 1st catcher 1 year ago and SlingMedia sent me a free replacement.  I am now having the same problem with my 2nd catcher that is also not in warranty.   I just need a good replacement (6V instead of 5V) PS and the catcher will still be good (I temporarilyput my other 6V PS on the 2nd catcher and the catcher power up so I know the 2nd catcher is still good; just need the 6V PS replacement).

Can I just send an email request to SlingMedia requesting a replacement PS?

Thanks.

• Re: SlingCatcher will not power on
          tcaradonna Novice

Check out Ebay.  You should be able to get an OEM for about $15-20.  You can try hitting up SlingMedia for a free one but I doubt you'll have luck with that.

However, in the meantime, I would NOT use a 6V as that is the wrong voltage(even if it works temporarily).  Must be 5V.  It is ok to get a power supply that has higher amperage (as the device only draws the amount of current it needs), but NOT voltage.  Please buy the correct supply, its not worth destroying your catcher.

BillF52

Before I go searching for a replacement power supply, I want to confirm what the SlingCatcher electrical specs actually should be.

Right now, my SlingBox Solo is being powered by a 5V, 4.0A, KTec power supply.

My one "working" SlingCatcher is being powered by a 6V, 2.0A, HON-KWAWG power supply.

My other "NOT working" SlingCatcher is being powered by the same power supply as my SlingBox Solo, the KTec 5V 4.0A. power supply.

I may have mistakenly swapped power supplys at some time in the past between all 3 boxes and now just need someone from SlingBox.com to confirm what the correct electrical specs should be, for BOTH the Solo and Catcher, before purchasing a new power supply to fix the one Catcher power problem.

When I plug in a KTec 5V power supply into EITHER SlingCatcher, the units will not turn on.

When I plug in the 6V HON-KWAWG power supply into EITHER SlingCatcher, both boxes power on and function normally.  That gives me the conclusion that the 6V power supply is the correct one for the SlingCatchers but just need to confirm this witht a tech on this forum.

Thanks.

tcaradonna Novice

I have 3 slingcatchers and they have all been Ktec 5V (including one from UK).  Did you check the slingcatcher itself to see if the voltage requirement is written there?  I know slingbox has shipped with other brands of power supply, but I've never heard of the one you have (not to say it isn't, I just don't know it).  Do you know for sure if it's original?

I'll check my own box for specs when I get home.

tcaradonna Novice

Confirmed the bottom of my box says 5V DC.

callanish Apprentice

I've purchased 5 power adapters for my slingcatchers directly from sling as well as a third party seller and they've all been 5V. Never actually had a problem with any of the 5V adapters that I've had running on both my slingcatchers. I just wanted a few backups and have cycled them to make sure they were all working correctly. Never heard of the slingcatcher running with a 6V power supply.

BillF52

All,

Thanks for doing the research on the catcher power supply with the correct voltage.  It sounds like everyone is agreement that the 5V PS is the correct one to use for a Catcher.

Here is my latest status on this issue.

I checked the label on both my Solo and two Catcher boxes and all say they require 5Vs.

The 5V supply that is connected to my Solo is still working for the Solo and also works when I connect the same supply to my Catcher.  The sticky label on the wire for this supply has pictures saying the supply will work only for a Solo or Catcher box (which I just confirmed).

However, when I take the identical 5V supply that was connected to my 2nd Catcher (when it recently stopped powering on) and connected the same supply to the Solo box, the Solo box would not power on either.  The one 5V supply is toast and the other that is connected to the Solo is "currently" still working.

So I guess I need to buy another 5V supply for my 2nd Catcher whose 5V supply no longer works.  The 6V supply connnected to my 1st Catcher was shipped to me last year by Sling Tech Support while they were troubleshooting the broken 5V supply that came with that Catcher.

Since the 6V supply has been connected and working for the last year on the 1st Catcher, I am going to continue to use it rather than having to replace two 5V supplies.

In summary, maybe it is a better idea to connect a 6V 2.0A supply to the Catcher since it seems the 5V 4.0A supply usually burns itself out over time.  Again, thanks to all for your help.

Bill

tcaradonna Novice

SlingMedia sent you the 6V supply?  That's very interesting.

If you have a volt meter, would you mind checking and telling us what the supply is actually outputing?  Thanks.

BillF52

I would be happy to test the 6V supply with a voltmeter.  However, this test will need to wait until at least tomorrow (or even the weekend) since the Catcher with this supply is in my daughter's home.

The specs for this supply (as it appears on the supply label) is: 6V, 2.4A (set to 2.0A max), HON-KWAWG power supply.  This supply does not have the Sling supplied shiny label attached to the box side of the cord that shows pix for the Sling boxes it should be used for.  The larger part of the supply that plugs into the wall is "fatter" than the Sling 5V supply (makes sense since it provides a higher voltage).

I remember trying this supply last year as Sling TS wanted me to try this supply first before exchanging my not working Catcher that would not power on with the original 5V supply.  After testing the 6V supply with my original Catcher and the Catcher would still not power on, TS sent me a replacement Catcher in an exchangeg for me returning the "broken" one.  Since I still had the 6V supply after the Catcher exchange, I continued to use it for a year now with no further problems.

This is the whole reason why I asked my question on this post in the first place.  I didn't want to buy the 5V supply knowing that it will most likely fail again as my original 5V supply.  I would rather buy the 6V one since it has been working with no problems, so far.

BillF52

I finally got around to measuring the voltage for the 6V HON-KWAWG power supply: 6.02Volts.  Not sure why this supply is working with the Catcher but it has been working for about 12 months now.  As long as it has been working, I will continue to use it.  Maybe it will last longer than the normal 5V supply that Sling sells as a replacement part.