22 Replies Latest reply: Dec 13, 2012 7:41 PM by alanrichey42 RSS

Having trouble with DVR Up/Down nav buttons jumping too many lines on Comcast Guide

BillF52

Hi,

I have a Slingbox Solo connected to XFinity via a Motorola RNG200N DVR.  Using the virtual Comcast remote, I select the "Guide" function to display the guide and then want to advance the guide by only one line either up or down using the virtual Comcast remote up/down navigation buttons.  When I click on the "up" nav button, most of the time the guide shifts by more than one line, as if i clicked the nav button more than once or like an extra key bounce.

I just re-downloaded the IR codes for this Motorola RNG200N DVR and the problem still occurs.

Would like to know if this a problem with my Solo or is it with the IR codes.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated since I can no longer reliably control the guide.  Thanks.

Bill

• Re: Having trouble with DVR Up/Down nav buttons jumping too many lines on Comcast Guide
          keith.sling Apprentice

Hello BillF52,

Thanks for utilizing our online forums! I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble with your onscreen remote. It sounds like you may want to try adjusting your remote in the advanced settings. Within the advanced settings you can manually adjust the speed of which the remote responds.

Here is a link to an article from our support pages describing the advanced settings function:

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

The Sling Moderation Team

• Re: Having trouble with DVR Up/Down nav buttons jumping too many lines on Comcast Guide
              BillF52

Thanks for the fast reply KWit.

I won't be able to try this until next weekend since I am currently no longer local to the Solo box.

I just tried to adjust the Internet settings remotely thru the Internet and the Sling web site responded with a message that I need to be on the Slingbox local network to change Internet settings (unless you know of a way I can get to the advanced settings remotely ).

alanrichey42 Master

You can adjust these settings remotely, as they are associated with the Video Sources setup rather than the Internet setup.   But I suspect it may not help.  By default Sling have implemented a fixed repeat rate of 3, and a sensitive receiver will react to both the first and the third transmission.

This is a standard Motorola box so you could try this Custom Remote and see if it help  Motorola DCT-6416 III PVR

BillF52

THe Motorola DCT 6416 DVR source gives me a strange looking remote control but the extra up/down clicks are no longer occurring.

I will stay with this source selection until the IR codes for the correct DVD can be updated.  How does one inform SlingBox TS about a problem with the IR codes for a given remote/DVR?

Thanks for your suggestion to use a similar video source.  I can now at least control the menu selections reliably.

Bill

alanrichey42 Master
                          The Motorola DCT 6416 DVR source gives me a strange looking remote control but the extra up/down clicks are no longer occurring.

It's the Comcast version.   Who is your provider ?   More importantly,  what selection did you make during the original setup that gave you the correct remote image ?  I might be able to 'link' the correct image with that working BIN file.

I will stay with this source selection until the IR codes for the correct DVD can be updated.  How does one inform SlingBox TS about a problem with the IR codes for a given remote/DVR?

In theory the Moderators should pick it up from this discussion.  But as far as I know they have no intention of ever changing the logic of their remotes so the only solution for 'double-skipping' will always be a Custom Remote.

keith.sling Apprentice

Hello again BillF52,

I wanted to let you know that I am looking further into the specific issue that you are having with your Motorola RNG200N DVR remote. I will let you know as soon as I have a resolution for you.

Regards,

dan333sp

Just wanted to say that I had been having the same issue 6 months ago and resolved it by using that Motorola DCT remote as recommended in this thread. However, I have no way of controlling the volume on my DVR box (the slider just adjusts the volume of playback after my laptop/phone get the signal) so if I want to use the sling player, I have to make sure the volume is turned all the way up when I leave the house. If it happens to be very low, I'm out of luck.

BillF52

Hey KWit,

Have you had a chance to update the Motorola RNG200N DVR remote to fix the extra key stroke problem?  I am currently using the Motorola DCT remote since it at least does not have the key bounce problem that the RNG200N remote has.  LEt me know if you updated this remote and I will give it a try.  Thanks.

Bill

alanrichey42 Master

What happened when you tried the Custom Remote I posted on 27 Nov?   You never acknowledged it or said if it worked or not.

BillF52

Hi alanrichey42,

I am using Windows 8 Pro (64-bit) and at first, I did not see the Program Files x86 folder to save your two Sling Player RNG2000 Remote .bin files to.

Then I realized that I needed to install the SlingPlayer application instead of using the browser activex control to find the folder you had referred to in the Readme.txt file.

Will those two remote control .bin files also work with the browser version of the Sling Player?  If so, where should they be copied to?

