4 Replies Latest reply: Nov 24, 2012 8:05 AM by johannasix RSS

Connecting from Qatar

johannasix

Hello -

I am trying to configure my Slingbox to stream to my dad's laptop in Qatar since recently updating our router here at home (USA). Please note that we did have this previously working, and on a slower connection. The error message (no code) that appears is: "We detected very poor Internet connectivity or a loss of Internet connection. Please verify that your Internet connectivity is working fine before retrying."

I have tried disabling firewalls on both ends, and still receive that error message. I can connect remotely from elsewhere here in the US. I am not convinced that it is a speed issue, because like I said, we had it working when he had a slower connection.

Any thoughts?

• Re: Connecting from Qatar
          shaysfn Novice

Hey johannasix,

Thanks for using our Answers Forum.  I understand that your having trouble getting your dad connected to his Slingbox from Qatar.

This would be a speed issue, however, it could be the speed where your dad is watching the Slingbox as well as well as the speed where

the Slingbox is connected.

Is your father at a hotel or is it a private home with its own internet?  The more people accessing the same network, the lower the connection

speed would be.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks,

Sling Media Moderation Team

johannasix

Thanks for your response.

He is in a private home with his own internet.

Our speeds here (USA, measured using speedtest.com) average 19.35Mbps download, and 1.89Mbps upload.

His speeds averaged at 4Mbps download, and .45Mbps upload.

He did just try again to connect, and the error message this time was, "There was an error connecting to your Slingbox. Please try again." No error code. But we can access it remotely here in the US. Note that if we keep pressing Reconnect, the error switches back to the original error I posted above.

Any and all help appreciated.

shaysfn Novice

Hey johannasix,

Good to hear from you again.  This sounds to me like it could actually be an issue with the comptuer that your dad is using.  The reason I say this is because you are able to connect with everything else.

The one sure way to test this is to see if he can get another computer there and try connecting to the Slingbox with that one.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks,

Sling Media Moderation Team

johannasix

I just wanted to report back and let everyone know that the latest SlingPlayer_Plugin_3.3.18.363 update fixed the issue. My dad is now able to connect and view our programming here in the States.

Because it was a software update that fixed the issue, I stand by my original theory that it wasn't a speed or an issue on our (user) end. Thanks for fixing the issue, Slingbox.