9 Replies Latest reply: Aug 10, 2011 3:13 AM by KKen Branched to a new discussion. RSS

Should I Update my SlingPlayer version or no?

cmw

Hi I have a SlingBox Pro (not HD) and I haven't updated my slingplayer years because I remember reading a lot of stuff how it can ruin everything if you update the firmware. So I am still using an old version (1.5.0.325) I've been out of the loop on the latest with SlingPlayer so I was just wondering if I should keep the version I have or update it? Am I missing out on anything by not updating? Is it still dangerous to update it? Thanks!

• Re: Should I Update my SlingPlayer version or no?
          Denis247 Newbie

I use Slingplayer 2.0.4 with my Pro, and no problems. I also have v1.5 on a usb stick for use on other people's pc's. Because v1.5 is able to run direct from a usb stick, it doesn't need to be installed, it's a handy thing to have, just copy the entire Slingplayer 1.5 folder to a spare location. To run it just click on Slingplayer.exe.

Then you can install the latest slingplayer and if it causes trouble, delete it and use your saved copy of 1.5.

alanrichey42 Master

Just to confirm that you understand that updating to Slingplayer V2.0.4 does not 'directly' affect your Slingbox, it is purely the viewer software on your PC/Mac.   Although I would point out that as part of the 'upgrade' from V1.5 SlingMedia removed the option of displaying the custom buttons along the bottom of the screen so if you need those retaining do NOT upgrade.

The problems you are talking about are related to updating the firmware on the Slingbox and although you will be prompted mercilessly to upgrade it you don't have to accept it.  

cmw

Ok i guess i am getting the slingplayer and the firmware confused then. So the Firmware is the one that everyone said not to upgrade to? yeah i keep getting that pop up message whenever i start my slingplayer to upgrade the firmware and i also say no. Should i continue to do that? am I missing out on anything? I just don't wanna make things worse by upgrading if there is really no advantage in doing so...

alanrichey42 Master

Impossible question to answer    You do see lots of people post that firmware upgrades fried their boxes and I have to say I appeared to lose the Tuner portion of my Classic following a firmware update.   On the other hand, I assume that Sling run extensive tests on firmware both in-house and through a Beta program before they are released, so it is unlikely that the actual contents of the firmware code cause the damage,  But what it does, of course, is write to an area of flash memory that isn't normally written to and also resets the box, and I can see that if this flash memory is a bit dodgy and perhaps corrupts when written to, why this might affect the hardware of the box and appear to be a as result of the firmware upgrade.  So in my opinion attempting to downgrade the firmware, as some people suggest, is rather pointless, as what has happened is more likely a hardware failure within the box, not a bad piece of code in the firmware.

But by not upgrading you do miss out on all the bug fixes and stream enhancments that are added each time a new firmware is issued, and I have to say some of these give quite noticeable improvements.

On balance, although I normally subscribe to the 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' brigade, I always accept the firmware upgrades, even doing them remotely, which is not recommended.   And apart from losing the tuner on an old Classic I have never seen a problem on any of my 4 Slingboxes.

alanrichey42 Master

Sorry, forgot to mention you can always run both V1.5 and V2.0.4 side-by-side.   If you have V1.5 installed simply rename the folder C:\Program Files\Sling Media\Slingplayer\ to C:\Program Files\Sling Media\Slingplayer15\  (And edit any shortcuts you might have to Slingplayer.exe in the Start menu or Desktop).

Now install V2.0.4 and it will go into C:\Program Files\Sling Media\Slingplayer\ without overwriting the V1.5 files.

cmw

so upgrading to the newest firmware will really improve the video quality if I have the Slingbox Pro (not HD) ? If so, then I will would consider updating.

Another question, I have slingplayer installed on a few different computers. And whenever I open up the slingplayer and it always asks me if i want to update the firmware, if I click on OK, does that change things for the slingplayer on the particular computer that's asking me if I want to update? or does it actually change something in the physical SligBOX itself and therefore whichever computer I open SlingPlayer with will now see a new version?

alanrichey42 Master

Again, you MUST differentiate between the various systems.   Slingplayer is just one method of viewing the output of a Slingbox, there is also Slingplayer Mobile, Slingcatcher, Sling.com....  Now each of these will try and keep itself up-to-date, so when, for example, you start Slingplayer 1.5 you will get a message that a newer version (2.0.0) is available.  That is NOT an invitation to upgrade the firmware, that is an invitation to just upgrade the player on that PC. So if you accept that upgrade all you have done is upgrade the viewer software on that single PC.  No other PC or any other viewer program, or the Slingbox itself is affected.  If you start Slingplayer on another PC you will still get the identical message.

The firmware is different.  That is the Operating System on your Slingbox, so if that is updated from one computer it affects everything, not just that PC.  So once that is done you will not see a message on any other PC.  But you will not see any major visual changes when you view the Slingbox as firmware just changes things 'under the hood', clearing bugs, enhancing the stream.....  

adfinney

I have seen no difference in any of the SlingPlayers. I have tried every one I can find from old to new, software, or online, and they all work the same. THE PROBLEM is with the firmware! The recent firmware knocked out the sound on component, s video and composite, and knocked out coax all together!!!  Sling refuses to admit there is a firmware problem even though I have seen dozens of posts to the contrary. Interestingly enough, they delete most of the ones posted on this site! All of the ones that have endured are on other sites.

When calling for help, they specifically state that there has been no issue reported with the firmware (a lie). I even offered to pay the $29 for specific help, however, they would not provide a clear path to resolution, implying that it would be $29 per question, and that most likely I would have to talk to my computer manufacturer. I have tried it on 7 different computers with the same result. Furthermore, I've tried multiple routers/hubs. It all points back to the firmware update.  I would rather they attempt to tell me that I probably dropped it and broke it than this conspiracy type denial!

What gives Sling? You used to be so cool!

KKen Newbie

I have a slingbox Pro

Firmware 1.0.39

Hardware 1.34.1

I just got an iPad 2 and before I consider downloading the app for it I read somewhere I will have to

upgrade my firmware to at least 1.3.7.0.  This worries me since all I read is horror stories.

I don't even run the latest player on my PC as I found its performace was not as good

as the older version.

Would there be player availabe for my iPad2 that I can use that will work with

my firmware?   I am very happy with the firmware I use now and I have no problems

and I don't want and features to change.  I could care less about bells and whistles

just want things to work

thanks

Ken