I remember trying your two .bin files back at the time you posted them but can't remember my experience.

I will try to find time tomorrow evening to try again and let you know.  Sorry for not replying back earlier.

Bill

alanrichey42 Master
                                              Will those two remote control .bin files also work with the browser version of the Sling Player?  If so, where should they be copied to?

You misunderstand, the BIN files are actually downloaded into the Slingbox and subsequently used by ALL viewing systems.  So it doesn't matter what method you use to install them.

And since I wrote those instructions  Sling have added the functionality to install Custom Remotes through the browser.  See http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-1000320.html

BillF52

Thanks for providing the article that describes how to install remote control code files from the browser (using the Custom set top box option).

I will give your remote control codes another try again later this evening and will let you know how it worked out.

Bill

alanrichey42 Master

It's not my article, it is one of Sling's 

BillF52

Hi alanrichey42,

I used the browser method to install your remote codes file "C1283_PL.bin" to the Solo box.  I had no problems installing the new C1283 remote codes using the browser method.  Thanks for providing the link reference on how to accomplish this.

While testing the new remote codes, the Guide navigation button no longer jump around with a key bounce (that is the good news).

However, the Guide's "exit" button is greyed out so the only remote button I can use to exit the guide is the "last" button.  Can you add the code to make the "Exit" button functional?

Also, I am now observing two anomalies that I am not sure has anything to do with the new remote codes (but they might have something to do with the new remote codes since I did not remember seeing these two anomalies before installing the new remote codes):

• I observed that when clicking the remote's Guide navigation button in any direction (down,up,left,right), 50% of the time, the selected guide text would quickly jump to the proper guide text, quickly jump right back to the previous selected guide text, and then jump back to the same correct guide text.  The final result was the proper text was selected but not after having to wait for the screen to settle down.
                                                        • the audio is no longer in sync with the video and lags the video by about 1 sec

Again, I am not sure these two anomalies are a result of the new codes but would like your advise on what to try next to get rid of them.

Thanks.

Bill

alanrichey42 Master
                                                            However, the Guide's "exit" button is greyed out so the only remote button I can use to exit the guide is the "last" button.  Can you add the code to make the "Exit" button functional?

Unfortunately not.   I seem to have done everything right but I cannot enable that button.  I can only assume that Sling have not mapped that button correctly in the Comcast image.

For the Moderators:   Please report this to your engineers.  If you install the attached BIN file, it appears that the Exit Button is using Code 037.  But when I map the correct IR code to Code 37 the button does not get enabled.

I observed that when clicking the remote's Guide navigation button in any direction (down,up,left,right), 50% of the time, the selected guide text would quickly jump to the proper guide text, quickly jump right back to the previous selected guide text, and then jump back to the same correct guide text.  The final result was the proper text was selected but not after having to wait for the screen to settle down.

That's a new one.   I have recompiled the BIN file with the IR Repeat button set to zero.  Copy attached, so re-run the setup using this new one.  Any better ?

the audio is no longer in sync with the video and lags the video by about 1 sec

I don't see how that can be related to changing the remote, but nothing about the Slingbox would surprise me .  All I can suggest is you try using the previous remote and see if it still happens.

Al

BillF52

I observed that when clicking the remote's Guide navigation button in any direction (down,up,left,right), 50% of the time, the selected guide text would quickly jump to the proper guide text, quickly jump right back to the previous selected guide text, and then jump back to the same correct guide text.  The final result was the proper text was selected but not after having to wait for the screen to settle down.

After I installed your new remote codes .bin file you porivided in the last post, the guide text jumping around reduced from 50% of the time to 10% of the time.  Your change to the remote codes is the best so far but still not 100% reliable.  I will stick with these latest remote codes for a while as long as the 10% of the time does not become anoying.

Also, I would really like the remote's "Exit" button to work.  Hope a moderator offers a suggestion.

the audio is no longer in sync with the video and lags the video by about 1 sec

I tried your suggestion for switching my remote codes back to the original Sling codes for the Motorola RNG2000 and the audio is still out of sync with the video by about 1 sec (vey annoying).  I even tried to disable hardware accelaration in the SlingPlayer settings (as per another forum suggestion) but the audio is still not in sync with the video.  I tried both the browser SlingPlayer and the Windows app SlingPlayer.  Both still show audio and videio out of sync.

Do you have any other suggestions for fixing the syncing of audio and video?

keith.sling Apprentice

Hey BillF52,

I'm glad you are able to use a similar remote that functions properly for you, sorry about any inconvenience you've had. I have reported the issue to our developers for resolution in a future release.

Thanks for your continued participation in our forum community!

Kind Regards,