29 Replies Latest reply: Dec 1, 2012 3:00 PM by tcaradonna RSS

connection issues with WDLive

davidstoll Newbie

I have constant connectivity issues with the sling app on the Western Digital Live box.  I am using ethernet, not wireless.  Sling in a web browser is just fine.  I checked and my WDLive says I have the latest software (actually just updated a week or two ago).  I've seen in various places on the web people having a similar experience.  Is this something that can be fixed or is there some kind of bug?  All other streaming services on the WDLIve play content (including HD) very well.  I've tried "auto" and even tried the lowest bitrate setting, but it still disconnects after a couple of minutes, very consistantly.  In a web browser, I get excellent HD quality.

• Re: connection issues with WDLive
          OvCollyer Apprentice

Welcome to the club.

Does it give any kind of message when it disconnects? Does it reconnect again automatically?

davidstoll Newbie

It says the connection was lost and does not auto reconnect.

I just click ok and then select the same unit again and it connects just fine.  At first I can get HD, but it keeps asking to downgrade the quality and then disconnects again...over and over.

I've tried to reboot too, but this happened before the last update too.

OvCollyer Apprentice

Hmm that sounds like a different issue to the one I've been having where it freezes the video but remains connected.

Are you viewing locally or remotely?

I read somewhere where some people were having some issues like this and the suggestion to fix was something to do with DHCP timeouts.

Bottom line is the WD Slingplayer app is very fussy, and unfortunately Sling don't seem to want to respond to any of the issues being reported. I'd suggest also logging a ticket with WD, maybe that would have some effect of prodding someone into action.

davidstoll Newbie

remote viewing

where do I go to make a ticket?

OvCollyer Apprentice

For Western Digital I used email support, from this page

http://support.wdc.com/

For Sling, I used their live chat but it was fairly useless and there was no real attempt to get to the root of my issue, I got the impression the person I spoke to wasn't knowledgeable enough, maybe working from a crib sheet or something.

Apprentice

Hello davidstoll,

I'm sorry to hear you are having trouble viewing your Slingbox. After looking into your account, it is currently is showing that the Internet Viewing is not setup with your Slingbox. Please check out the following links for assistance with setting this up:

Hope this helps! Have a great day!

Best Regards,

The Sling Moderation Team

davidstoll Newbie

Thanks for responding, but I'm not sure what "Internet Viewing is not setup with your Slingbox" means.  I can view my slingboxes over the internet just fine, so you must be referring to something else.  Can you inform me?

Thanks

Apprentice

Hello davidstoll,

I'm sorry for the confusion. With the Slingbox you can set it up to view at the home location and at a remote location. In order to view it outside the home, the Internet Viewing option must be setup. In the previous post, I have a provided links explaining the Internet Viewing setup and it also walks you through the steps of doing so.

Thank you,

davidstoll Newbie

Again, I can view my slingbox when I am away from home, so I believe it is setup correctly.

I guess I'm still confused.  Wouldn't it simply not work at all remotely if it was not setup to do so?

Apprentice

Hello davidstoll,

Thank you for the prompt response. I double checked your account and it does show that it failed when setting up the Internet Viewing. When you go through setup for Internet Viewing and it tests it to make sure it is setup, do you get a message that says "Incomplete" or "Internet Viewing is setup"? Even when it shows that it's "Incomplete" it will still allow you to view it but you will run into certain issues when trying to do so. Is there a way you can go back through the Internet Viewing setup to see what it is showing?

Thank you,

davidstoll Newbie

I went through the process again and it says internet viewing is setup sucessfully.

I do remember doing this when I first set up.

Apprentice

Hello davidstoll,

After receiving your response and checking your account again, it now shows that Internet Viewing has passed. Have you since tested viewing the Slingbox again in a remote location after going back through the configuration?

Thank you,

davidstoll Newbie

I am still getting "connection lost" after a few minutes.

tcaradonna Novice

"Internet viewing" in setup refers to the ability to watch slingbox using a specific kind of connection.  What kind of slingbox do you have?  New 350/500 or older one?  If it's an older one you must have port 5001 forwarded to your slingbox in order to watch via any method other than the webplayer.  (Webplayer always works because it uses an alternate method.)  If you have a 350/500 it will use 5201 instead.  You can confirm if that port is open on your network by going to the following website:

http://www.canyouseeme.org/

If the port returns as closed you probably have to manually setup port forwarding on your firewall to direct internet traffic for 5001 to your slingbox ip.

davidstoll Newbie

My router has UPNP, so port 5001 gets auto configured.

I actually have 2 sling units.  One is an original and the other is a "Pro-HD" and is the one I am having trouble with.

They are at 2 different locations.

OvCollyer Apprentice

Can you press the red button on the WD remote just after you connect, and firstly confirm it says 'tcpWAN' as the connection type, but also maybe this will give some clues as to the lead up to the disconnection, I.e. does the bitrate drop suddenly, or does it disconnect when the stream is apparently still being received?

Maybe that will help Sling or someone technical should they see this thread (we can dream)....

davidstoll Newbie

The connection type says "relay".

Watching this screen, sometimes it chews throught the buffer (i.e. 0 seconds) and freezes for a couple of seconds and then recovers, but sometimes it doesn't recover and that's when I get a "connection lost".  Nothing regarding the bandwidth seems strange to me.  Yes, it fluctuats slightly, but it seems to depend on the necessary bitrate for the action on the screen.

Again, I don't seem to have this issue with a web browser.

OvCollyer Apprentice

Relay is likely your problem.

For the WDTV there are two connection types:

TCP - optimum connection direct to your Slingbox

Relay - backup method connecting via Sling servers

For the web player there are three:

TCP - as above

SNATT - still a good method chosen if TCP not available

Relay - as above

It seems TCP port forwarding isn't working - this would explain why WDTV connects using the poorer Relay type but the web player is still able to get a decent stream using SNATT.

Search the forums/support documents for setting up port forwarding or 'Internet Viewing' as it is sometimes termed.

EDIT: just re-read the thread and seen you've been through this already - so the fact the WDTV is using Relay doesn't really make sense. Maybe try a manual port forward instead of using UPnP?

andrermf Newbie

Ovcoyller I'm having a different issue:

I can watch my SB500 Remotely anytime on the webplayer but with the WDTV what happens is this. It's starts freezing 2 or 3 times. After that I can no longer connect to the SB500. I can find it in the WDTV directory stating REMOTE; AVAILABLE but when I connect it says START STREAMING and finally it says can't connect after 10 seconds (ERROR 1003)

Then I do a Hard reset of the SB500 and I can connect and watch it over the WDTV again. It's freezes 2 or 3 times and I can't watch it anymore . I have to do a hard reset again of the SB500. Now Imagine me calling the family to make an hard reset of the SB500 and install the firmware etc etc.

Any clue of what can be happening?

Cheers

OvCollyer Apprentice

Hmm I've not seen that behaviour myself - what happens if you leave it for a few minutes instead of hard resetting? Just wonder if the 500 is rebooting itself after crashing or something.

Is your connection type showing up as tcpWAN or Relay? Press the red button on the WDTV when streaming.

andrermf Newbie

I've left for a few minutes already like yesterday night for example. It doesn't work, It's TCPWan .

OvCollyer Apprentice

Hmmm, I don't know then.

Does this happen on any stream quality, or just the highest?

Pretty awful if simply using your WDTV Slingplayer means you need to hard reset the Slingbox in order to use it again.

andrermf Newbie

Well after I get a "can connect to the slingbox" I still can connect through the webplayer. I just need to do a hard reset of the slingbox if I want to watch it again in the WDTV. It's weird.

With the other types of quality I don't  know but happens a bit like to you. HD 5-15minutes and freezes, BETTER a little bit more time but freezes too. When I restart for the 3 4th or 5th time then I get the message that can't connect anymore.

Le'ts hope the next firmware updates solve something. When you try the sony google tv or visio let us know.

OvCollyer Apprentice

Assume you've tried rebooting the WDTV itself after you've received the 'cannot connect' error?

I expect to have my hands on the Sony or Vizio in two weeks when I'm next in London, which I will then bring back here to Istanbul - so I should be able to be able to report back with my findings shortly after (maybe 15th/16th/17th December) which will hopefully help these experiencing the freezing issue and are looking for a viable alternative - if it works!

andrermf Newbie

I've done that but I'll do it again just in case.

I've google for Vizio+slingplayer and the Snoy NSZ with slingplayer but didn't find nothing.

Yesterday I finally tried the slingcatcher and indeed asks for the password of the slingbox ( strange). Slingcatcher is very stable. Indeed a good project. I think that Slingbox 500 can work as a catcher in the future. It has slingprojector my media etc..everything like the catcher. let's wait and see.

Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 03:03:05 -0800

From: answers@slingmedia.com

To: andrermf@hotmail.com

Subject: Re: - connection issues with WDLive

Slingbox Answers Forum

reply from OvCollyer in General Questions - View the full discussion

Assume you've tried rebooting the WDTV itself after you've received the 'cannot connect' error? I expect to have my hands on the Sony or Vizio in two weeks when I'm next in London, which I will then bring back here to Istanbul - so I should be able to be able to report back with my findings shortly after (maybe 15th/16th/17th December) which will hopefully help these experiencing the freezing issue and are looking for a viable alternative.

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on Slingbox Answers Forum

Start a new discussion in General Questions at Slingbox Answers Forum

tcaradonna Novice

Agree with above suggestion about port forwarding.

Check it manually on the firewall.  Relay is a safety net for tcp when not working.  You can prove it as I indicated before by checking if the port is open from various websites.

andrermf Newbie

Thanks Tcaradonna. Will test the port and let you know. I've reboot the WDTV and still can't connect. THis slingplayer flash app it's a mess

Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 05:54:52 -0800

From: answers@slingmedia.com

To: andrermf@hotmail.com

Subject: Re: - connection issues with WDLive

Slingbox Answers Forum

reply from tcaradonna in General Questions - View the full discussion

Agree with above suggestion about port forwarding.  Check it manually on the firewall.  Relay is a safety net for tcp when not working.  You can prove it as I indicated before by checking if the port is open from various websites.

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on Slingbox Answers Forum

Start a new discussion in General Questions at Slingbox Answers Forum

davidstoll Newbie

It appears...knock on wood, that tcpWAN is now the connection and appears to have made a huge difference.

The thing that confused me is my router has uPnP and auto opened that port...it's open.  But manually forwarding the port on top of that ensured it was working properly.

Will let you know if anything changes.

Thank you so much for your help.